Nexus 6P and Verizon WiFi calling

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the Nexus 6P will be able to use this functionality. I know it is already built in for Project Fi, but will Verizon only roll it out to the Samsungs and Apples of the world?

What do you think and will there be anything special we will have to do?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think one day it'll work for them but that won't be till Verizon makes wifi calling more of a standard versus being a new thing.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Well if Verizon is anything like At&t they won't roll it out anytime soon to the 6P. At&t is only allowing the iPhone to WiFi calling right now

Posted via the Android Central App

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if there was a way around that I seem to remember some people doing it on T-Mobile with the Moto X. Not sure, but it was a thought. No big deal just checking all options.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When they roll it out is it available to any compatible phone or more likely limited initially(iPhone/Samsung)?

I would think at first it will be limited so they can use them as the testers -- then after that I would think it would work like the others.

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything new on this. My 6P is my primary business phone. I often find myself in places where Vzw has a poor signal but I do have access to WiFi. It would be great if this would work. Anyone know anything?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The lack of, or questionable, support for WiFi calling on Verizon is what drove me to Project Fi. There are some blips here and there, but the WiFi calling is a HUGE benefit to me as my office is a veritable faraday cage when it comes to Verizon signal. My Fi signal at work is MUCH better than I was getting on Verizon also, I was able to hotspot at my desk rather than needing to go outside (and the door outside is only 20 feet from my desk).

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The 6p will never have Wi-Fi calling support on Verizon. The only phone that does currently is the Galaxy S6 and I would bet that Verizon would certify and enable Wi-Fi calling on lots of their own branded devices before even attempting to work on an unbranded unlocked phone that isn't even really supposed to be on Verizon.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
The 6p will never have Wi-Fi calling support on Verizon. The only phone that does currently is the Galaxy S6 and I would bet that Verizon would certify and enable Wi-Fi calling on lots of their own branded devices before even attempting to work on an unbranded unlocked phone that isn't even really supposed to be on Verizon.

You might be right, I get wifi calling through my Nexus 9 and the app Verizon Messages.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The lack of, or questionable, support for WiFi calling on Verizon is what drove me to Project Fi. There are some blips here and there, but the WiFi calling is a HUGE benefit to me as my office is a veritable faraday cage when it comes to Verizon signal. My Fi signal at work is MUCH better than I was getting on Verizon also, I was able to hotspot at my desk rather than needing to go outside (and the door outside is only 20 feet from my desk).
What kind of blips? I'm thinking a out giving fi a try also and I'm on Verizon currently.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What kind of blips? I'm thinking a out giving fi a try also and I'm on Verizon currently.

My phone mysteriously drops cell signal, it could go from 50% on the meter by the clock one second to searching for signal the next and the phone never moved. I've dropped 3 calls, 2 of which I attribute to Google not figuring out how to route incoming calls over WiFi when there is a cell signal present (and they haven't sorted out auto-switching to WiFi if cell signal drops) and the 3rd might have been a missed handoff from tower to tower.

I think the drops are specifically related to my location, your experience may be different. For me, the WiFi calling ability outweighs any drops I may experience as I can always initiate the call myself and it will route over WiFi. Plus, I can text using Hangouts in my browser and answer calls that way if I choose. If Google can improve the routing of calls over WiFi even when cell service is present I would have absolutely no second thoughts.

Oh yeah, the pricing structure is pretty good for someone that doesn't use a ton of data.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Using Project Fi with a Nexus 6P, and wifi calling and texting works just fine.

As far as Verizon goes, I gave up on them as well. I won't have a Samsung phone, and their first release of wifi calling was on new Samsung phones. Wifi calling will be enabled by iOS 9.3 on Verizon (iPhone 6/6s) as well, but that's just not good enough. I decided some time ago that Verizon was too expensive for me, so have been looking for alternatives for some time. Since I live in a fringe area for Verizon, etc., wifi calling (or a femtocell) is a must. Found Project Fi, has great wifi functionality, and the Nexus 6P is a great phone. Decided that was just perfect for me, and is much less expensive going forward. Working quite well.

And, surprisingly to me, Sprint has turned out to be the strongest cellular provider in my area. Didn't expect that one *smile*.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I use my 6P with T-Mobile and am able to use WiFi calling without a problem. Unfortunately, Verizon tends to be more locked down with their phones.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if there was a way around that I seem to remember some people doing it on T-Mobile with the Moto X. Not sure, but it was a thought. No big deal just checking all options.
Wifi calling on T-Mobile works great with the 6P. I've been using it in Japan for the past week to call back home(Hawaii).
Heck, Fwiw T-Mobile in Japan rocks on Softbanks(sprints sister company lol) network for data and using Google Maps!

pamelany80

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I suggest tweeting to Verizon wireless support and posting in the verizon wireless forums requesting certification of the Nexus 6p. I have done so myself, the only thing we can do is try to have our voice heard in numbers.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I suggest tweeting to Verizon wireless support and posting in the verizon wireless forums requesting certification of the Nexus 6p. I have done so myself, the only thing we can do is try to have our voice heard in numbers.

So maybe 10 people have spoken up to Verizon? They will not care if you tweet.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I think one day it'll work for them but that won't be till Verizon makes wifi calling more of a standard versus being a new thing.

You're probably right, Verizon is going to prioritize the phones that they sell first then the phones that they don't.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Not only that.... Doesn't Verizon pride themselves on having the best coverage in America? I think that, by making wifi calling a standard on every phone, not only the phones Verizon sells? It Would be like Verizon admitting that their network isn't as good as it is touted. So... I would believe wifi calling would be well down on the pole of priorities of their services they offer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch