Nexus 6P - Tmo wifi call question

mtndew2756

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm over in the EU right now and it does not look like my 6P is using the wifi for calling. I believe it's supposed to say under the signal icon in the settings tray, but it just says t-mobile. Is there a way to check, either in the phone or by app, if I'm actually on wifi or not? It's supposed to work with these phones but I'm having such a hard time confirming.

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tmo wifi call question

Whenever you place a call there should be a 'WiFi' icon somewhere to show that you're, in fact, using WiFi calling to place/receive said call.

If you're in a hotel, some of them may block the ports/data packets needed for WiFi calling, so you might not be able to use that. Most of the time, when you turn WiFi calling ON and you connect to WiFi, a red indicator should pop up in your notification bar if the connection failed.

Another way to find out is to put your phone in Airplane mode then manually turning WiFi on. If WiFi calling is on and the network allows it, it should be able to place a call.

mtndew2756

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Tmo wifi call question

I have not seen an icon for wifi calling ever appear on the bar of a stock android phone, just one that came with the tmobile software installed. Do you have an example of what the indicator would look like? I thought stock meant that would be missing.

I'll give the airplane mode a try and see if that works, thanks for the recommendation.

What I'm realizing is that I got the phone during my 4 days back stateside between trips. I don't recall making a wifi call with it while there in the US, so it may be that I just never "initialized" it and it won't let me do so while roaming. I really hope thats not the case...

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile WiFi calling works on the N6P. I've used it, but had to turn it off because VPNs don't support WiFi calling. You can test the feature by putting your N6P into "Airplane Mode". After all the radios are deactivated, reconnect to the WiFi system. You might have to wait a few seconds, but you can active WiFi when in Airplane Mode. Once you are on WiFi, try placing a call. The call might not go through because of network restrictions, but it will show that the function exist.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile WiFi calling works on the N6P. I've used it, but had to turn it off because VPNs don't support WiFi calling. You can test the feature by putting your N6P into "Airplane Mode". After all the radios are deactivated, reconnect to the WiFi system. You might have to wait a few seconds, but you can active WiFi when in Airplane Mode. Once you are on WiFi, try placing a call. The call might not go through because of network restrictions, but it will show that the function exist.

Tried this just to test it out and I received a pop up that said to turn off airplane mode to make the call. Nothing about WiFi calling at all. Im on 6.0.1 tmobile

Posted via the Android Central App

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
After you activate Airplane mode, you have to go into WiFi and connect to a wireless network.Before placing a call, ensure you have connected to a WiFi network. Dial "611" and see if the call connects.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
After you activate Airplane mode, you have to go into WiFi and connect to a wireless network.Before placing a call, ensure you have connected to a WiFi network. Dial "611" and see if the call connects.

Connected to my home WiFi. Disconnects when I put airplane mode on then I turn it back on and get this.

Attachments

• 7547.jpg
    7547.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 112

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you. After reconnecting to my home WiFi network while in Airplane Mode , I can dial a call. The phone app displays "WiFi Call" and T-Mobile customer care answers the call. I surmise that your N6P dialer isn't detecting an active WiFi connection. Are you using the Google phone app/dialer? Is the WiFi calling feature turned on?

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Nope Haha had no idea how to turn it on until I just looked it up. Will probably never use it since I have fine reception most of the time but good to know it would work.

mtndew2756

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Mine is definitely turned on with the slider to wifi preferred. Just tested in airplane mode and no-go. I've actually had to throw my sim in my old HTC to get wifi calling to work. It's a huge deal to me right now, not because of any signal issue but because calling to the states from the EU is free via wifi, $0.20 a min if not using wifi.

I assume I should go to google with this? I imagine asking tmobile they will just say "not our issue" since they don't see the phone.

mtndew2756

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
So, now I'm really confused. I bought signal check pro to verify that I'm getting LTE while traveling abroad, turns out I am. Well, I noticed that when I switched wifi on this morning, my LTE signal on the SCP widget disappeared and it went to wifi only yet I still have signal bars and can make a call. This tells me that I'm running on wifi calling, but when I pull down the top bar, it still shows tmobile, not wifi, under the cellular indicator. Also, I still can't make calls while on airplane mode with wifi running, so thats a concern.

Are there any apps out there that can verify wifi calling during an active conversation? If not, I'm going to do a few test calls and then hit up tmobile to see if they can verify what I was using during those calls.

Screenshot_20151214-094740.jpg
Screenshot_20151214-094754.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Careful! LTE doesn't mean that you're not getting a mobile signal! It means you're not using mobile DATA (which is why it goes away when you turn on WiFi). BUT if you don't see the WiFi Calling legend when placing a call, that call is being placed on the normal network with potential roaming charges (which is why you have that 'R' on top of the signal indicator).

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
just tried it myself. wifi calling works in airplane mode. dialed 611 and it says wifi calling. this is useful for traveling overseas to make sure I'm using wifi calling instead roaming locally.

Attachments

• 17187.jpg
    17187.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 89

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress