What is the best Facebook alternative?

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
First of all I just want to let you know that I searched "best facebook alternatives", "best facebook apps", and some other search strings, and found nothing useful or even recent.

I was sitting on the can last night and my Nexus 9 rebooted. Didn't bother me much as I've had the tablet for a month and that was the first time that happened. I'm at work this morning and installed Folio on my Nexus 6P as an alternative to Facebook. When I tap the icon to open the app - REBOOT!! Then it struck me that I installed Folio on my N9 a couple of days ago - could that be the culprit??!!

So, I am now looking for some other suggestions for Facebook. What are you guys using? Thanks!!

GC

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
First of all I just want to let you know that I searched "best facebook alternatives", "best facebook apps", and some other search strings, and found nothing useful or even recent.

I was sitting on the can last night and my Nexus 9 rebooted. Didn't bother me much as I've had the tablet for a month and that was the first time that happened. I'm at work this morning and installed Folio on my Nexus 6P as an alternative to Facebook. When I tap the icon to open the app - REBOOT!! Then it struck me that I installed Folio on my N9 a couple of days ago - could that be the culprit??!!

So, I am now looking for some other suggestions for Facebook. What are you guys using? Thanks!!

GC

do you mean you're looking for a replacement for the Facebook app, but still want to use Facebook, or your just looking for a different social media site all together?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Use chrome and turn on web notifications. I've been thinking about uninstalling the fB app, at times it eats battery like crazy.

Posted via the Android Central App

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Metal appears to be a wrapper for the mobile site with a few extras thrown in. Couldn't get it to post pictures from my phone though. Think it may have been a permissions error. I just pinned the mobile site to my home screen and use that. Works just fine. Like that I don't have to use the messenger app to send messages this way.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Metal appears to be a wrapper for the mobile site with a few extras thrown in. Couldn't get it to post pictures from my phone though. Think it may have been a permissions error. I just pinned the mobile site to my home screen and use that. Works just fine. Like that I don't have to use the messenger app to send messages this way.

Yes, it is a wrapper. And, yes, you can post pictures. I didn't have to adjust any permissions. Click "Add Photos" at the top then you'll get a "Select Photos" screen. Tap on the empty box. It will bring up your recent photos. You can use the side menu to access other photos. A little more effort than just sharing to Facebook but it's worth it.

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for Metal here. It replaces 3 apps .. The Facebook app, its separate messenger app and you can use it for Twitter too.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Nexus 6P

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know of a Facebook Messenger alternative app? I hate that it runs in the background.

If you just want to send and receive Facebook "email," Metal will let you do it because the web interface allows that. As far as I can tell, you can't "chat" using the web interface.

James8561

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
If you just want to send and receive Facebook "email," Metal will let you do it because the web interface allows that. As far as I can tell, you can't "chat" using the web interface.
you can. I chat on the fb mobile site using Samsung browser all the time