Keyboard question

DavinFelth

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't noticed until this thread, but I don't see that key on the stock keyboard as well.

Edit:

Looks like it depends on what app you're in. When I'm doing a text message, the carriage return key is missing (an emoji key is in it's place). But, in Gmail, it's there.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
In some texting apps, like WhatsApp or Messaging, you can define the action for the enter key. You can select to add a new line or send the message. Search for this option in the app settings.

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Wow, you are right! Never noticed that. I don't understand why that is.
I went with swift key for now.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't noticed until this thread, but I don't see that key on the stock keyboard as well.

Edit:

Looks like it depends on what app you're in. When I'm doing a text message, the carriage return key is missing (an emoji key is in it's place). But, in Gmail, it's there.

If I recall correctly, you long-press the emoji key in order to get an "enter key" effect.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I just want to point out that if you happen to use voice typing mixed with a keyboard (as I do, because I cannot stand typing on that tiny thing, and it does not matter which keyboard app I use), you can say "new line" to add a carriage return. Although the voice-to-text app is weird in how it works in this case. Sometimes, it adds a new line, other times, it prints out the actual words, "new line." I'm not really sure how it decides.