Severe Wakelock Issues

Arcendus

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've been searching for days on this so hopefully someone here has some insight on this.

I'm having some pretty bad wakelock issues, and I can't figure out what's causing this. I'd rather not root the device, since I have Nexus Protect and don't want to risk voiding that, so the tools I'm left with to figure out what's causing this are a bit primitive.

I read somewhere that Bluetooth scanning can cause wakelock issues like this, so I turned that off yesterday. So far today, the results are the same.

Screenshots: Nexus 6P Wakelock 03/30/2016 - Album on Imgur

As you can see, I've barely been using the thing at all, and yet it's been awake almost constantly since I left for work this morning. As far as widgets, all I'm using are Google Clock, Google Calendar, and Weather Timeline. I have multiple Google accounts connected to the phone, but only one with synced items (and only what's absolutely necessary. Naturally, I've cleared app cache and system cache and rebooted, and I do not have Facebook or Messenger installed.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried actually uninstalling the Google app? I believe it won't completely take it off, just uninstall all updates that aren't in the factory image, but that make be a good place to check. Uninstall from the app store and make sure it's not set to update automatically. Reboot, then see if your wake lock issues persist. If they don't, you have your answer. If they do, it could be another 3rd party app that you have installed that is causing issues.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
It is likely a third party app, at least from my experience. The first three I'd check (by temporarily uninstalling) are Facebook, GasBuddy, and Weather Bug -- if any of those are installed. From what I can tell, Android gets confused because most apps (like they are supposed to) use Android libraries to check for updates or update information. Since they are using the standard Android libraries for this behavior, Android thinks it is an Android/Google app checking and not counting the usage against the app actually making the call.

Arcendus

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Could this be due to a particular WiFi network? When I was home last night I uninstalled Light Manager, thinking maybe that was it, and I saw wakelock behaving as it should (connected to home WiFi). Now that I'm back at work, wakelock is back to being outrageous, keeping my device awake constantly (on a 2.4GHz network). I disabled WiFi a few minutes ago, and I'm back to normal wakelocks. So I'm getting the impression it's the workplace WiFi that's doing something to keep my device awake. If this is possible, is there any way around it? Would rooting the device and doing anything in particular, theoretically, allow me to connect to the WiFi here and avoid the wakelocks?