Why do I hear no sound when I call "ok Google?"

Tech_660

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I can indeed confirm that enabling Switch Access did the trick. I'm running Android 6.0.1 on a Galaxy 6 Edge Plus. Thank you! This has been driving me crazy all week!

Thanks everyone here for communicating with each and everyone that is having this issue. Been trying to resolve this since this morning. Maybe some ideas worked for some of you. But what Spevman had, I tried. Now all is in order! Thanks Spevman!!! Now I can watch my Movie I has going earlier today!

MILES_LONG

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Well that fixed it!
Now the question is, How and why did google mess it up and how is it, in 3 updates to the google app in the last week, they were they unable to fix it. Assuming they were even trying to.
I've had talkback and other similar unwanted / unneeded google apps disabled forever and none of them ever effected this issue or others.

It's time to hold google responsible for their constant mess ups, half baked ideas and other stupidity.
Sure, android and most of google is "Free". But they are making Mountains of Money off us beta tester / Guinea pigs. So "Free" is a relative term at best.
Having suffered through every "yearly" version of android since the droid eris and just as many devices, I've had enough of their games. Every App, Every OS, Every Device one major issue after the next. They need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just maintain and tweek what works. Any Drastic "Improvements / Upgrades" should be tested for months and then give the user the simple option to revert back to what worked or was better. Kind of like what they tried with the nugat developer betas, then didnt implement by releasing 7.0 with its Bluetooth and other battery draining issues .
Example; - Large White text on Dark Backgrounds vs the Horrendous often impossible to read Tiny Light gray / light Pastel colored text on Bright white backgrounds that has infected all things android since the self heralded, battery draining "Material" design took over. Personally, I cant wait for the New White font on white backgrounds that's sure to come one day!

Why do they have NO customer support? why do we have to search the dark corners of the internet to fix these rampant issues that appear almost daily?
It's 2016 and they still run the company like its some garage based start-up
Sure, they have their so called "Support forms" where, if you are lucky enough to accurately describe your issue you may find a link to them by googling it.
But once there, you will soon discover they are just customer ranting forms. Nobody who actually works at google monitors them. In Nearly every thread there's the almost identical, verbatim post by Jill or Joe Jag off, Who is nothing more than a glorified Hall monitor, dying to work for google and thinks his or her "helpful" posts will help. Maybe it's a requirement to get a job at the only company in the world with virtually No customer service on its largest and most lucrative products. Either way, they are never helpful.
Their posts all go something like; Welcome to the form.... My name is... Send a screen cap.... I will Pass it on to the "Mythical and Elusive" team.... etc. They almost never understand the problem being described and if they ad a follow up post it almost always mentions, rebooting, delete any new app and or do a factory reset. That's their answer for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kartik Gupta

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so look I'm having an issue with ok Google. When I say ok Google, I'm not receiving audio feedback. It just opens the search, but I can't hear the normal notification sound that Google is activated. The phone vibrates, but no sound. Is anyone having this issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

See I also had this issue u don't need to reset your phone Everytime just uninstall Google app updates and Google connectivity services by going to storage it will work as before u can also try to clear data (remember google connectivity services will not show unless u click on setting logo and mark show system) it worked on n5x

Jsills63

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Like a lot of you, this problem happened to me in the past few days. Nexus 5 for me. Searching for an answer I found this thread. Installing the Clean Master app seemed like the best solution, so I gave it a shot, and it DID WORK. But, after doing some investigation, not for the reason a lot of you may think.

When using the app, it asks you to turn on permissions for it in Settings>Accessibility>Services. For some reason, and don't ask me why because I don't know, THIS is what triggers the OK Google sound to work again! Thing is, you don't NEED Clean Master do to this. I found just enabling Switch Access in Accessibility works as well.

So there you go. Just enable Switch Access and you got your sound back. Again though, just don't ask me WHY it works.

Thanks for this...indeed it worked, and the OK Google sound is back. Pure speculation on why it stopped in the first place: I just bought a new car. Paired my phone easily for Bluetooth, etc. But it was just afterwards that the OK Google sound stopped. No idea if it's related to pairing in the new car or if it's just a coincidence. But very glad to have the sound back. Thanks again for posting this fix.

gar leu

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
SOLVED
so the ability to allow 'OK google' to work from ANY APP was turned off. (that is the real mystery, i did not undo that)
after resetting and saying 'OK google' 3 times BettleJuice appeared.Just kidding, the BLEEP worked again

J Flanagan

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
If you don't have the option to turn switch access ON, you can try to install Google Talk back or re-enable it and then go back to accessibility and the switch access option should be there

worked for me, thanks !

mikesmith0902

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
This is excellent. Thank you for digging down to find a solution.

Yes a BIG thank you, I have an Asus ZE551ML and all of a sudden the 'Ok Google' notification sound stopped working and vibrated instead. I've been going through every setting possible in trying to find a solution but with no luck. My phone came with Clean Master pre-installed and I get a message every now and again to turn on access to my notifications. Settings>Accessibility>Clean Master. I've ignored it because I don't believe in giving apps permission to search through my phone, especially with the reputation of Clean Master, although that might be an injustice as I've been using it for a year with no problems and it does seem to work. I've now given it access to my notifications and the vibration has stopped and the 'Ok Google' sound has been restored. Problem solved and a big thanks to this thread because I would never have thought that would have been the answer ☺

KLH1108

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Like a lot of you, this problem happened to me in the past few days. Nexus 5 for me. Searching for an answer I found this thread. Installing the Clean Master app seemed like the best solution, so I gave it a shot, and it DID WORK. But, after doing some investigation, not for the reason a lot of you may think.

When using the app, it asks you to turn on permissions for it in Settings>Accessibility>Services. For some reason, and don't ask me why because I don't know, THIS is what triggers the OK Google sound to work again! Thing is, you don't NEED Clean Master do to this. I found just enabling Switch Access in Accessibility works as well.

So there you go. Just enable Switch Access and you got your sound back. Again though, just don't ask me WHY it works.

It works now. Thank you for this suggestion.

charles randolph1

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem of not getting the response tones when I say Okay Google. It's started when I use the radio that is built into this Blu Studio One Plus using the headphones. Now I only get the tone if I have the headphones on and when I unplug the headphones everything works but I don't hear the tones to let me know that okay Google is listening

Philcraft

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Here is an official statement from the Google Forum and - hold on tight - cancelling the notification sound is allegedly "an intended experimental feature that we are testing to improve the user experience and latency on voice search."

Ok Google? Are you kidding me? Are you out of your mind? For what purpose are the beta testers? That makes absolutely no sense.

https://productforums.google.com/fo...ooter#!msg/websearch/Pd9MN2XUDzY/KtpAdjraAQAJ

Last edited:

Pratik Das

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Well i commented to this post a few days ago as i was facing the same issueand was seeking for a solution.
Well ii didnt find any though.
Like after almost 2 weeks to my surprise the OK GOOGLE response beep started working again out of the blues.
Hope this stays this time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's working again. I disabled TalkBack (which automatically turns off the "Switch Access" option in the Accessibility settings), and I'm still getting the OK Google tones. So check your devices again!

INicoDX

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
i have android 4.4 and i cant found "switch access"... i getting too nervous about this little sound. Installing clean master dont do anything too in my case.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
i have android 4.4 and i cant found "switch access"... i getting too nervous about this little sound. Installing clean master dont do anything too in my case.

Welcome to Android Central! The tone should be back already, because I believe Google fixed this little bug. Is it still missing on yours? I would recommend against Clean Master--it tends to cause more problems than it claims to solve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik