Phone will not keep a signal after 7.0 Update (LTE, HSPA, or 3G) HELP!!

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm at my wits end. I did the Nougat update from the Beta last week. On Sunday, I woke up to a "No Service" message. Rebooted the phone and I got service again. Since then I've had service cut out on my every few minutes or so. I can actually watch it happen. I've see a few links where people report having a similar issue, ( Here ) but mine is not just on Nougat now. I wiped and downgraded to MM and am still having the issue. Here is what I've done in the best order I remember if someone can help.

Rebooted the phone.
Removed and reinserted SIM
Deleted newly installed apps
Wiped the cache
Booted into Safe Mode
Checked the APN
Forced a connection directly to T-Mobile
Reset the Network Settings
Flashed the newest 7.0 OTA
Wiped the phone
Unlocked bootloader and downgraded to MM
Used the OTA to upgrade to Nougat again
Wiped and downgraded to MM again
Contacted Huawei for an RMA (a whole other post in and of itself)

This is where I am so far. I have the new 7.0 OTA sitting pretty wanting to be installed, but since this is the most likely suspect to start the issue, I'm not installing it yet.

I've only seen a few reporting this issue. It's enough to know I'm not crazy, but that doesn't fix the issue.

What could have happened to the radio that makes it not work, and what's the issue with it not working on the old software that I know works?

Am I just looking at a phone that was ruined with a software update? Is the crappy RMA service my only hope?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT FOR UPDATE

So I shipped it off to Huawei (or an authorized service center since it was just about 20 miles away) and they looked at it and then on Tuesday decided to ship me a replacement. Got it last night and began testing.

It was shipped back in the same box I shipped my old one. It is most likely a refurb, but looks new. It was shipped with the latest version of Nougat.

OMG, my phone must have been defective the whole time I had it and the update just broke it completely.

I now can pull 9Mbps in my apartment when I was only able to get 3. I'm pulling at least double what I used to get. I think I just had a bad radio and because I could get 70Mbps in certain areas, I didn't know it. I'm truly happy with my phone but still not happy with the RMA process. Try using an old iPhone 4 (Verizon unlocked) for a week and see what I mean. I almost went blind looking at that little screen.

Anyway, hopefully no one else has this issue. If you do, know that it can just be a bad radio and not the radio files that hose your phone.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm at my wits end. I did the Nougat update from the Beta last week. On Sunday, I woke up to a "No Service" message. Rebooted the phone and I got service again. Since then I've had service cut out on my every few minutes or so. I can actually watch it happen. I've see a few links where people report having a similar issue, ( Here ) but mine is not just on Nougat now. I wiped and downgraded to MM and am still having the issue. Here is what I've done in the best order I remember if someone can help.

Rebooted the phone.
Removed and reinserted SIM
Deleted newly installed apps
Wiped the cache
Booted into Safe Mode
Checked the APN
Forced a connection directly to T-Mobile
Reset the Network Settings
Flashed the newest 7.0 OTA
Wiped the phone
Unlocked bootloader and downgraded to MM
Used the OTA to upgrade to Nougat again
Wiped and downgraded to MM again
Contacted Huawei for an RMA (a whole other post in and of itself)

This is where I am so far. I have the new 7.0 OTA sitting pretty wanting to be installed, but since this is the most likely suspect to start the issue, I'm not installing it yet.

I've only seen a few reporting this issue. It's enough to know I'm not crazy, but that doesn't fix the issue.

What could have happened to the radio that makes it not work, and what's the issue with it not working on the old software that I know works?

Am I just looking at a phone that was ruined with a software update? Is the crappy RMA service my only hope?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
It seems like you tried almost everything. Have you restored the device using the factory image, rather than the OTA update file? I would suggest doing that and see if it helps.

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. That was the second update to N. The first was the OTA. After that I did a full downgrade to MM.

I don't want to go through this RMA process, because I'm sure they'e going to "repair" the phone and ship it back with the issue intact. Damn me for going after the Amazon sale rather than buying directly through Google. At least they do a rapid exchange process.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I just went through radio connection h*ll but my problem was a little weirder than yours.

Is it only happening in/around your home? Or everywhere you go? It happened to me only in my home so I knew it couldn't be the radios. I reported it to AT&T and after a week, my phone started making calls again (AT&T didn't report anything to me so I guess it was magic).

If it's everywhere, yeah, it's probably your phone. I agree with MDMcAfee to go get a new SIM... go get a brand new SIM and have it activated in the store. That's all I can think of.

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Switched out the SIM, I know it's the phone now, but only from anecdotal evidence. Even when it does grab a signal, the speed I get is a 10th of what my fiancee's phone on the same account does.

I'm shipping it to Huawei today. Since it looks like they have me sending it to an authorized repair person and not to them, only luck will make them say that the phone is defective and not just send it back.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Wow, hoping mine doesn't get that bad. When i left the house yesterday, even though i was showing full LTE service, i couldn't send a text or pull up any website. I checked all of my cellular and data settings, everything seemed fine.

After about 10 minutes, i rebooted the phone and everything worked as normal.

I am really hoping it was a strange fluke, but now I'm a bit concerned...

Shel221

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I updated to 7.0 on my htc one m9 and a couple days later i have had no signal. It just says limited service and i cannot male calls, texts or use data. I nor use my sim in my old phone it still works. Does anyone know of what i can do? I do not want to do a factory reset and the phone is not in warranty.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know of what i can do?
You could start by posting this in the HTC M9 forum - you're more likely to get an answer there that pertains to your handset.

The OP provided a good list of things to try; you should be prepared to perform a Factory Reset as a necessary option.