What makes the OP3/3T so fast?

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If Samsung would read this article...
Lol.... That's funny... I had one Samsung phone and their customer service was slightly better than the service one would receive from pissing off a drug cartel. Let's just say the only Samsung phone I will be buying in the future is the one I can immediately bootloader unlock and root after I take it out of the box. I would flash Lineage OS on it and never regret not experiencing the crap android flavor that is touchwiz/grace ui...

I'd rather have Crapple iPhone and their castrated OS that makes my phone look and sound just like every other iPhone sold than have a bootloader locked Samsung. Oh, and I prefer non-exploding cell phones. Cell phones exploding into flames is not what I consider to be a premium feature.

Just in case you can't tell, Samsung is on my list of trying to like and give them another chance but they keep making me run far far away from their phones... All of the above is just my opinion.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
After reading that article, I gained a greater appreciation for both the OP3 and OnePlus for the work they did designing and manufacturing the phone and implementing OOS.

I also gained a greater itch to factory reset my phone and move to f2fs! I suspect it's only a matter of when, not if I'll convert. I honestly don't expect to experience any functional difference in my day to day operations, but psychologically, I'll be content knowing I've done all I know to do with my limited knowledge to enhance performance. :)

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
vintagetechtm, I hope you're not on Verizon! Aren't they famous for locked bootloaders and proprietary phones (other than Apple)?

I now wish I hadn't upgraded my old GS4/i337 to whatever level made it impossible to unlock the boot loader. I want to play some and learn about bootloaders, custom recoveries, etc. I remember reading the warnings at the time, but had no idea it would come back to haunt me. Oh well.

I respect Samsung's hardware. But other than the Note7, I had little interest in their products since the emergence of the S6. I briefly considered buying an unlocked Note 7, but the battery issue killed that option early on. I had the mistaken belief that buying an unlocked version (carrier unlocked) would eliminate one of the hindrances to the update process, and also eliminate some of the bloat. Turns out that the unlocked versions were reportedly getting later updates than the carrier versions, go figure.

Thankfully, I had the good fortune to stumble across the OP3 in my research and came back to take a second look after Nexus became the Pixel. Else I would not likely have given OP more than a casual look, thinking they were just another Chinese manufacturer. I had no idea what a gem OP produced.

I look forward to their next phone and hope they keep the support alive and well for their previous phones. It certainly looks that way for the 3/3T right now.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
vintagetechtm, I hope you're not on Verizon! Aren't they famous for locked bootloaders and proprietary phones (other than Apple)?

I now wish I hadn't upgraded my old GS4/i337 to whatever level made it impossible to unlock the boot loader. I want to play some and learn about bootloaders, custom recoveries, etc. I remember reading the warnings at the time, but had no idea it would come back to haunt me. Oh well.

I respect Samsung's hardware. But other than the Note7, I had little interest in their products since the emergence of the S6. I briefly considered buying an unlocked Note 7, but the battery issue killed that option early on. I had the mistaken belief that buying an unlocked version (carrier unlocked) would eliminate one of the hindrances to the update process, and also eliminate some of the bloat. Turns out that the unlocked versions were reportedly getting later updates than the carrier versions, go figure.

Thankfully, I had the good fortune to stumble across the OP3 in my research and came back to take a second look after Nexus became the Pixel. Else I would not likely have given OP more than a casual look, thinking they were just another Chinese manufacturer. I had no idea what a gem OP produced.

I look forward to their next phone and hope they keep the support alive and well for their previous phones. It certainly looks that way for the 3/3T right now.

I'm with you on a lot of this. I normally don't care about what Samsung is doing at all... their specs and camera are usually top notch, but so much of the experience is broken and their design on both hardware and software is pretty far from what I enjoy. I was VERY surprised to learn that the unlocked Samsung phones lag behind the carrier versions on monthly updates, and unless an OEM can commit to guaranteed Monthly updates being pushed within a reasonable time-frame without fail... I'm not interested at all.

The OP3 was night and day better than the OP2, which I had a lot of hope for and was met with nothing but disappointment across the board. The OP3T seems to finish the thought they'd started and they've got a VERY good phone that commands the attention of anyone looking to maximize value in a device without sliding into the budget phones. OP still has some major problems, but they've also been very receptive to feedback this year and hopefully that translates into the OP4 being a truly next level offering.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I am on AT&T. Verizon data does not work on the OnePlus 3/3T. You can pop a Verizon sim in the OnePlus 3/3t that is active on a different phone and use the 2G voice and basic text.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Same as me then, on ATT.

According to this site, the 3/3T may have some functionality on VZW:
WillMyPhoneWork.net - Check if your phone works on a network

But I can't imagine it would be ideal.
I have tried... The 3G sometimes worked but not always. I had the Verizon sim in the sim 2 tray when getting 3G Verizon data. Most of the time my phone said I was getting 3G but I had no Internet connection more often than not. It took me a few phone calls to AT&T before I got 4G on their network. I'm not going to start messing with my AT&T sim in sim slot 1...

Verizon was not my main cellphone service so it went on sim slot 2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty