Why can't I be added to a group chat on an iPhone?

MrEminent42

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Added to a group chat on an iPhone

So a lot of my friends have an iPhone, and they have **an existing** group chat for us. Only problem is, they can't add me to the group chat, because "This number is not registered with iMessage." When they try to add me, my contact shows up in red and they can't add me.

However, when they **create** a group chat, they can add me, and everything works fine.

I'm using the Hangouts app on my OnePlus One, running Android 5.1.1. Group Chats, and NMS is enabled.

Any possible reason/fix for this? Is this on my side or the iPhones'?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Added to a group chat on an iPhone

It their existing group chat is comprised purely of iPhones, then they're not using 'normal' text messaging, they're using iMessage (just like using Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc.). Since the group is already created, when they try to add your number, a non iMessage user, it shows up as red.

If they create a new one, when they add your number it tells the group to use MMS instead of iMessage because there's a non-iMessage user in the group.

MrEminent42

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

It their existing group chat is comprised purely of iPhones, then they're not using 'normal' text messaging, they're using iMessage (just like using Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc.). Since the group is already created, when they try to add your number, a non iMessage user, it shows up as red.

If they create a new one, when they add your number it tells the group to use MMS instead of iMessage because there's a non-iMessage user in the group.

Thanks! Probably not the best place to ask, but do you know if there is any way for them to switch over to MMS group messaging so that non-iPhones can join?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure there is, but most likely they'd have to start another group with the same members but the non-iPhone user added.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty