Need Help - Recovery/Rom/SD Card Issue

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello.

I didn't know about the new screen driver issue until I began rooting my 2nd Optimus yesterday. The rooting went fine, but I ran into problems with the recovery. Once I found the thread about the drivers for the display I made a couple mistakes.

1) I flashed xionia_kernel_clockwork-3024
2) Then flashed the old Xionia kernel (because I assumed that I could then flash the Reborn Rom

Problem is...I forgot to back up the stock Rom and kernel and now my phone doesn't recognize the SD card. I IM'd my friend who is a lot more experienced and he went through ADB and ran some code that allowed access to the SD (not just simple mounting...cuz that doesn't work). I tried flashing a couple different Roms and received an ?edify Gingerbread? error, so now I?m stuck with stock with button mapping that is messed up and an SD card that is not recognized.

So is there anyone out there that can help me get my phone back on track?I?m not sure where to start. I would like to run the Reborn Rom again or Bumblebee but it seems there is not a recovery that will allow to flash those. I appreciate any help that someone can give?even if it is to get the kernel for the stock Rom with new screen. Cause not having a SD card is horrible.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you can still get to the card through adb and recovery sees it, you can try the flashable zip for the iho recovery.
it's in the first post of that blackscreen thread, but I'll repost it here for you.
it's got a different kernel.
the newer iho-based builds have a compatible kernel for the newer phone, try them out.

somewhere in this forum is a stock rom thread by asadullah, I added a version with the newer stock kernel at the end of it.

I'll try to update the patched recoveries with new stock recovery kernel; yours is the first mention of the sd issue with them, so I wasn't fully aware.

Reactions: jeffreynothing43

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
if you can still get to the card through adb and recovery sees it, you can try the flashable zip for the iho recovery.
it's in the first post of that blackscreen thread, but I'll repost it here for you.
it's got a different kernel.
the newer iho-based builds have a compatible kernel for the newer phone, try them out.

somewhere in this forum is a stock rom thread by asadullah, I added a version with the newer stock kernel at the end of it.

I'll try to update the patched recoveries with new stock recovery kernel; yours is the first mention of the sd issue with them, so I wasn't fully aware.

Thank you so much for the reply...

Let me ask you this... I read that Bumblebee Rom has the edify scripting that will allow it to be flashed using the new recoveries. Is this true? If so...from what I read, I will need to flash that Rom, flash the Xiona kernel and then the button mapping zip. Is this correct?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
the newer harmonia releases also use edify scripting for the newer recoveries.
leslieann is also working on a new release which doesn't need the xionia kernel. people have reported the sdcard mount issue and usb connection issues with that kernel (tho I never had those problems, the phones seem to vary in touchiness.)
yes, flash rom, flash kernel, flash button remapper, reboot.
before flashing the rom, format cache, dalvik-cache, data, and system in recovery to prevent install issues.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
the newer harmonia releases also use edify scripting for the newer recoveries.
leslieann is also working on a new release which doesn't need the xionia kernel. people have reported the sdcard mount issue and usb connection issues with that kernel (tho I never had those problems, the phones seem to vary in touchiness.)
yes, flash rom, flash kernel, flash button remapper, reboot.
before flashing the rom, format cache, dalvik-cache, data, and system in recovery to prevent install issues.

Hopefully my friend will be able to help me with it tonight...I have NO idea how he got access to the SD. It wouldn't mount in recovery and said there was no SD when the phone was on. If I can get to SD, I'll be all good. You wouldn't happen to know the commands in adb would you?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
try
Code:
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard
if that fails with an error, post the error, and also the output from
Code:
ls /dev/block
and
Code:
df -h
and I'll see what I can figure out.

edit:
I realized all the hacked recoveries in the blackscreen thread are xionia kernel.
So, I made a new one since you're having issues.
new: IHO recovery with kernel from new OV stock recovery

since you're having problems with zefie's old xionia kernel, I suggest using Drew's xionia redux kernel instead with roms.

Last edited:

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
try
Code:
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard
if that fails with an error, post the error, and also the output from
Code:
ls /dev/block
and
Code:
df -h
and I'll see what I can figure out.

edit:
I realized all the hacked recoveries in the blackscreen thread are xionia kernel.
So, I made a new one since you're having issues.
new: IHO recovery with kernel from new OV stock recovery

since you're having problems with zefie's old xionia kernel, I suggest using Drew's xionia redux kernel instead with roms.

Will this kernel work with Bumblebee?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
probably; I haven't tested Drew's on anything but cm7 roms myself, but I ran zefie's original xionia with everything under the sun and didn't have any issues.
you can certainly try it. if it doesn't work, you should still at least be able to boot into recovery.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Zefies Xionia 013 kernel will work with Bumblebee or Harmonia and both use Edify scripting. The kernel install however does not. I don't think there is any Froyo roms using Edify that use a new enough kernel (I think).

I'm not convinced the Cm7 kernel will work or is a good option either. CM isn't a standard system, it's not all compatible with non-CM stuff. You can;t always use a non-gb kernel on CM, just as you can;t always use a cm kernel on a non-CM rom. Worse, you are considering a CM GB kernl, on a non CM, Froyo. It may work, but I wouldn't advise it.

My advice is DO NOT change your recovery right now. These phones work on a split system, recover and rom. Trash one, you can use the other to fix it, trash both and you are in trouble. Right now your recovery works, don't mess with it. I will have something workable tonight for you, one way or another that will get Harmonia to work on your phone otherwise, try one of the new IHO roms.

Reactions: jeffreynothing43

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Right now the issues is that I can't get SD card to work after installing a ROM...I've managed to access my SD through ADB mount -a. But it won't work when the phone is on. What are some of the IHO Roms that you are mentioning? Also, I was able to get Harmonia working using the Xionia kernel, but I have came across a few lock ups. Is there a better kernel that will work with the new screens?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
it might need to be reformatted. I've also read that is an issue for some people using the old xionia kernel.
you can try BobZhome's IHO kernel, it's in all the recent releases of IHO variants I think. If IHO works for you, it'd be the easiest way to go since you wouldn't need an anykernel or keyswap to use it.
I'm pretty sure the cwm recovery you're using will flash iho.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
it might need to be reformatted. I've also read that is an issue for some people using the old xionia kernel.
you can try BobZhome's IHO kernel, it's in all the recent releases of IHO variants I think. If IHO works for you, it'd be the easiest way to go since you wouldn't need an anykernel or keyswap to use it.
I'm pretty sure the cwm recovery you're using will flash iho.

Do you have a link to that specific kernel?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a link to that specific kernel?

the easiest way to get it is to install IHO. Otherwise you have to extract it from the boot.img or build it from source; and then either make it an anykernel.zip or manually patch it into the boot.img of whatever rom you want to use with it.
I don't know if it's just available as a download.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
the easiest way to get it is to install IHO. Otherwise you have to extract it from the boot.img or build it from source; and then either make it an anykernel.zip or manually patch it into the boot.img of whatever rom you want to use with it.
I don't know if it's just available as a download.

Sorry, bear with me here...I'm new to the Optimus V. Is IHO just the CM7 Rom or is it referencing multiple Roms?

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your help. I was wondering...do you recommend a Rom for the new screen Optimus V's? I have Harmonia running but had to use that Xionia kernel to get the screen working and it seems to be pretty buggy and slow. Not saying its the Rom...my guess is kernel. So I was wondering what everyone else thinks as I am still new to the Optimus V.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I personally like the IHO variants better than the froyo roms.
It helps that the devs have patched the kernel driver issues so the IHO roms are just plug-n-play regardless of new or old screen OV.
I'm pretty sure leslieann will be releasing a version of harmonia with a kernel for the newer screens soon, if you like efficiency or just like froyo check on her thread until she sets that up.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I personally like the IHO variants better than the froyo roms.
It helps that the devs have patched the kernel driver issues so the IHO roms are just plug-n-play regardless of new or old screen OV.
I'm pretty sure leslieann will be releasing a version of harmonia with a kernel for the newer screens soon, if you like efficiency or just like froyo check on her thread until she sets that up.

Awesome. You all have been a big help - Thank you. The new screen driver issue reminds me of my Optimus S days. Seemed like LG was pushing out new tweeks all the time, screwing up everyone's phones and making devs scramble to figure out a way to update etc without bricking or running into countless other variations of errors.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Harmonia was heavily optimized for the older OV's.
The person who helped me build it (the one who built the kernel) is no longer around, either.

I'm still waiting on a test result from someone before I release a newer OV variation as i can't tell from Zefies notes if the kernel I want to use will work. While I think it will, I don't want to risk it, also, even if it works, whiele it will work well, it won't quite be what Harmonia is on the older V's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress