Possible to port Optimus Slider 2.3 to V?

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Is any chance that the Slider can be ported to the V? The only thing I noticed about it was the Button swap, and the keyboard slide. Is it possible?

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Why? We already have IHO, and cyanogenmod is better then any stock GB I've tried.

Sent from my CM7'd NookColor using Tapatalk

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Quite possibly once a system.img and boot.img are released. I believe the processor is different but that won't stop someone from trying

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, btw, I hadn't even realized the slider had been released :)

Sent from my CM7'd NookColor usingnTapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If we can get GB from the OS or an OV in the future, I can't imagine that it wouldn't help the IHO team.

The only way it will help is if they release source code beyond the kernel. They are only required by the GPL to release the kernel source, and it's not very likely they will release anything else.

You need 3 things to run a smart phone with Android:
1- A kernel
2- Firmware (what we call a ROM)
3- Libraries

The libraries are the biggest issue. We cannot decompile proprietary libs, so all we can do is copy them over and make them work as best we can, and pray LG doesn't send us a cease and desist for using their intellectual property. ;)

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The only way it will help is if they release source code beyond the kernel. They are only required by the GPL to release the kernel source, and it's not very likely they will release anything else.

You need 3 things to run a smart phone with Android:
1- A kernel
2- Firmware (what we call a ROM)
3- Libraries

The libraries are the biggest issue. We cannot decompile proprietary libs, so all we can do is copy them over and make them work as best we can, and pray LG doesn't send us a cease and desist for using their intellectual property. ;)

True, I didn't even think about that. Lol my mistake.

Growjunky

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
i know this might not be the place to ask this but im getting a new phone and i need advice. its either an optimus slider or its going to be the motorola triumph and my question is which one should i buy. thanks to all who reply with an opinion.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
i know this might not be the place to ask this but im getting a new phone and i need advice. its either an optimus slider or its going to be the motorola triumph and my question is which one should i buy. thanks to all who reply with an opinion.

Completely the wrong place to ask this buuut I would say optimus slider just cuz I've heard nothing but bad things about the triumph and lg has been good this year.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't want Cyanogen. I luv it, but I want stock.... :/

you wouldnt ever know it was cyanogen unless you turn on the cyanogen stuff. its totally stock gingerbread all the way from the get go.

of course you dont believe me.

install it, try it, you wont want anything else

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
you wouldnt ever know it was cyanogen unless you turn on the cyanogen stuff. its totally stock gingerbread all the way from the get go.

of course you dont believe me.

install it, try it, you wont want anything else
Not quite.
There is good reasons why the devs are wanting an OV or Slider 2.3 rom yanked out to mess with. If there wasn't a difference, several of us wouldn't have bothered trying to port the Optimus S gingerbread.

While you can't see it, there is a TON of underlying stuff that is not the same. You can't switch files between stock and CM due to hooks and things that are different. Also, stock has factory drivers written to work with the os, CM doesn't have access to those drivers as they are proprietary.

It's like saying Linspire, Red Hat, Ubuntu and Slack are all the same.
Yes, they are all linux and you can make them look and work the same, but looking deeper and there are significant differences that cause issues if you treat them all the same. This is why many programs for Linux come only as source or are available as source is because what works on one, will not always work on the other.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Not quite.
There is good reasons why the devs are wanting an OV or Slider 2.3 rom yanked out to mess with. If there wasn't a difference, several of us wouldn't have bothered trying to port the Optimus S gingerbread.

While you can't see it, there is a TON of underlying stuff that is not the same. You can't switch files between stock and CM due to hooks and things that are different. Also, stock has factory drivers written to work with the os, CM doesn't have access to those drivers as they are proprietary.

It's like saying Linspire, Red Hat, Ubuntu and Slack are all the same.
Yes, they are all linux and you can make them look and work the same, but looking deeper and there are significant differences that cause issues if you treat them all the same. This is why many programs for Linux come only as source or are available as source is because what works on one, will not always work on the other.

of course, i get that. I just figured for someone who wasnt developing or digging through code, they wont know the difference when it comes to USING the OS, be it a manufacterer-made gingerbread rom or IHO. they are both gingerbread and both look the same, so long as the manufacturer didnt theme it, like so many do

a manufacturer released rom might be "stable" but I.H.O., for our phones, runs faster and smoother and performs better and is less cluttered. and has been out long enough to be pretty solid in daily use. might not have been able to say that 2 months ago, but you can now.

if your going to upgrade to gingerbread in some form, why want a stock rom that performs less? and does less?

Nit3H8wk

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
There is bugs with IHO. First of all you can't shut the phone off to charge the battery if it's plugged in it will just reboot when you shut it off. There is lag issues even overclocked. The in call volume is too low at max volume. Sometimes the market force closes. IHO is far from stock and im not trying to put it down or anything it's a great rom but i prefer something stable where everything works without lag. I use harmonia with cpu set to 600MHZ min and 768MHZ max. Also IHO and every other cm7 variation i think uses a 3rd party launcher such as adwlauncher. I want a pure stock launcher not just one that looks like a stock launcher.