[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

Have you run fix_permissions in terminal?

I did on your April 1st ROM and it didn't help. I will try again on your latest ROM.

( dont run fix permissions from the recovery it will screw everything up. Terminal only. )

kraven

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

About two minutes, and no - run it from a terminal emulator.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

alas i ran it from recovery, look alot longer that 2 minutes and buggered everything up.

Ive restored back to the previous IHO from a backup all seems well at the moment

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I have flashed the v9 radio in one of the two OVs I have. Both of them are configured exactly the same but the only difference is v9 radio now. Turned the WiFi off on both of them and did the following test.

- Monitored the singal strength in dBm over several minutes: No difference
- Ran Speedtest over 3G multiple times on both using the same server: No difference
- Called the home phone with both: No difference in voice quality

I will not even bother flashing the v9 radio on the other one.

At first I stated that there was no apparent effect after flashing the new radio. Now, I'm kinda thinking it's made my 3g even slower and less stable. This is based solely on a few Speedtest.net tests and how often I'm getting dropped while USB tethered with PDANET. I take it it's not possible to extract the radio firmware from a stock OV ROM?

Pulled this off Page 9. I don't think I will be flashing this update, not at all. Not until I know it saves the battery, at least. Signal strength isn't an issue where I live.

LG Optimus V Harmonia 1.7

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Pulled this off Page 9. I don't think I will be flashing this update, not at all. Not until I know it saves the battery, at least. Signal strength isn't an issue where I live.

LG Optimus V Harmonia 1.7

You want to see something very cool. Run a speed test sitting at your computer.
Now walk outside and run one. Go sit in your car or a buddies car and run a speed test.

When dealing with wireless internet either home wifi or over cellular network placement of the device can affect your reception and how fast you connect.

The only way you can get a true test of performance of the data signal is to put the phone in the EXACT same spot during the tests. Moving it even a centimeter during tests can change the actual signal reception.

Reactions: thewraith420

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You want to see something very cool. Run a speed test sitting at your computer.
Now walk outside and run one. Go sit in your car or a buddies car and run a speed test.

When dealing with wireless internet either home wifi or over cellular network placement of the device can affect your reception and how fast you connect.

The only way you can get a true test of performance of the data signal is to put the phone in the EXACT same spot during the tests. Moving it even a centimeter during tests can change the actual signal reception.

All this logic you're using is flying in the face of wild speculation. I'll go ahead and throw my theory in the ring:
6164ccd9-46b3-fb6a.jpg

This space intentionally left blank.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I can attest to that. Before the radio update, placing my phone even a centimeter or two off, or rotation off by 5-15 degrees would make the difference between no texting and full texting at work.

Reactions: glarepate

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

fix_permissions didnt work either. Still getting reboots, mainly right after sending texts.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I'm not a mod, not a dev, nor am I a trusted source for information around here, but I feel like it needs to be flat-out said:

If you want this radio update, you should expect to run the stock ROM that comes along with it until if / when these issues can be resolved. Too many people are experiencing the same problems.

I have been seeing the lag again after flashing a new kernel over the stock ROM. No reboots, however. (not yet, anyway.)

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a mod, not a dev, nor am I a trusted source for information around here, but I feel like it needs to be flat-out said:

If you want this radio update, you should expect to run the stock ROM that comes along with it until if / when these issues can be resolved. Too many people are experiencing the same problems.

I have been seeing the lag again after flashing a new kernel over the stock ROM. No reboots, however. (not yet, anyway.)

Good to know. Maybe when we get the kernel source for the upgrade we can figure out what's going on and how to fix it.

Reactions: Dannemand

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I can attest to that. Before the radio update, placing my phone even a centimeter or two off, or rotation off by 5-15 degrees would make the difference between no texting and full texting at work.

Is my sarcasm meter totally off, or did you just seriously say that moving your phone a centimeter disabled your texting?

I also don't claim that I fully understand all the science and technology behind it, but isn't a speed test more to illustrate the speed of your connection to a wireless network? And then a dB meter test can tell you how powerful your radio signal is, and an IR test picks up the signal strength of a cell tower?

Somebody help a damn noob out :/

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Is my sarcasm meter totally off, or did you just seriously say that moving your phone a centimeter disabled your texting?

I also don't claim that I fully understand all the science and technology behind it, but isn't a speed test more to illustrate the speed of your connection to a wireless network? And then a dB meter test can tell you how powerful your radio signal is, and an IR test picks up the signal strength of a cell tower?

Somebody help a damn noob out :/

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

all that testing mish mash...just hang a clothes hanger off the end of the headphone jack with some foil on the end...works every time:what:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Is my sarcasm meter totally off, or did you just seriously say that moving your phone a centimeter disabled your texting?2

Yes, I was 100% serious. Why would I make that up? My reception was so bad inside where I work that so little of a difference in placement was the difference between signal / no signal.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. The position of the antenna inside the phone can make a huge difference when you have a weak signal. Remember the iCrap fiasco when people would lose calls because of the way they held the phone was interfering with the antenna?

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

ok guys no more need to double flash the update.zip i've extracted the zv9 recovery and tested it on my phone. so the new method should be

1. Nandroid backup from current custom recovery
2. place the VM update.zip on the root of your sd card
3. flash stock zv9 recovery useing your prefered method (terminal, flash_image_gui, or backside updater)
4. boot to recovery
5. wipe data / factory reset
6. apply sdcard:update.zip
7. reboot system now

congratulations your now on stock zv9 unrooted with the new zv9 radio.

Follow the instructions Here
to re-root and install custom recovery and finally restore your nandroid.

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

ok guys no more need to double flash the update.zip i've extracted the zv9 recovery and tested it on my phone. so the new method should be

1. Nandroid backup from current custom recovery
2. place the VM update.zip on the root of your sd card
3. flash stock zv9 recovery useing your prefered method (terminal, flash_image_gui, or backside updater)
4. boot to recovery
5. wipe data / factory reset
6. apply sdcard:update.zip
7. reboot system now

congratulations your now on stock zv9 unrooted with the new zv9 radio.

Follow the instructions Here
to re-root and install custom recovery and finally restore your nandroid.
For step 2- The VM update.zip you are referring to- is that the one listed on the first post "Optimus_V_VM9_Radio_Update.zip" @ 6.53mb. Or is this another zip and where can I find it.

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

For step 2- The VM update.zip you are referring to- is that the one listed on the first post "Optimus_V_VM9_Radio_Update.zip" @ 6.53mb. Or is this another zip and where can I find it.

No, the update he is referring to is here:

LG Optimus V Android Phone | Virgin Mobile

Once on that page go over to the right side and down to the link labeled "Software Update (VM670ZV9)" to download it. It's 94.5 MB. It is the whole ROM. The 6MB zip file is just the radio part of it.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I also don't claim that I fully understand all the science and technology behind it
droidmyme instead of passive-aggressively insulting people and doubting anybody that doesn't have a dev tag sit back and soak this stuff in.

All this logic you're using is flying in the face of wild speculation. I'll go ahead and throw my theory in the ring.
flapjack its not wild speculation. If you doubt me Im ok with that.

Absolutely. The position of the antenna inside the phone can make a huge difference when you have a weak signal. Remember the iCrap fiasco when people would lose calls because of the way they held the phone was interfering with the antenna?

I think people forget about that because it was apple and not (insert name here) devices.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
droidmyme instead of passive-aggressively insulting people and doubting anybody that doesn't have a dev tag sit back and soak this stuff in.

flapjack its not wild speculation. If you doubt me Im ok with that.

I think people forget about that because it was apple and not (insert name here) devices.

It was a joke. I consider you one of the voices of reason in this thread! :D

This space intentionally left blank.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

You forgot one step, I guess. You also need to time travel and return to the same time with the previous test. Who knows, there can be a solar flare in between the two tests.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I am pretty sure now, this update is cursed too. It seems you are already possessed by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.