Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree608Likes

Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2][OS2SD/internal]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Jefferson View Post
    nope didnt work.
    actually made it pop up more
    You may have to start fresh and reflash rom if you don't have a Nandroid. You have an app somewhere causing the media error. I also removed any adblocking programs like adaway. Sorry couldn't help. Maybe superbigsquid has a trick up his sleeve to help.

nope didnt work.
    actually made it pop up more and the reboot took longer time than it usually does
    Do you have any speed mods installed? Crossbreeder, fly-on mod? There are uninstall zips for both in XDA forums. Fixing permissions does make booting longer first time.

CrossBreeder but I thought it would be beneficial for this Rom

CrossBreeder but I thought it would be beneficial for this Rom
    That's what I thought too. It should have adblocking and entropy tweaks built in. So are your ads being blocked? Also you entropy should be maxed out at 4096 with crossbreeder. You can check it with an entropy checking tool. Try uninstalling it and see if that gets rid of the error. I had to get rid of it and replace it with seeder which just takes care of the entropy. Crossbreeders ad blocking features did not work for me anyways and I kept getting the error messages, plus no one is updating crossbreeder. It probably does improve performance maybe a little too much for this phone can handle IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lpen21 View Post
    That's what I thought too. It should have adblocking and entropy tweaks built in. So are your ads being blocked? Also you entropy should be maxed out at 4096 with crossbreeder. You can check it with an entropy checking tool. Try uninstalling it and see if that gets rid of the error. I had to get rid of it and replace it with seeder which just takes care of the entropy. Crossbreeders ad blocking features did not work for me anyways and I kept getting the error messages, plus no one is updating crossbreeder. It probably does improve performance maybe a little too much for this phone can handle IMHO.
    Sure I dont have a problem with ads

Guess I have to wait until squid gets back
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #456  
    o_O

Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Sure I dont have a problem with ads

Guess I have to wait until squid gets back
    mine borks like that I have to restore or reflash

Hey, I have been a optimus v user since it came out and I rooted not to long after I got the phone. The latest rom I flashed is backside iho which has been amazing but I've had it since 2011? 2012? Many of the apps I'd like don't longer support that version of android (2.3.5) says something like package invalid. I'm a complete noob to everything you guys have talked about in these past 19 pages so if you guys could guide me thru to flashing this rom or at least a 4.0 android with full functionality such as wifi, 3G, wireless tether, speaker, camera etc I'd greatly appreciate it. And links to the files too , I'm not very familiar on how to use this page. Please help a fellow optimus V user ! :/
    TrikkJames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaphacker View Post
    Hey, I have been a optimus v user since it came out and I rooted not to long after I got the phone. The latest rom I flashed is backside iho which has been amazing but I've had it since 2011? 2012? Many of the apps I'd like don't longer support that version of android (2.3.5) says something like package invalid. I'm a complete noob to everything you guys have talked about in these past 19 pages so if you guys could guide me thru to flashing this rom or at least a 4.0 android with full functionality such as wifi, 3G, wireless tether, speaker, camera etc I'd greatly appreciate it. And links to the files too , I'm not very familiar on how to use this page. Please help a fellow optimus V user ! :/
    I'm just like you. Except I've had major experience here in the ROM game.

First off - BackSide is extremely outdated and no longer a recommendation. OV-KitKat here is currently the only KK ROM for OV.

Regarding other ROMs, the most stable GB is MiRaGe, the most stable ICS is PAC-ROM, and the most stable JB is SlimRom - SlimBean.

I'll be glad to guide you step by step in installing those ROMs and figuring out your ultimate best setup. Besides, I need the experience to add to my Android hacking portfolio.

PM me and we'll setup somewhere to talk.
    cheaphacker and gener21839 like this.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I've almost got a complete workaround for Google Now!!! The ONLY difference is that rather than saying, "Ok, Google Now" all I have to do is hold the search key!!! Then I get voice activated full on Google Now searches for weather, navigation, etc.!!! I'm...so...happy...='-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Oh! Forgot to tell how. So the key was an app called "Voice Search Assistant." Just search for it in the play store. It's 99 and we'll worth it. Download "Google Search" first. I'm currently running just version 2.0.0 got of of a site with a dead ICS compatible Now. Going to try this with 3.3.11 and will post back with results.

Here's the one thing I don't like: text boxes with a mic icon. The icon defaults to Google's voice search, and as that doesn't work, I can't ever click those icons. Is it possible to get those to default to Swype's voice search?

Anyone else got this working yet? Need someone to compare notes with. Just spent most my Saturday trying to get 3.3.11 to work again. I had it working at like 9 am but then messed something up and haven't been able to get it working again. Just reverted back to 2.0.0 and have that working again at least, but that was a good Saturday down the drain.
    Btw, I'm a teacher and I had spring break this week. After tomorrow I'm booked like crazy till June. Going to see if I can get my add-on scripts for the internal build flashable so Daffy and others on the internal can give 'em a try ASAP. Wanted to have them fairly well tested first.
    One more quick q... been trying to create scripts to flash using ZipMe, but I can't flash my own scripts. I got an error also when trying to flash a titanium backup update.zip too. Any thoughts?

daffy_duck_nj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan4267 View Post
    Anyone else got this working yet? Need someone to compare notes with. Just spent most my Saturday trying to get 3.3.11 to work again. I had it working at like 9 am but then messed something up and haven't been able to get it working again. Just reverted back to 2.0.0 and have that working again at least, but that was a good Saturday down the drain.
    Btw, I'm a teacher and I had spring break this week. After tomorrow I'm booked like crazy till June. Going to see if I can get my add-on scripts for the internal build flashable so Daffy and others on the internal can give 'em a try ASAP. Wanted to have them fairly well tested first.
    One more quick q... been trying to create scripts to flash using ZipMe, but I can't flash my own scripts. I got an error also when trying to flash a titanium backup update.zip too. Any thoughts?

Toucan4267, can you provide detailed steps as to what you did? It looks like you first got this working with a very old version of google search. My research into this reveals that with subsequent updates google added chrome hotword extension which is required for the voice search to work. With older versions you could still have some functionality with updated (us English) language packs but I think google slammed the door shut with its latest update. I am running 3.2.17 and could not get voice search to work, even with voice assistant. Long pressing the search did not do anything.

I wish I remembered full detail, but I think I was mistaken. I just tried going from my 2.0.0 that works to 3.3.11, but I get an error saying something about a current version with a different signature being already installed. I restored a titanium backup of 3.3.11 and the restore SAYS it completed successfully, but it still shows as 2. This is where I think I was mistaken in getting 3 to work. Going to keep monkeying with it a little longer tho, but you're probably right that newer versions won't work without source code.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsupersquid View Post
    mine borks like that I have to restore or reflash
    Is their a way to prevent that issue in the next update? Because I have no idea how to restore my phones settings w/o doing them all over again

Is their a way to prevent that issue in the next update? Because I have no idea how to restore my phones settings w/o doing them all over again
    Make a Nandroid backup. Once you get everything working the way you want it go into recovery and select "backup". Later on if things go haywire you can go to recovery again and select "restore", this will restore everything , apps, settings, etc. to that point in time when you saved it. For this ROM it is recommended that you have a class 2 or class 4 sd card and at least 8mb is recommended. I have had the same happen ( errors and FC's) with "cheap" sd cards.
    bigsupersquid likes this.

I wish I remembered full detail, but I think I was mistaken. I just tried going from my 2.0.0 that works to 3.3.11, but I get an error saying something about a current version with a different signature being already installed. I restored a titanium backup of 3.3.11 and the restore SAYS it completed successfully, but it still shows as 2. This is where I think I was mistaken in getting 3 to work. Going to keep monkeying with it a little longer tho, but you're probably right that newer versions won't work without source code.

I have version 3.3.10 working, but I had to also update voice search to the latest version. With version 3.3.10 I now get the option of "enabling hotword" which was previously missing on 3.2.16 and 3.2.17. Unfortunately when I enable hotword I get the dreaded "google search has stopped workin" error. I disabled this option in settings and all is well. I think that 3.3.10 is the best most stable version so far but it is a shame the voice commands don't work. Still amazed we can get any of this to work on our phones.
    Toucan4267 likes this.

Make a Nandroid backup. Once you get everything working the way you want it go into recovery and select "backup". Later on if things go haywire you can go to recovery again and select "restore", this will restore everything , apps, settings, etc. to that point in time when you saved it. For this ROM it is recommended that you have a class 2 or class 4 sd card and at least 8GB is recommended. I have had the same happen ( errors and FC's) with "cheap" sd cards.
    I'm reflashing now and my sd card is class 4 and 8GB card

Has anyone created a G+ fix yet for this KitKat ROM?

Has anyone created a G+ fix yet for this KitKat ROM?
    The issue isn't with the ROM, it's with the version of Android being above Gingerbread. I think someone would have to rebuild the official app or create something that lets the Play Store and the app think you're on GB.

Quote Originally Posted by TrikkJames View Post
    The issue isn't with the ROM, it's with the version of Android being above Gingerbread. I think someone would have to rebuild the official app or create something that lets the Play Store and the app think you're on GB.
    Hoping that can be done you know what they say once you go KitKat you don't go back!
    TrikkJames likes this.

I have version 3.3.10 working, but I had to also update voice search to the latest version. With version 3.3.10 I now get the option of "enabling hotword" which was previously missing on 3.2.16 and 3.2.17. Unfortunately when I enable hotword I get the dreaded "google search has stopped workin" error. I disabled this option in settings and all is well. I think that 3.3.10 is the best most stable version so far but it is a shame the voice commands don't work. Still amazed we can get any of this to work on our phones.
    Cool stuff! Got it working too! I'm still running into some kinks tho. I frequently get an "Audio Error. Please speak again" message in Voice Search. Are you getting this? What version of voice search do you have? Are you running Google Search as a system app? I'm trying Google Search version 3.3.11 just because that's what I had already downloaded from 1mobile, Voice Search is version 2.1.4. Both are running as user rather than system apps for me that way I can move them using Link2SD. Great work all! Things keep getting better!

Hmm... now I'm getting a similar error to what I was getting before: search button held brings up Voice Search assistant, voice search records question, Google search/now starts, question is repeated to me.... no text in blank. For some reason there seems to be a disconnect between what is said and the search blank.

Cool stuff! Got it working too! I'm still running into some kinks tho. I frequently get an "Audio Error. Please speak again" message in Voice Search. Are you getting this? What version of voice search do you have? Are you running Google Search as a system app? I'm trying Google Search version 3.3.11 just because that's what I had already downloaded from 1mobile, Voice Search is version 2.1.4. Both are running as user rather than system apps for me that way I can move them using Link2SD. Great work all! Things keep getting better!

Running voice version 1.9 I will have to upgrade and see if it makes a difference. I am not getting the audio error, probably since I am running slightly older versions than you are. I am on the os2sd version so I'm not using link2sd all under user apps. Looks like at least its trying to recognize your voice, where as I just get "google voice has stopped working error" I will upgrade to latest and report.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #473  
    o_O

Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Hmm... now I'm getting a similar error to what I was getting before: search button held brings up Voice Search assistant, voice search records question, Google search/now starts, question is repeated to me.... no text in blank. For some reason there seems to be a disconnect between what is said and the search blank.
    version 2.0 of velvet.apk still hooks to the assistant. later versions, um, draw a blank. although the GoogleNowVoiceSearch.apk (cz.jhg.googlenowvoicesearch v1.2.1 is what I found laying around) does listen and talk just fine. It just won't fill in the blank. I'm guessing when things changed from libvoicesearch.so to libgoogle_recognizer_jni.so (and then to the armv7 libgoogle_recognizer_jni_l.so and its two armv7 buddies,) the hooks changed too.

if you get the newest pa gapps (0-day gapps) from xda they'll install on os2sd. too big for internal. but you can pull apks and libs from them.
    if you flash them (mount system first,) remember to take out libjni_latinime.so or the keyboard'll FC over and over. google search 3.3.11 and the launcher are both working nicely... but no voice control. bah.

Running voice version 1.9 I will have to upgrade and see if it makes a difference. I am not getting the audio error, probably since I am running slightly older versions than you are. I am on the os2sd version so I'm not using link2sd all under user apps. Looks like at least its trying to recognize your voice, where as I just get "google voice has stopped working error" I will upgrade to latest and report.
    (I'm gonna abbreviate from here on: VSA is voice search assistant, Now is Google Search/Now, VS is the voice search app that VSA taps into)

So with VS 1.9 and Now 3.3.10 are you able to use VSA to get text in the Now blank? Think I may have misunderstood.

I thought I had my VS 2.1.4 and Now 3.3.11 to work once or twice, but now I get nothing in the blank. That's what it seemed like it was doing way back when I first switched up to 3.3.11 from 2.0: it worked once or twice then stopped (maybe after an os restart? Can't remember). If so, I wonder if something was still in memory from Now 2.0 that allowed VSA to work with Now 3.3.11? If so, does anyone think it's possible to cut and paste something (velvet?) from 2.0?
    Btw, just to clarify any confusion, I've yet to get the mic icon in ANY version of Now to work. I've only thought I had VSA work for just those select few searches, but might be wrong. My problems with the "speak again" error in VS are only occasional and seem more frequent during high resource usage.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsupersquid View Post
    version 2.0 of velvet.apk still hooks to the assistant. later versions, um, draw a blank. although the GoogleNowVoiceSearch.apk (cz.jhg.googlenowvoicesearch v1.2.1 is what I found laying around) does listen and talk just fine. It just won't fill in the blank. I'm guessing when things changed from libvoicesearch.so to libgoogle_recognizer_jni.so (and then to the armv7 libgoogle_recognizer_jni_l.so and its two armv7 buddies,) the hooks changed too.

if you get the newest pa gapps (0-day gapps) from xda they'll install on os2sd. too big for internal. but you can pull apks and libs from them.
    if you flash them (mount system first,) remember to take out libjni_latinime.so or the keyboard'll FC over and over. google search 3.3.11 and the launcher are both working nicely... but no voice control. bah.
    Yeah, I've had Now 3.3.11 Cards and the launcher working on my scripted internal, and yes they are both working nicely thanks to y'all's hard work on the ROM (Thanks again!). I'm not a big fan of the launcher as the search bar mic doesn't work. I just disable it in the default launcher and put a shortcut to Now on my desktop (or whatever is called in Android).
    So what do you think? Any way to swap/rename libs/apps from Now 2.0 and 3.3.11 to get the features from the resent with VSA integration from the outdated? If you feel this is a dead end, I may keep Google Now for the Cards and (since Swype's newest version disables it's voice input when it thinks you'll just hit the voice icon) I may install Dragon Assistant for it's voice search and hands-free functionality. Thoughts?

Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast