[ROM] Harmonia 1.87 Froyo (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 12June12

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
One thing I never understood is why the roms were not released in this fashion. Release just a base rom, and for all subsequent minor updates, release a single update zip that only contain the changes.

Base Rom V1.0: 65megs
Update Rom V1.1: 1meg of changes
Update Rom V1.2: V1.1 + 2 meg of changes
...and so on.

Just my two cents.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
One thing I never understood is why the roms were not released in this fashion. Release just a base rom, and for all subsequent minor updates, release a single update zip that only contain the changes.

...and so on.

Just my two cents.

How many updates would you like to install to get a working rom?

When I get this working I may do that, for now I just want to try and get it working properly. I just see that as somewhat sloppy as things progress. I like clean.

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

...and so on.

Just my two cents.

Speaking about why I wipe pre-ROM install earlier, the Wi-Fi strangeness is an almost perfect example why I always prefer full versions updated software if I get a chance to have it over incremental updates over top (Most times it works fine updating incrementally, but I really enjoy piece of the piece of mind that a proper install isn't a factor in why something would be all chunked up or not - especially testing something new).

With this Wi-Fi issue, my first thought would be something broke during hopping to 1.0.1 from 1.0, and more time would be used to wipe anyway and do a full 1.0.1 flash to remove the upgrade variable as part of the problem (in this case, it appears to NOT be in any way part of the issue, but still; piece of mind).
I can see merit by whichever method to some degree, though. It's really, for me, a personal prefrence thing (however much that's worth :p)

TL;DR I'm good whatever the ROM maker says is the way they wanna go. :D

All that said, I'm but a humble user of these ROMS, and whichever way an author went about it, I defer to their expertise over my very fundamental idea of how ROM customization works.

Your 2 cents are worth much more than mine, mmarz, so I will just leave this shiny penny here as my opinion. Mmmm.. Shiny.

-K

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I take everyone's opinion and thoughts into account, Kiernon.
It doesn't mean I necessarily listen to them, haha.

Anyhow, I tracked down the problem, and it's a Virgin problem. Let's just say it won't be a Harmonia problem, it's just the first to see it. I'm working on it, but it's not just a simple matter of swapping files, the problem is deeper than that.

Until I can get this fixed, I recommend either 1.0 and suffer the battery loss (stick to 3g?) or Aphrodite.

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It's all good. I've tried for 36 years to get people to listen to me and that hasn't worked out well before! hahaha!

Seriously, thanks again for scoping this out. At some point after this is all resolved and you'd if you have time and/or inclination, I'd like to hear more about what the issue is, if for no other reason than to understand a bit better what you guys go through.

This small setback for users shouldn't be a problem considering everyone was responsible with their own backups before flashing something new.

Right guys?

...RIGHT GUYS?...

-K

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It's all good. I've tried for 36 years to get people to listen to me and that hasn't worked out well before! hahaha!

Seriously, thanks again for scoping this out. At some point after this is all resolved and you'd if you have time and/or inclination, I'd like to hear more about what the issue is, if for no other reason than to understand a bit better what you guys go through.

This small setback for users shouldn't be a problem considering everyone was responsible with their own backups before flashing something new.

Right guys?

...RIGHT GUYS?...

-K

Right, I have 2. Backed this rom up and a RodimusRom with picasticks.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
For those wondering what happened,

Short version... We screwed up as a community and lost some important information.

Now, the long version... (rom and kernel builders take note!)
We have to go back to the beginning, to see how we got here. Yes it's long, deal with it.

When RevolutionRed ported the Xionia 005, he brought with it the associated drivers. While this increased battery life dramatically, it also brought the charging bug(s) many experience. Aphrodite continued using the Xionia system, as has Rodimus.

When we all flashed our first roms, we were all excited and no one really paid attention to how we had gained so much battery life, we all just assumed it was due to all of the optimizations. In a way, it's been a long time since RevolutionRed imported that kernel, and no one has really thought much about how those drivers effected us, we had no need to. Our phones kicked butt and we were happy.

When we flash an anykernel update to our roms, you only change the actual kernel. Everything else is retained. When you build a rom, you compile a boot.img. This contains the ramdisk, the kernel, which of course also brings the kernel animation, portions of the drivers, and a few other things. Most refer to the boot.img as the kernel, but in reality, it's only part of it.

Everything was peachy, we had fast roms, and things worked quite well.
That is, until we went back to LG source and brought back some of those drivers while creating the boot.img. While we eliminated the charging bugs, we brought back the wireless driver without knowing how bad it was. Apparently the stock wifi driver is complete and utter GARBAGE. So now we have to swap out those drivers at the boot.img level. I've already sent a message to Picasticks and given him as much as I can to help.

Basically anyone creating a rom from these new kernels is going to run into this issue and anyone flashing the anykernels to a stock rom will have these issues as well. I can fix it, but not as easily or as good as Picasticks.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I meant the actual Logo on the front of the phone I guess sandpaper is the only answer.

I believe it's behind the glass.
That means disassembling the phone, sanding off the backside of the glass and re-touching the paint.

The good side, is that this will hide very well, so long as the color matches. The bad side, it's a pain in the neck and not likely to work as well as it sounds.

Just pull up your screen protector, put a sticker over it and put the screen protector back.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
For those wondering what happened,

Short version... We screwed up as a community and lost some important information.

Now, the long version... (rom and kernel builders take note!)
We have to go back to the beginning, to see how we got here. Yes it's long, deal with it.

When RevolutionRed ported the Xionia 005, he brought with it the associated drivers. While this increased battery life dramatically, it also brought the charging bug(s) many experience. Aphrodite continued using the Xionia system, as has Rodimus.

When we all flashed our first roms, we were all excited and no one really paid attention to how we had gained so much battery life, we all just assumed it was due to all of the optimizations. In a way, it's been a long time since RevolutionRed imported that kernel, and no one has really thought much about how those drivers effected us, we had no need to. Our phones kicked butt and we were happy.

When we flash an anykernel update to our roms, you only change the actual kernel. Everything else is retained. When you build a rom, you compile a boot.img. This contains the ramdisk, the kernel, which of course also brings the kernel animation, portions of the drivers, and a few other things. Most refer to the boot.img as the kernel, but in reality, it's only part of it.

Everything was peachy, we had fast roms, and things worked quite well.
That is, until we went back to LG source and brought back some of those drivers while creating the boot.img. While we eliminated the charging bugs, we brought back the wireless driver without knowing how bad it was. Apparently the stock wifi driver is complete and utter GARBAGE. So now we have to swap out those drivers at the boot.img level. I've already sent a message to Picasticks and given him as much as I can to help.

Basically anyone creating a rom from these new kernels is going to run into this issue and anyone flashing the anykernels to a stock rom will have these issues as well. I can fix it, but not as easily or as good as Picasticks.

This should be reposted as it's own thread and possibly stickied. We have so many kernel makers in the community here it's a good time to centralize the information. And maybe get a team of mods together to hammer all these issues out.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one gettin considerable lag in this rom when playin games? I never used to lag in doodle jump, now I get spikes =[ .I like the rom, and thanks for creatin it, the charging was incredible, gonna have to go back to rodimus for a while. I'll come back after an update. Keep up the good work.

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd encourage this information being spread out wherever possible, as well. These are extremely good points that hopefully all ROM and kernel makers be brought to speed on.

In hindsight (always the way, isn't it?) and your explanation, this now makes perfect sense to even someone as limited in knowledge about these things as I have.

I wish nothing but the best, and can only to offer an extra device and feedback to check things out on the future progress in figuring things out, LeslieAnn.

You have my axe.

THREE CHEERS FOR HORRIBLE VIRGIN DRIVERS! HIP HIP HOORA--

Ah, screw 'em. ;)

-K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress