[FIX] ADB method to break factory reset bootloop by wiping /mtd8

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a lot of questions and methods for breaking the boot loop caused by the
privacy menu > factory reset
with a custom ROM.
zefie's explanation and suggestion is the simplest I've seen and it was the only thing that worked for me when I was clumsy enough to press that button months ago.
it's old, buried in the middle of a thread, and is getting hard to find on searches now because it's stale.
since no-one but me usually seems to suggest this particular method anymore, I thought I'd post it up fresh.

in a nutshell:

you need the ADB binary installed, either windows with the android sdk, or linux with the sdk or just the adb binary. there are tutorials for how to make that happen, this thread isn't about that. you may need to search out instructions.

What is happening that makes you want to try this
your phone will be rebooting, silver LG logo, then green android on black screen with text saying
formatting system
formatting cache
then it repeats. irritating and scary.
if your phone is doing anything else, like booting partway and freezing up, or rebooting without the LG recovery displaying that it's formatting, then this fix won't work for your problem and you'll have to keep searching.

to fix it (assuming this method works for you):

plug your phone into the usb cable connected to your pc.

open a command prompt (windows) or shell (linux).
you need the path set for adb to work already, or you'll have to go to the android sdk's /platform-tools folder where adb lives. again, using adb is covered other places, you'll have to search if you don't know.

cut-and-paste this line into the command prompt but don't push enter yet:
Code:
 adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8
adb reboot recovery

As soon as the silver LG logo diasppears and LGE factory recovery starts, press enter.
the timing may need to be adjusted on either side of where LG logo fades, and LGE recovery starts to format the two partitions, if adb says 'no device'
you can paste the line again and again until adb talks to the phone at the right time. you don't have but a few seconds each boot to get the command through to your V.
once the adb commands punch through, /dev/mtd/mtd8 is cleared so the boot loop should be gone and you will actually boot into recovery.

if your output says there's no flash_eraseall, it gets a little more convoluted.
Download the attached flash_eraseall.zip, but it's not really a zip file.
rename it flash_eraseall
copy it to the directory with adb.
then
Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw / /
adb push flash_eraseall /sbin/
adb shell chmod 755 /sbin/flash_eraseall
adb reboot recovery

let me know if this works for you;
but if you're having trouble installing the sdk or adb binary, the most I can do is point you to an appropriate thread or the android sdk home page after I do the search you should have done yourself.

Attachments

• flash_eraseall.zip
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,687
Last edited:

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [FIX] ADB method to break factory reset bootloop by wiping /m

I just pointed this to someone today. I thought I'd bump it to the front page so others can see it too.

Reactions: JerryScript

EpicSilver

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

im going to try this cuz i think drezliok suggestied it to me and this is the problem i am having.. just im not that familiar with adb (i mainly use terminal emulator).. Is there a thread you can point me to to help me get started with adb

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

A quick tip on the timing:

In most command windows, pressing the up arrow key will paste the last command you used back in. So when you are attemtping this, you press enter, if it doesn't work almost immediately, press the up arrow key and then enter again. Continue till you see it working.

Timing is everything with this method, so every little trick helps! ;)

Note- You may have to hit cntrl+c then up_arrow then enter, depends on if the command errors out right away or waits for the device to respond.

Last edited:

olivermccloud

May 2, 2012
Visit site

Wow thanks this is perfect! For anyone who can't get it fast enough, download Droid@Screen. Make sure you have the CMD window open, the text pasted, and Droid@Screen open. Then reboot your phone and right as the LG logo appears, hit the Restart ADB button in Droid@Screen and quickly switch back to the CMD window to hit enter when the text starts scrolling.
:D:D
Thanks man!

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I really think this should be stickied. It seems to always work, and there is no need to download any files (except sdk, which in my opinion anyone rooting and roming should have, its a lifesaver). just my opinion.

Rhojae ooper

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
i have been trying to fix this tf101 for ever i dont know what else to do im about 97% to smashing it into the wall

Okay so i am stuck in bootloop on cwm recovery v5.8.3.4 i had install the EOS-tf101-20130211-96.zio(i think its nightly) or something im a noob, anyways i dont know what to do everytime i try to cold boot it boots and stucks at red green yellow blue screen circle thingy. i have tried to mount data, i have tried to use easy flasher nvflash, i have tried to push rom on but when i adb devices nothing shows up no numbers or letters. but when i check devices on computer it says its connected i dont know what else to do im just going to buy an ipad with limited functions NOOO i need this to work im not rich lolI DOUBT THIS IS RIGHT THREAD FOR TF101 BUT ONLY THING I SEE THAT PEOPLE SAID THAT WORKS WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS AND QUICK REPLY PLEASE HELP ME I AM WILLING TO TEAMVIEW FOR HELP

jezzie bumatay

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Thnx bigsupersquid for the response, however, i only get 1 of two results ...
1. device not found
2. /sbin/sh: flash_eraseall: not found
/sbin/sh: adb: not found
I would appreciate it if you can further help me with this...
Your android wizardry is needed!! lol.

Toybitz Odniplu

May 19, 2014
Visit site
adb reboot recoveryadb shell mount -o remount,rw / / = ok
adb push flash_eraseall /sbin/ = no such file or directory
adb shell chmod 755 /sbin/flash_eraseall = permission denied
adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8 = not found
adb reboot recovery = ok
all of them device not found... pls help same problem to my phone...
flash_eraseall said not found i put it in platform-tools folder...

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
What seems to be the problem with your phone?
What did you do to it just prior to it having the problem?
When you plug your phone into the computer and cd to the C:/SDK/platform-tools folder, then type in:
Code:
adb devices
Do you see nothing, or do you see a bunch of number/letters?

If you see a bunch of numbers listed type in:
Code:
adb shell
(type in su right after hitting the enter key if you only get a $ after typing in adb shell and still getting a $)
What you need to see is a #.

If you can't get it to show a #, maybe we can find a better way to unbrick it.

Jonhyfun

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
if your output says there's no flash_eraseall, it gets a little more convoluted.
Download the attached flash_eraseall.zip, but it's not really a zip file.
rename it flash_eraseall
copy it to the directory with adb.
then
Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw / /
adb push flash_eraseall /sbin/
adb shell chmod 755 /sbin/flash_eraseall
adb reboot recovery
let me know if this works for you;
it gets stuck in 0% complete