Nexus One or BB9700

geminidad

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between the Nexus One and the Blackberry 9700. I've heard some problems with the Nexus One and the Blackberry 9700 seems to work perfectly fine, no problems at all. My phone will be used mostly for web browsing, sms and mms, and email (gmail). Which phone do you think is best for me? Anyone own both, care to share? Thanks for any replies and help, really appreciated. Also either phone will be replacing my computer, since mine broke. If there are already posts about this, I'm sorry just trying to get some help quickly because I don't have access to a computer for to long so I have to make up my mind quickly :(

--Alex

sd_bber

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
i would suggest the nexus if that is what you're gonna be using the phone for. if you already have a gmail account and are gonna be using the phone for web browsing/sms/mms/gmail, the nexus is great for all of those. the only thing the bold will have on the nexus in those categories is the push email (bb's bread and butter). and if you dont mind virtual keyboards, def go for the nexus. the 9700's keyboard isnt even all that great. its pretty small and cramped.
ive avent had these exact devices, but i have had downgraded versions of both. ive had the pearl and the mytouch (planning on getting the nexus within the next week) and i prefer android over bb for the typical reasons people like android. (customization, growing app market, open development, etc...)
as far as specs for both phones, im pretty sure the nexus has the bold in alot or every category.

Last edited:

undefined

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I currently have both phones :) I was previously a BlackBerry user (but i like to try the "hot phones" when they come out..)

When it comes to typing, BlackBerry wins for me hands down. I also like the battery life, navigating, camera is nice,.. i have all apps i need.

Nexus One is surely better for browsing, viewing photos / videos, gmail experience is better,..

After 1 week with nexus, i will most probably stick with my Bold 9700 and sell the N1. I will give it a couple of days more, to impress me :D

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I used to have the 9700 and I would pick the Nexus One any day. The problems you're referring to are probably about the data constantly switching between 3G and Edge and there are ways around that. Besides, I had the same problem when I was on the 9700. If you're going to have a phone for web browsing and checking your email, its the Nexus One hands down. SMS and MMS is better since the 9700 camera is really sharp and there's a physical keyboard, but then again the Nexus One is really good at speech to text so you could just speak all your texts. I gave up my 9700 a half a month before this phone came out because after just hearing about, I knew I had to have one.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
I had the 9700 from day one. Great device. Hands down the best BB I've owned. I sold it about 6 weeks later due to the fact that it just wasn't that much of a step-up from my 9000. The N1 I believe is a better overall device. It does everything BB does and more. Some of the things that are nice about a BB you'll need to download an app for. I think you'll get board with the 9700 quickly. There's just only so much you can do. The OS is outdated and yes its a BB, they have issues. Go look at some of thee Berry forums and a lot of it is "help" "my BB wont", those type of subjects. I'm not bashing BB, hell I've owned one for the last 7 years and will continue to own one. Just stating facts from a long time user. Android is where its at right now. Both great devices and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

geminidad

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, guys. I just ordered my Nexus One :)
If for what ever reason I don't like it (highly doubt it) or it
malfunctions I'll return it or trade it for the 9700 because these
two phones are the best on T-Mobile in my opinion, unless the
HD2 comes out soon, then who knows :)

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, guys. I just ordered my Nexus One :)
If for what ever reason I don't like it (highly doubt it) or it
malfunctions I'll return it or trade it for the 9700 because these
two phones are the best on T-Mobile in my opinion, unless the
HD2 comes out soon, then who knows :)

The nexus one is way better than the 9700. I bought the 9700 the day it came out and used it til the nexus one came out. The 9700 used to constantly drop 3G anytime you used it but the nexus always gets 3G even in my apartment which has always had horrible signal. Battery life is amazing on the device. I usually surf on it for several hours a day and it still has 25% or more battery left by the time I go to bed.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
i would suggest the nexus if that is what you're gonna be using the phone for. if you already have a gmail account and are gonna be using the phone for web browsing/sms/mms/gmail, the nexus is great for all of those. the only thing the bold will have on the nexus in those categories is the push email (bb's bread and butter). and if you dont mind virtual keyboards, def go for the nexus. the 9700's keyboard isnt even all that great. its pretty small and cramped.
ive avent had these exact devices, but i have had downgraded versions of both. ive had the pearl and the mytouch QUOTE]

No offense man but you compared a pearl Keyboard to a Blackberry 9700 (which the pearl uses T9 for typing WOW! he is joking everyone dont mind him), and said you have a downgraded version hahaha on both, ummmmmm I think NOT! Now to the OP i would say this all depends on personal preference, but here is my insight. If you are going to be using this to replace your computer i would say go with the Nexus 1, i wish you could wait sometime for all the bugs to be policed up, but no matter google is pretty good about doing this fairly quickly. I own a Blackberry 9700, and would say go nexus 1 even with the blackberry superior messeging capabilities because the nexus 1 has a better camera for your mms, and beautiful display for your browsing, and what not. also if you can put up with a virtual keyboard you will be golden with this device. (just my two cents) also my 9700 works great with 3G, and UMA so the guy above me must just be in a bad area, because its great service here in DC.

Last edited:

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
For what you want, Nexus One hands down. I am a former storm owner which was the best BB for browsing the internet and my Droid completely outperforms it. Messaging is quick and the notification bar is very convenient on android.

The pearl and Bold keyboards are not the same and neither are the devices that guy had. Different devices running different operating systems. Its pretty comical actually.

Unless your anal about needing a physical keyboard or specifically want BB OS then give the Nexus a try and enjoy the crap out of it.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
For what you want, Nexus One hands down. I am a former storm owner which was the best BB for browsing the internet and my Droid completely outperforms it. Messaging is quick and the notification bar is very convenient on android.

The pearl and Bold keyboards are not the same and neither are the devices that guy had. Different devices running different operating systems. Its pretty comical actually.

Unless your anal about needing a physical keyboard or specifically want BB OS then give the Nexus a try and enjoy the crap out of it.

Yea I literally said wtf when he compared a pearl to a 9700

Last edited:

sd_bber

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
i was not comparing the pearl to the 9700 at all. i was just using the pearl and the mytouch as examples of the two os the op was going to choose from.the only thing i wrote about the 9700's keyboard is that it isnt that great of a keyboard when put up to other blackberrys. the keys are really small and cramped. i have read my post 10 times and i really dont know where you guys are getting a comparison between the pearl and the bold.
your guys' reading comprehension level is really quite "comical".

Last edited:

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Nexus One is the way to go. So much more you can do with an Android phone than a BlackBerry.

I did love my 9700, especially with the awesome battery life.. but all BlackBerries get boring so quickly..

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nexus One is the way to go. So much more you can do with an Android phone than a BlackBerry.

I did love my 9700, especially with the awesome battery life.. but all BlackBerries get boring so quickly..

Boring yes, but functional. As a phone I still havent found anything to beat it, and I've used alot of phones. In addition to being a great phone, its extremely quick to do functions and tasks as well as be efficient at email & txt messaging. For this the BB still reigns supreme for me.

I have both ;) BB is my main phone, messaging device & organizer. Nexus one is for all the "fun stuff." Non business users may not appreciate the BB's strengths so much. I am waiting for the perfect love child of BB & Android :D

undefined

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
dtboos: i agree.

I've sure enjoyed playing videos and surfing the web on that great display of Nexus One.. Built quality, camera, Google experience is great,.. didn't like the soft keys very much..

Also i loved a game "What the Doodle" (sorf of very simple and straight forward multiplayer pictionary game..)..

But despite all the Nexus One greatness.. i must addmit that Bold 9700 suits me better.

I'm looking forward to try Nexus One (or some other high end android device) in a few months to see how they'll improve it..

dman91

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Get the BB if your main usage will consist of typing lengthy messages. Get the N1 if your main usage will consist of web surfing, watching YT videos, and gaming.

I came from a BB and the keyboard on it was very good for typing. When it comes to web browsing/multimedia, it needs a lot of improvement. My Droid, which is just like the N1, gets the job done well for web browsing/multimedia. When it comes to typing, it will be somewhat difficult for newcomers, especially those used to physical keyboards. I've had my Droid for a week now and have improved on my typing but it still isn't as easy to use as a BB's keyboard.

Both devices are great but it always comes down to what you will be using them for. I browse the web and utilize multimedia a lot, which is a reason I switched to Android.

peter2010

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi alex,
I have heard from a lot of people that nexus has got a lot of draw back and it won't be of use to a common man, it is just a business phone and i have heard of its problems from a quite a lot. I will suggest you to go for Blackberry.