Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

reebop

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Question for the guys who have had this since the first week or so since it came out. How is it holding up? I've considered picking one up but I wanted to wait and see how it was holding up with more use. I know it's impressed most folks out of the box but have you noticed any problems as you have continued to use it? Has anyone rooted it and been able to put apps on the SD card?
Mine is rooted and ROM'ed. I use Folder Mount to move apps. I have bought 3 of these tablets and have had no problems with any of them. I use Dolphin browser with Jetpack and it's fast on the internet. On a recent trip, on the motel wifi, the Sero 7 connected faster and stayed connected where my other tablets did not. The only shortcoming I have found is that the camera is not good in low-light situations. Other than that, i am quite pleased with them.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Question for the guys who have had this since the first week or so since it came out. How is it holding up? I've considered picking one up but I wanted to wait and see how it was holding up with more use. I know it's impressed most folks out of the box but have you noticed any problems as you have continued to use it? Has anyone rooted it and been able to put apps on the SD card?

I got mine the first day it went on sale.
Installed a screen saver to prevent finger prints.

Zero problems.
I rarely use my other tablets.

Posted via Android Central App

WHITE W0lfe

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I picked one up about a week ago. Everything is great except one little thing I noticed with the screen brightness. When the brightness is set to Auto I get a flicker, or a slight change in brightness going back and forth. Its only a slight change, but noticeable. I just got a 2nd one today and it does the same thing. Only does it when the brightness is on Auto though.

One other thing that bothers me is the screen brightness doesn't go low enough for night reading, at least not for me. I installed a dimming app and its much better.

So if you notice the screen slightly dimming and brightening on certain webpages try turning off Auto brightness.

I went from a standard Kindle Fire to the Sero and wow what a major improvement.

First post for me and I just wanted to share my findings.

Thanks to everyone here thats posted as it helped me determine which tablet to get.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I picked one up about a week ago. Everything is great except one little thing I noticed with the screen brightness. When the brightness is set to Auto I get a flicker, or a slight change in brightness going back and forth. Its only a slight change, but noticeable. I just got a 2nd one today and it does the same thing. Only does it when the brightness is on Auto though.

One other thing that bothers me is the screen brightness doesn't go low enough for night reading, at least not for me. I installed a dimming app and its much better.

So if you notice the screen slightly dimming and brightening on certain webpages try turning off Auto brightness.

I went from a standard Kindle Fire to the Sero and wow what a major improvement.

First post for me and I just wanted to share my findings.

Thanks to everyone here thats posted as it helped me determine which tablet to get.

Thanks for the tip.
I had to turn Auto Brightness on to see if mine does it.
I can't detect any flickering,, but it might be the Web pages.

I don't normally use this feature. The pull down settings are so easy to use I just adjust as needed on my phone and tablets.

One of my phones did this though. The sensor was to sensitive, that as I turned the phone, the sensor would detect subtle differences in the light and change the screen brightness then right back to where it was.

Posted via Android Central App

energnag

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced a problem with "duplicate" folders on the micro sd card ? I started with a simple Pictures, Music, Movies, Videos, Documents structure. Several days later I noticed that Gallery app indicated all of my pictures folders had doubled in number. When I displayed the content of a pictures folder, I saw a photo followed by a blank entry. Same occured for movies, etc.

Attached tablet to computer and examined S7 micro sd card in detail ....... I now have two Pictures folders, two music folders, etc. One folder has the original content, the second is empty. First time it happened, I reformatted the sd card and reloaded everything. A day or so later, same thing, duplicate copies of every folder ....... this time I ended up with 3 copies of each folder. Something is messing with the directory structure to the sd card. Any ideas what is causing it and how to elliminate ?

Oh yeah ....... There is a much simpler way to get rid of the duplicate files. Simply go into settings / storage and unmount the sd card followed by a mount sd card. When all is complete, you're back to a single set of folders.

Edit : Searching this problem on internet, I feel safe stating it is not a unique Sero 7 Pro problem. Looks like it has been going on for over a year and across different hardware platforms as well as Android OS releases. Can not tell how wide spread the problem is, but definitely occurring for multiple users. No reported cause or cure to date that I can find. While annoying, it is easily enough to cure with the SD unmount, SD mount procedure.

Sure would like to know cause / cure if any of you fine readers stumble across it.

UPDATE : My duplicate folder problem is related to the micro sd card. I removed the sd card and synced a number of photo and music files directly to the internal memory using Windows media Player. With these located on the internal memory, I have had NO re-occurance of duplicate folders. My sd card is 32 gig, class 10, formatted FAT32. All photo and music files were synced to the sd card using Windows media player. All video files ( MP4 ) were downloaded using drag and drop or copy / paste.

Did I do something out of line with the sd card ? Any other suggestions ? Thx.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Am I understanding correctly that you can't put apps on the SD card? So why have an SD card then?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

There are plenty of reasons to have an SD Card.
Tadb123, told you of two.

I also store movies, I have [deleted by moderator].

I have all photos I take on my phone synced to a folder on the SD card of my Tablet.
Hundreds of Docx, Xlsx files on the Sd card.
All my books are on the SD card.

You haven't been able to install apps to the SD card since Ginger Bread 2.3

Sent from my M470BSA

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE : My duplicate folder problem is related to the micro sd card. I removed the sd card and synced a number of photo and music files directly to the internal memory using Windows media Player. With these located on the internal memory, I have had NO re-occurance of duplicate folders. My sd card is 32 gig, class 10, formatted FAT32. All photo and music files were synced to the sd card using Windows media player. All video files ( MP4 ) were downloaded using drag and drop or copy / paste.

Did I do something out of line with the sd card ? Any other suggestions ? Thx.

If you have a card reader, try copying directly to the card. Do not plug the tablet into the PC.

Remove the card from the tablet, put it into the card reader and copy the files directly via drag and drop.

Perhaps the sync process is part of the problem.
Your file manager can report the copy process has finished when in fact it's still not complete.

I haven't synced a device via cable since my Win Mobile days.

Sent from my M470BSA

Last edited:

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hah, looks interesting. Might get one but already have a Nexus 7 keeping me busy. The only thing that will hold this back is if it will be popular enough to garner developer support for root, custom ROMs, tweaks, etc.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hah, looks interesting. Might get one but already have a Nexus 7 keeping me busy. The only thing that will hold this back is if it will be popular enough to garner developer support for root, custom ROMs, tweaks, etc.

It's already been rooted,and there is at least one rom available

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's already been rooted,and there is at least one rom available

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Glad for a working root method available for the tablet but it will be a long while until AOSP ROMs compiled with the Linaro toolchain will show up for this HiSense. (Assuming there will be enough ROM developer support that is)

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Just installed latest Google Maps and Sero 7 DOES NOT LIKE IT.
Install went fine, initial run went fine, then went to navigation entered two addresses for a route and the map portion of the screen went crazy. Flickering black & white map portion. Menu tab/w Maps logo, Search bar not effected. At the bottom of the screen the bar that has the Google copyright info goes from white to a gradated black on the second instance of the word Google. Button that sets current location also appears, but only works randomly.

Closed app, reloaded, all seemed well for awhile. Closed and opened a few more times. Sometimes came up with black screen on Map display. Tried to use and got a "Unfortunately, Maps has stopped." error message. Attempted a power down. Similar results. Happens in both portrait and landscape.

First issue whatsoever with this tablet. Actually has been a great little unit. Sent a notice to Google, along with whatever info they pull on data/hardware state. I'm not an expert but it seems like there's an issue with the screen driver software or something in the GPU. Internal storage not an issue, 1.4GB used on 4.1 GB free. on downloaded apps, Storage settings shows 3.6 GB available on 5.58GB available.

Very troubling. I'm going to do an uninstall/reinstall. All other apps and operations seem normal.

What do we think folks?

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Looking at stack trace on error report and seeing some out of memory lines, draw frame, and vector reports. Line # 685 comes up as well.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Just installed latest Google Maps and Sero 7 DOES NOT LIKE IT.
Install went fine, initial run went fine, then went to navigation entered two addresses for a route and the map portion of the screen went crazy. Flickering black & white map portion. Menu tab/w Maps logo, Search bar not effected. At the bottom of the screen the bar that has the Google copyright info goes from white to a gradated black on the second instance of the word Google. Button that sets current location also appears, but only works randomly.

Closed app, reloaded, all seemed well for awhile. Closed and opened a few more times. Sometimes came up with black screen on Map display. Tried to use and got a "Unfortunately, Maps has stopped." error message. Attempted a power down. Similar results. Happens in both portrait and landscape.

First issue whatsoever with this tablet. Actually has been a great little unit. Sent a notice to Google, along with whatever info they pull on data/hardware state. I'm not an expert but it seems like there's an issue with the screen driver software or something in the GPU. Internal storage not an issue, 1.4GB used on 4.1 GB free. on downloaded apps, Storage settings shows 3.6 GB available on 5.58GB available.

Very troubling. I'm going to do an uninstall/reinstall. All other apps and operations seem normal.

What do we think folks?

I had to restart my Sero 7 to get rid of the black Screen issue.

That aside, I don't like the new version.
Maybe it's because I'm so used to the old one.
The reviews talked about the update being easier to use and less steps to do things. I haven't seen that to be the case.

One example, I use My Places to store all the locations in multiple States I want to save.
When I got to this updates version of My Places.
They had filtered them to "Nearby places"
Had to swipe through multiple screens to find the rest.

Some of the issues with info boxes not clearing, speed of refreshing the screen, frequent maps have stopped messages, may have to do with the version I downloaded.

But overall it's a sorry update, read the reviews on Google Play to see what others think of it

Sent from my M470BSA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa