Tesco hudl: UK users post your opinions

richardcb

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Tesco hudl for just over 48 hours now and can honestly say I'm pleased with it. The only limiting factor is my inexperience with the Android OS so I can't say how well it performs in this area.

The unit is solidly build, heavier than I thought and of a much higher quality than I was expecting for a tablet of this price. It will be interesting to see how it performs as the first tablet computer to be aimed at the family market in the UK.

So what are your thoughts? Do you have one? Are you planning to get one or are you just sticking to the 'usual suspects'? Hudl users, make your voice heard in these forums. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread! From what I've read about the Hudl, it sounds like a great value. I'll be looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences as well!

richardcb

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread! From what I've read about the Hudl, it sounds like a great value. I'll be looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences as well!
So am I. Feels kinda lonely having, possibly, the only hudl in the community atm. ;)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Give it some time. As far as I know, it's currently only available in the UK, and this is a global forum!

Tamarmike

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Being grey haired, old and warty but up for a challenge - I thought I would drag myself, belatedly into the 21st Century, and buy a HUDL. It was a nice surprise to see that it was pretty easy to come to grips with most of the basics. Although there are a few things I'm not sure about - but luckily there's a HUDL guy in our local TESCO who doesn't seem to mind being bothered by my (probably foolish!!) questions.. so - so far the HUDL experience is pretty darn good!

sledl

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Before I went out and spent a lot of money on an iPad (already having an older iPhone) I wanted to try android and also wanted to see how little I could spend and still get something decent, so when the Hudl was announced with almost unmolested Jellybean and Google Play store (take note Kindle Fire) I ordered one the day they came out and picked it up from my local store a few days later together with the case/stand, total cost ?134.

First impressions were nice packaging and a general quality feel. There's a screen protector on the Hudl when it when it comes out of the box which is preprinted with directions to the various buttons and sockets. But it could be a bit clearer, meaning that I spent several minutes trying to turn it on by pressing the volume control. Sorting that out led me to a closer look at the buttons. The layout is very similar to the iPhone with a small on/off switch (on the phone it has another function) with a two-way volume control below. The switches on the iPhone are actually bigger, despite the device being about 1/3 of the size of the Hudl. Also they are prouder from the body, meaning they are better defined and easier to find by touch. And finally my Hudl is black. The buttons are also black and so virtually invisible. The body in the iPhone is also black but the buttons are chrome. Aha. This is why Apple has queues for their products.

Another related issue is that because the device has no home button, or other clear feature you can use to orient it (OK there is an almost invisible front facing camera) you never know which way round it is. So you never know which 'corner' has the on/off switch. I've resorted to sticking a small yellow dot from a flowchart on the screen near the switch to save endless groping around.

The screen itself seems fine. I was a bit concerned because a lot of the android devices I had seen like my friend's Samsung Galaxy had horrible bright lairy colours, but this is very clean. It's perhaps not quite as good as the Apple devices but these can seem quite muted, so a good balance. I can't see pixels on the screen unlike my old iPhone 3GS but most of the stuff I on YouTube and iPlayer is much lower res than the screen could manage anyway. Google friendly apps (such as YouTube and Maps) of course work really well.

The Hudl has a pair of small speakers in the back (perhaps one of the reasons its a bit heavier than some) and produces almost decent sound quality - way better than my iPhone (well it is tiny) and I presume iPads. But there is a problem. I can barely get sufficient headphone volume out of it. I cranked the YouTube volume up to max and then went into the system settings and cranked that up to max as well and all done it was just about slightly louder than I would normally use. To check the cans I connected them to the iPhone and there's plenty enough volume there to blow my ears off if I want to. So either I have a faulty unit or the headphone amplifier is just weak. Or there's another android setting I don't know about.

Similar problem with Wi-Fi. My iPhone works in my bedroom connecting to my router which is downstairs - well it is a bit marginal - say 90% of the time it's OK. The Hudl is the other way round - ie it works 10% of the time. Worse, once its given up it won't automatically reconnect, even if you move it right next to the router. You have to go into 'settings' and give it a poke to wake it up.

Overall I am quite pleased with the Hudl and it is a good starter for an android newbie. Assuming there is no cure I can live with the volume issue as even on max it doesn't distort.And I will have to rejig my wi-fi to get a better signal upstairs. In the meantime unless I am near my router I am back to my iPhone as although the screen now looks a bit weeny and low-res at least I can hear it and the wi-fi works.

fluffy pink banana

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Morning. I needed something that a colleauge and I could use for a diary and bought two of these with our vouchers. So far so good. Does anyone have any idea which diary/calender I can use that will sync identical calenders please? We plan to have one each and enter tasks/info as required but need each other to see the entries wherever we are. I am grateful for any help. I looked at Myoffice and the calender is great but we can't see the tasks on each others calender. Hope I am not wasting anyones time. I really like the Ipad but price and compatibility with other things leaves it out of the question and this seemed a good purchase and asking around I was told yes there would be something out there. Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Morning. I needed something that a colleauge and I could use for a diary and bought two of these with our vouchers. So far so good. Does anyone have any idea which diary/calender I can use that will sync identical calenders please? We plan to have one each and enter tasks/info as required but need each other to see the entries wherever we are. I am grateful for any help. I looked at Myoffice and the calender is great but we can't see the tasks on each others calender. Hope I am not wasting anyones time. I really like the Ipad but price and compatibility with other things leaves it out of the question and this seemed a good purchase and asking around I was told yes there would be something out there. Thank you.

How about Cozi Family Calendar & Lists?

bohica10

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi peeps, just tech Qs do you need any kind of internet sec on the hudl or is it take care of by Google or anyone else like Apple iPad.

supersnorker

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I've set up a new forum for the Hudl at hudlforums.com

Hopefully it will be a useful resource for Hudl users and those thinking of buying a Hudl.

Take a look!

Last edited:

nesseekay

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
after a week I am fairly pleased but have had the following problems....
Chrome doesn't always work so I am trying Firefox.
Email app doesn't allow you to choose number of emails to keep and I don't want to use gmail.
The camera in gallery stops working often. Sometimes I can revive it by clearing data and cache, sometimes not. Uninstalling Google plus seemed to help once but not always. so that may have been a lucky coincidence.
I agree that it is so sleek andblack it is hard to tell if it is upside down.
good value for ?60 of vouchers.

tonymarron

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello - I bought my Hudl on the day of release in UK and I love it. Fantastic value for money - if you want a tablet for emails, Twitter, Facebook, Internet and sharing content eg photos - then for the money this tablet is perfect.
Great screen and, although and Apple iPhone nut, I soon got used to Android.

IvanF7

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

Just wanted to say that I have never been a fan of ithings.....Loved the iPod until I realised that it had to be used with that fantastic piece of software 'iscrewupyourentiremusiccollection-tunes'

So have held off buying any form of tablet, but as a clubcard member it was too good a deal to miss and I have to say that it is fantastic.
I read reviews about poor screen quality, but I can't understand why, it is crystal clear and the audio quality and volume is also spot on.

I am using the calendar function, will be trying Blinkbox soon and have also loaded 'AirStream' a brilliant App that lets me stream audio from my music server.

11/10 for me so far.

Cheers, Ivan.

Sir Henry

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Switched it on and went on to register etc, it detected an update and now has locked up and won't switch off or do anything.

Looks like I will be returning it tomorrow :(

nesseekay

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have now had my hudl for 3 weeks and was happy-ish with it until it died... it now won't switch on. The charger successfully charges my phone so there is nothing wrong with the charger.
I will be returning it tomorrow in the hope that they replace it swiftly. Very irritating.

Ellie Smithy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I got the hudl for my birthday and started using it on the 12th. Admittedly it is used for a lot of times during the day, emails and facebook mostly (as i live miles from home it helps to keep in contact with the family)

I've just had it be weird today though.
At first it just died and wouldn't turn on for a good half hour. (it was dead battery wise but i left it to charge and it seemed fine)

Probably had it on for another hour just there, and now it has died completely, i've left it on charge but it doesn't seem to want to charge at all. It says it is but i try to switch it on is the empty battery sign, quiet upset as its the only HI-Tech thing i own (cheap phone and my partner uses the laptop, hence i loved this wee tablet, ment we didnt have to share the laptop)

As it is a gift i have no receipt or anything. Quiet upset, also don't live near a tesco, with no transport other than an hour bus drive each direction =/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia