What is your plan fellow users?

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Greetings fellow users, sorry to create another thread about this. However I wanted to ask you what are you planning to do since the news came out about Huawei and how quickly this whole thing is escalating. Crushing the company is clearly a goal here with 5G and (this would also benefit Apple too).

What is your plan with the phone that you have right now? Sell it? Keep it? Wait it out? Next month is another trade talk summit, however I do not expect any progress. There are sources at government that DJI and 2 other companies are next on the list.

Losing Google's license is probably the least they are worried now at Huawei, losing ARM license means they no longer can produce KIRIN (and a new server ARM chip they announced in January), which also means they cannot make ARM chip in their facilities, so if it is not arm most android apps will not work on future silicon.
The new OS, having no Google Play Store is a deal breaker, but maybe survivable, if done smartly, however not if it is not compatible with android apps at all. If they are not, then netflix and others won't probably be there.

I want to say something, I have owned a lot of phones in my 34 years, from Nokia, to Ericsson, Philips, Sony, Apple, Samsung. Latest one being S7 (which at the beginning drove me mad, but breaking 3 times), it came to a point that I could not find a perfect phone for me. Huawei came on radar with mate 10, then 20 now I bought P30 Pro on release. I must say that I think it is a perfect phone for me, if I nitpick yes I wanted 2K screen, but other than that. I absolutely love it, for the first time in my life I am happy with my purchase. I want to support them, but it also depends how, if I have to lose all APPS that I use in the future (not only google) for example if new os is not compatible with android apps or something prohibits companies to publish apps on their App Gallery (which is a mess).

Selling phone now 1 month later, would be tragic and not smart because the face value dropped so much I would be losing 50% of the phone value or more now. I was contemplating between P30 Pro and S7 Plus , but Sammy was more expensive and I wanted to give Huawei a go.

I also see the scenario where they drop the phone business all together. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Keeping my Mate 20 X for now.
Thought about selling it, but with this news, I'd probably be selling at a major loss. Personally, I think that this will all be sorted out over the next few months, and things will be back to normal. But, just in case, I'm researching some potential replacements.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
From what i read their own os will support apk they're working with aptiode maybe even buy it. I bought the P30 pro coming from a one year with P20 pro. I loved the p20 pro only thing was missing for me was the wide angle camera as soon as they made it available for P30 pro with wide angle/telephoto 5x zoom it was a no brainer to upgrade to that. I was quite happy with the P30 pro yes it has some flaws like FHD+ when it should be QHD+ aside from that it had a lot of plus as well the battery is amazing, fast charging was amazing, and tof is a new feature which i'm sure they will improve over time. Huawei has done a lot of great things for the camera which at the end of the day sold me cause no matter which smart phones you buy nowadays Camera feature is the most important feature for me I got rid of my dslr because smartphones are getting better and better each year providing better shots for night/wide angle camera and even with Zoom now. Dslr will always be better but also bigger so harder to travel with all those equipments. So it only make sense to have a smartphone that can at least do all that or come close to that. I looked at other smart phones with the photo quality Samsung over priced ( decent camera photos ) Pixel phones (focusing only on software to improve photos has great photos but needs to make use of other lens for other effects which i'm sure Pixel 4 will have) Apple not even going to touch that even more expensive than Samsung. Other brands like LG/Moto/ Nokia/one plus etc...Quality of photos not even close to my taste. So that's why this whole Huawei news has been really disappointing for me. Right now i'm going to keep til now and hopefully this issue will be resolve soon even if I'm behind on the Q i'm ok with that.

BTW I came from Apple/Samsung for years and now Huawei

Last edited:

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
I'll be clutching my p30s until Google services stop working I don't think that anything coming up will be better than those two phones and I don't foresee that happening for a few more years

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll be clutching my p30s until Google services stop working I don't think that anything coming up will be better than those two phones and I don't foresee that happening for a few more years

I hope they will find some solution but it's clear that they want Huawei gone, I also Huawei won't trust US anymore.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Very reluctantly listing it on eBay despite having bought it new from eBay a couple of weeks ago.

IF it sells, I'll go back to my Pixel 2.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
The moment I heard the sad news, I sold my phone the next day and bought a BlackBerry Key2 for the 2nd time as it's the most device I enjoyed when it comes to communication and typing, then I bought a NIKON D3500 for my photography needs as the S10 camera sucks, I've had the S10e and tried the S10+ at the store, when you zoom in the photo, it's grainy with a lot of noise. So was the case with the S9 I had before that even. The best camera is in the P30 and now that's gone, I'll just stick to a DSLR for my photography needs.

chris377

May 7, 2014
Visit site
keeping my p30pro until it falls apart which i assume it will be in 3 years. dont really care about android os updates anyway

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Keeping my Mate 20 Pro as it stills performs amazingly with great cameras. Was gonna update to the Mate 30 Pro but idk if they'll release it anymore.

Now I gotta find a new phone that offers just as great if not better of battery life and cameras than this.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I will keep my device. I got a very good deal when I bought it, I paid $190 for a P30 Pro and got a free Watch GT and 128 GB NM Card. Not a fire sale, Huawei and Samsung have huge deals when they introduce top tier devices in my country (Dominican Republic).

Dthorley23

May 28, 2019
Visit site
Greetings fellow users, sorry to create another thread about this. However I wanted to ask you what are you planning to do since the news came out about Huawei and how quickly this whole thing is escalating. Crushing the company is clearly a goal here with 5G and (this would also benefit Apple too).

What is your plan with the phone that you have right now? Sell it? Keep it? Wait it out? Next month is another trade talk summit, however I do not expect any progress. There are sources at government that DJI and 2 other companies are next on the list.

Losing Google's license is probably the least they are worried now at Huawei, losing ARM license means they no longer can produce KIRIN (and a new server ARM chip they announced in January), which also means they cannot make ARM chip in their facilities, so if it is not arm most android apps will not work on future silicon.
The new OS, having no Google Play Store is a deal breaker, but maybe survivable, if done smartly, however not if it is not compatible with android apps at all. If they are not, then netflix and others won't probably be there.

I want to say something, I have owned a lot of phones in my 34 years, from Nokia, to Ericsson, Philips, Sony, Apple, Samsung. Latest one being S7 (which at the beginning drove me mad, but breaking 3 times), it came to a point that I could not find a perfect phone for me. Huawei came on radar with mate 10, then 20 now I bought P30 Pro on release. I must say that I think it is a perfect phone for me, if I nitpick yes I wanted 2K screen, but other than that. I absolutely love it, for the first time in my life I am happy with my purchase. I want to support them, but it also depends how, if I have to lose all APPS that I use in the future (not only google) for example if new os is not compatible with android apps or something prohibits companies to publish apps on their App Gallery (which is a mess).

Selling phone now 1 month later, would be tragic and not smart because the face value dropped so much I would be losing 50% of the phone value or more now. I was contemplating between P30 Pro and S7 Plus , but Sammy was more expensive and I wanted to give Huawei a go.

I also see the scenario where they drop the phone business all together. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

I'm gonna stick it out. Nothing can be done in terms of getting any help for a replacement through contract suppliers as there is 'nothing wrong with the phones'. Selling for a fraction of its true value is ridiculous.

I have been looking at Huawei's apps and trying to get used to them in case this ban still goes through. May as well try and take as many positives as I can from a bad situation.

Baz S

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
Signed up to a 2 year contract, great data, and call perks. Hefty fee to leave the contract, can't afford that, so have to stick with the Huawei Mate 20 pro.
Great phone, serving me very well, but we will see by the years end if I need to find an alternative.

aluckyman

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a Mate 20 Pro two weeks ago. As a previous owner of s9+, I just love the new phone (actually aged), even EMUI 9.0. I dicided to keep it till it dies.
As for ***** ban, it might help Huawei grow much stronger!

dhaoracle

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I will be keeping my Hauwei Mate 9 for the long run until something better, preferably another Huawei comes out. There's no reason to move to something else when I'm already updated to Android Pie, have face unlock, a fast finger print scanner, a good camera, a headphone jack, all day batter and an IR Blaster.

Besides the screen this phone beats out a lot of phones today even though it's 2 years old.

Pavan Bolar

May 29, 2019
Visit site
I will be keeping my Honor View 20. There's no reason to panic and upgrade as my phone is updated to Android Pie, Has a Punch Hole Display , First Phone with 48MP camera , Headphone Jack (2019), 4000mah battery which lasts 2 days ,Fast Charging and an IR Blaster.

The Processor which is HiSilicon Kirin 980 developed by Huawei , seems to be year old but it still beats the latest processor i.e Snapdragon 845 and Snapdragon 855.

Huawei is already developing Android alternatine known as (HongMeng - Ark - Kirin OS)..as per the news it's gonna be much faster than Android and iOS and will support apps from both Android and iOS . This is going to be game changer.

Go check EROFS Linux file system and ARK Compiler from Huawei.

darkehawke

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Stick it out.
The p30 pro should be getting security updates still, from what i saw from google but tbh there's been so many updates i may have missed one

The P30 pro will get Android Q, its already been developed so I dont see why they wouldnt.

The P30 Pro is still miles ahead of this years competition, though Sammie is catching up.

This will probably end up coming to nothing. Trumps's already admitted he's doing it as part of a trade deal.
The man needs to be beaten and left on an island somewhere

ThePanserBjorn

May 29, 2019
Visit site

Thank you for your time.

Personally, I'm keeping my phone as it was worth £900 and I would make a massive loss selling it, and to me it is still worth the £900 I spent therefore I'm definitely keeping it and will see what happens. Huawei are also trying to overthrow the law in court by saying it goes against another law which effectively it does. So there is a fair chance everything might go back to normal until trump finds a more legal way of attacking Huawei.

May 29, 2019
Visit site

You and me both. I can't wait to get my hands on a new Huawei phone. I've had 3 different Huawei mobile internet devices in the past and they all worked fantastic. Didn't break the bank either. These people selling their phones because Huawei didn't cave to the gov't demands like ZTE are hysterical.