A Long Time Microsoft User Tries Android: Guess What? It’s Great!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Nice write up Laura, have you installed any WP 8 skins or just using the phone "as is" I have been thinking of doing the same thing as you, but just can't stand the grid of icons interface. Really I think MS should just make android phones with a WP skin & call it a day. The war was over before they knew they lost...
Thanks! I'm not using any custom skins, but I am using Nova Launcher.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I always see you here online. :D
My phone is Android Lollipop. Are there differences between Lollipop and the general system?

LOL! I just never sign out.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how Lollipop compares to other versions of Android? If so, the UI is a little different than that of KitKat, which I'm running on my Moto X. There really aren't many differences that I've noticed, other than the Bluetooth settings (and the appearance--but I'm using Nova Launcher anyway, so I picked Lollipop icons on my device running KitKat).

In terms of functionality and usability, KitKat and Lollipop work equally well for me.

ColeyLee

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
LOL! I just never sign out.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how Lollipop compares to other versions of Android? If so, the UI is a little different than that of KitKat, which I'm running on my Moto X. There really aren't many differences that I've noticed, other than the Bluetooth settings (and the appearance--but I'm using Nova Launcher anyway, so I picked Lollipop icons on my device running KitKat).

In terms of functionality and usability, KitKat and Lollipop work equally well for me.

:-*Yep. That's what I want to know.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Great write up Laura :)
I'm glad your enjoying your new phones especially the Moto X (2013) since its one of my phones. The other being Moto X (2014).Have fun with them !

larrynj

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Laura for the good info.

I've had several WPs and I haven't used Android since I had a Galaxy S2. I'm looking to get a new phone now and trying to decide between an iPhone, S6 or the upcoming G4. I use Exchange, Office, OneDrive the most on my phone so it's good to know that they work great with Android.

larrynj

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Well I made the switch last night from WP to Android. I have not used Android for 4 or 5 years since I had the Galaxy 2. My initial thoughts after just a few hours is it's confusing as hell. The top of my screen is lined with little icons battery, wifi ect. that I only know what half of them are, in fact I can hardly see them they are so small LOL. I'm really not concerned I'm excited to have something new and I'm sure once I use it for a few days I'll have it all figured out.

Chore number one is to find what works best with my work exchange server. This is what I use most on the phone. I need to be able to pull up old archived files from the server.

BTW: My new phone a LG G4 is awesome. It feels great in my hand, the screen is awesome and it really looks cool with the tan leather back.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I made the switch last night from WP to Android. I have not used Android for 4 or 5 years since I had the Galaxy 2. My initial thoughts after just a few hours is it's confusing as hell. The top of my screen is lined with little icons battery, wifi ect. that I only know what half of them are, in fact I can hardly see them they are so small LOL. I'm really not concerned I'm excited to have something new and I'm sure once I use it for a few days I'll have it all figured out.

Chore number one is to find what works best with my work exchange server. This is what I use most on the phone. I need to be able to pull up old archived files from the server.

BTW: My new phone a LG G4 is awesome. It feels great in my hand, the screen is awesome and it really looks cool with the tan leather back.
I agree. It might take a few days to figure out the icons and notifications (and even which apps you might want to disable notifications). One thing about Android is that notifications are great! The type of notifications you want (various sounds/vibration or no alert at all) are extremely customizable. I used to miss notifications on Windows Phone frequently, especially Skype notifications, since I only saw a constant "1" displayed in the tile, no matter how many new messages I had, or even if I read all my messages. I don't have that issue with Android.

I waited about a week after using my Android devices before writing my review, so I had a chance to learn how everything I needed worked.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Nice Laura. It's been a couple of months I know.

I would like to use the Outlook app primarily but never got around to it.
I also would like to change my 10 year default email address (@yahoo. com) to my Live/Outlook address, but thats really tough to do and alert everyone to change my contact.

So you have your Outlook Contacts also as Google Contacts now.

I do like all the MS apps.

I just saw a MS Lumia 640 for the first time though and am tempted to replace my backup Moto G as it's such a good price and reviews well. Those were helpful points. Still keeping my Samsung though.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Nice Laura. It's been a couple of months I know.

I would like to use the Outlook app primarily but never got around to it.
I also would like to change my 10 year default email address (@yahoo. com) to my Live/Outlook address, but thats really tough to do and alert everyone to change my contact.

So you have your Outlook Contacts also as Google Contacts now.

I do like all the MS apps.

I just saw a MS Lumia 640 for the first time though and am tempted to replace my backup Moto G as it's such a good price and reviews well. Those were helpful points. Still keeping my Samsung though.
I migrated all my Outlook contacts into my Google account using my desktop PC browser, so they were all there when the Android devices arrived. I set up everything using my home WiFi, so all that was left to do was go to the AT&T store and get a new SIM. My Lumia 920 took a microSIM, but the Moto X takes a nanoSIM. I got a SIM adapter in case I wanted to switch back to the Lumia 920, but I haven't had any desire to do so in the past 3½ months.

I did have the AT&T rep call me and leave a voicemail when I was at the store, just to ensure that visual voicemail worked, since I have had issues with visual voicemail when changing devices in the past. It worked fine.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I migrated all my Outlook contacts into my Google account using my desktop PC browser, so they were all there when the Android devices arrived. I set up everything using my home WiFi, so all that was left to do was go to the AT&T store and get a new SIM. My Lumia 920 took a microSIM, but the Moto X takes a nanoSIM. I got a SIM adapter in case I wanted to switch back to the Lumia 920, but I haven't had any desire to do so in the past 3½ months.

I did have the AT&T rep call me and leave a voicemail when I was at the store, just to ensure that visual voicemail worked, since I have had issues with visual voicemail when changing devices in the past. It worked fine.

Laura, I'm curious as to why you imported your contacts into your Google account, instead of just adding your Outlook.com account to your Android devices as a contact account. I prefer to have a single set of contacts, so I don't have to maintain them in multiple places. My one place happens to be my Google account, but as much as they have ticked me off lately, I've considered moving them to my Microsoft account instead. I guess one possibility would be if they were read-only on Android, but I haven't checked as I deleted all of my Hotmail contacts after I started using Google as my single contact account.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Laura, I'm curious as to why you imported your contacts into your Google account, instead of just adding your Outlook.com account to your Android devices as a contact account. I prefer to have a single set of contacts, so I don't have to maintain them in multiple places. My one place happens to be my Google account, but as much as they have ticked me off lately, I've considered moving them to my Microsoft account instead. I guess one possibility would be if they were read-only on Android, but I haven't checked as I deleted all of my Hotmail contacts after I started using Google as my single contact account.
I don't think I'd be able to make calls or send text messages if I didn't have my contacts in a Google account. Modern smartphones don't store contacts on the SIM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk