Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style vs. Nexus 6P

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What is the allure of the Nexus 6P over the MXPE?

I have the MXPE, but from what I've heard fingerprint scanner, perhaps slightly better performance, not only faster updates but likely update support longer, camera is generally seen as slightly better, especially low light shots. But I'm happy with my MXPE and would likely not trade it for a 6P. I think the MXPE is likely a little easier to handle one handed also.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I do not want to post this at the 6P forum, since would seem borderline trolling. After reading the reviews and hearing speaker comparisons, I am not sure what is the draw over the MXPE besides a month or so earlier updates.

1. Display overall is less bright and less color accuracy and hard to see outside.
2. Battery life is on average equal to the MXPE (based on reviews)
3. Front facing speakers sound tinny with less bass
4. Less than half the volume output from the headphone jack (that is not good for quality due to weaker audio gain)
5. Camera is not better
6. No sd slot
7. Costs more
8. No custom options
9. Radios apparently not as good

This is not a baited post. I really can not fathom the relative media frenzy for the 6P when it appears the MXPE is a far better device overall- especially for media fans.

A lot of what you post is subjective. The Nexus line is in a class by it's self imo. You can only get it through Google and the support for updates with the Nexus line goes a long way when compared to Motorola and some OEM.

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

My understanding is that low light camera performance is better on the 6p. Also the fingerprint scanner.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

As far as updates, seems with vanilla Android devices the hardware mainly defines the experience and a diminished or even negative return for updates. Case in point- Lollipop in general is a step backwards from Kitkat in regards to battery life, ram usage and storage loss due to ART.

Agreed though on the subjective part. Updates are not as important to me as the overall hardware experience and neither is a fingerprint scanner. The display, speaker output, headphone output, sd slot and radios though are fairly objective. It seems the allure is mainly the direct Google updates, which is subjective to the user. I am not an update chaser (for lack of better words), so am indifferent to it.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
What is the allure of the Nexus 6P over the MXPE?

All the reviews I've read said the battery is pretty good. Battery in Moto X was pretty meh. Also yes low light indoors camera was meh too. Low light camera on the nexus 6p looks pretty darned good from the pictures out so far. Those are the Two reasons I returned my mxpe and got a nexus 6p. Both are important to me and worth the switch.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Battery seems to be a very slight advantage for the 6P and once the mxpe has marshmallow and doze I imagine that gap will get smaller.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I have the MXPE, but from what I've heard fingerprint scanner, perhaps slightly better performance, not only faster updates but likely update support longer, camera is generally seen as slightly better, especially low light shots. But I'm happy with my MXPE and would likely not trade it for a 6P. I think the MXPE is likely a little easier to handle one handed also.

Saved me a post.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P vs. Moto X Pure Edition

Only reason why I'd want a 6p is vanilla, fingerprint scanner, OLED, and snapdragon 810. However, not having microsd is a killer to me

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Everyone should rank their requirements (knowing that there is no perfect phone).

If Android OS updates are high up on your list, nothing beats a Nexus.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Only reason why I'd want a 6p is vanilla, fingerprint scanner, OLED, and snapdragon 810. However, not having microsd is a killer to me

I agree with this minus the FP sensor, plus the 6p being bigger than the MXPE is a no go for me. If the 5x had OLED I would maybe be willing to jump but this MXPE is my favorite phone I've had so nah.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought they weren't getting rid of everything just some of the features that duplicate what was added to M.

Moto Migrate and the Motorola Connect Chrome Extension are the being retired. They don't have an AOSP/Nexus equivalent.

Everything else either stays or has an AOSP/Nexus replacement.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I've got both phones. Right now I'd choose the Moto X pure edition over the 6p in a heartbeat, except for the lack of confidence that I have in lenovo's commitment to timely updates.

ssgmun5000

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

I had been the thinking of switching from the MXPE to the 6P buy wanted to see a proper comparison. I have not found one. I consider the Moto to be the upper limits on how big of a phone I can handle. The 6P is slightly big and wider but everyone keeps raving about it.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I had been the thinking of switching from the MXPE to the 6P buy wanted to see a proper comparison. I have not found one. I consider the Moto to be the upper limits on how big of a phone I can handle. The 6P is slightly big and wider but everyone keeps raving about it.

I've been using my 6p the last few days and the MXPE is a lot easier to use one handed. A LOT easier.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Cannot decide.

Battery life difference? How different is the 6p vs mxpe?

Camera, how much of a difference?

I also second guess giving up moto's notifications which I love, even with android wear.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I have the 6p, and am still within my 14day return period and am seriously considering it.
I've yet to watch that pocketnow review (thanks for the mention).
Doze is fantastic, camera is meh (YMMV), fingerprint sensor is handy but not a deal breaker (moto 360 unlocks the phone for me & rarely use NFC payments).
Really, what i'd get the MXPE for is the voice actions, better sounding speakers, micro sd slot, screen (like it more than the 6p).
I'm banking on Lenovo giving good software updates (shoot me, right?), as I realize Nexus will be guaranteed those updates for 2 years

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I almost pulled the trigger on the MXP, but decided not to get it because 1) I don't like LCD screens 2) I wanted the fingerprint sensor and 3) I don't trust Lenovo to keep the software updated in a timely fashion. I've owned the N6, Moto X 2014 and now the N6P. My bottom line is that I like the fingerprint sensor a lot. Much more than I expected. The phone is fast, smooth and the battery life is excellent. I like my choice.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone trading in their XPE for a nexus 6p?

Seriously thinking about it. Mxpe is by Far my favoeite phone I've had but I always feel like I can get something better. I look at most things like that. I also worry about how long and timely this device will be updated. Overall the low light shots and battery have me almost convinced to switch but I worry how long this MXPE will sit on swappa for sale after I get the 6p. That's really the only thing holding me up. That, and switching all my cables to USB c

jasimpson89

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Moto X Pure/Style v Nexus 6P

So my nexus 5 broke and I have rekindled my love for my Nokia N9 but that can't sustain me forever as its slowly dying in terms of support. So I am stuck deciding between these two phone and I am really unsure which to get. I have read a number of threads already doing this comparison however I feel like they didn't answer the questions I was personally looking for. Here are my top most important things:

1. Software and notifications:

I think the nexus 6P wins this because of the update cycle but when 5.0 rolled out it pretty much ruined my N5. What I am undecided about here is how the extra moto stuff compares with the andriod 6.0 stuff:

A) Voice - its seems to me that OK google can be detected even when the screen is off so almost puts it on par with moto voice in terms of function?

B) Ambient display - I personally think I would prefer this over the moto implementation because I like using the quick actions on the notifications to quickly deal with them. And as far as I know with the moto display you can only dismiss or open them? Where I think the moto wins me over here is that the screen breathes so you can see it all the time. As far as I know the 6P will not do that?

Also is it true that if you touch the screen of the moto when its is off it will come alive? Does the 6P do this?

C) Both light the display when taken out of your pocket (and the 6P when it is nudged?). The one thing I will miss from my N9 is the always on screen with the time and any notifications. Do either of these phones do this?

D) Cool other stuff which moto app does, but it seems like some of this will get removed in the 6.0 update so not sure I should decide on this.

2. Camera

Basically I only really take low light photos so I think the 6P is better here

3. Battery

Ever since 5.0 ruined my battery life on the N5 this important to me and I think the 6P is slightly better here.

As you can see I am leaning towards to the 6P however the moto is £100 cheaper and extra moto stuff could swing it for me but am just not really sure. So every bodies insight into how you think moto software might help me is greatly appreciated. I also think the finger print scanner will actually be really handy especially when andriod pay rolls out the in UK as I intend to move to using my phone for all payments if possible.

Thanks for all your help in advance

James

P.S. To mods apologies if this is in the wrong place. I tried to post in phone wars (which I thought would be the right place) but it wouldn't let me .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19