Flashing kernels

ac295

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I am running the ICS sense redefined ROM and it was supported by two kernels...one standard CPU speed and one that is overclocked.

I flashed one and want to try the other.

Can I just fastboot flash over what is there, or do I need to wipe anything first?

I would have posted this in the ROM thread, but didn't have enough posts on the forum and was not allowed.

Thanks for any help.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Dude, this is the ROMs forum. I don't think Android Central is as up their own a$$ about having "X" number of posts before jumping into the deep end as another site and forum I know of *wink wink*

Anyway to answer your question, yes just flash over the other kernel. I make it a habit to wipe data and dalvik cache before I swap kernels....not a factory reset but just the one that says data, and of course the davik.

Edit: Just to avoid confusion you can't just flash any kernel with any ROM...Gingerbread Kernels go with GB ROMs, ICS kernels for ICS, and AOSP for AOSP.

Last edited:

ac295

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol yeah. Had to throw that in for a laugh for anyone that got it.

Thanks....I used to do the same when flashing kernels, but since I have to manuallly flash from pc using fastboot I was hoping I could skip that part.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Lol yeah. Had to throw that in for a laugh for anyone that got it.

Thanks....I used to do the same when flashing kernels, but since I have to manuallly flash from pc using fastboot I was hoping I could skip that part.

Lol...oh I got it immediately! Its my biggest pet peeve about that site and the reason why I have exactly 1 post and 1 post only...and that was to show my support for NilsP to get "Recognized Developer" status.

If you have the kernel as a .zip file and named it to PH98IMP.zip you can flash it from hboot...no pc required. Put it on the root of your SD as you would any other ROM and boot to Hboot, tell it to update and it should flash the kernel. Reboot the phone normally, remove it off your SD and your done.

Unless of course the ROM you're working on requires you to do the fastboot thing which it very well may.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress