GPS causes Rezound to randomly turn off

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Rezound ~2 weeks ago, and I went ahead and rooted it. Unfortunately, anytime my GPS is on (i.e. "Standalone GPS services"), my phone will just spontaneously turn off within 15 minutes or so. This of course renders my navigation useless, which is something I use my phone for a lot.

I thought that maybe doing a clean wipe/factory reset and then installing a new ROM (Scott's CleanROM) would rid me of the problem, but unfortunately, it has not.

I tried looking for answers to this problem online to no avail, so I'm hoping some of you may have some suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
ok you are using it for navigation, are you using a car dock? I am going to guess the rez is over heating and shutting down so that you do not burn it up. Honestly this is a common issue that can get better.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I don't use car dock. The thing is, it happens even when I'm using other GPS-dependent apps (like Google Maps, or Car Locator) OR when I'm not using anything at all but the GPS is still on.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly, just letting my phone sit there with the GPS + Maps running for 30 minutes didn't make my phone reboot. The temperature went from 96.7 F to 102.2 F, though. That's probably the first time it's gone that long without shutting off.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
So last night when I went to use it, it started at 88.8 F, and within one minute of booting up the GPS + Maps, the phone turned off - I couldn't even enter the name of my destination. Because it turned off so quickly, I didn't get a read on the battery temp, but when I rebooted the phone, it was at 92.3 F.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I am updating this thread just in case anybody was in a similar boat for the past few months - it looks like my problem was likely due to the combination of my ICS-like ROM and the Google Maps/Navigation that is incompatible with ICS on the Rezound (as many of you have now probably experienced).

As everyone else suggested, uninstall the updates and it should hopefully be working again. I haven't had a chance to test it on the road yet, but I've left my GPS on for a while now with no issues. I'm crossing my fingers....!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I am updating this thread just in case anybody was in a similar boat for the past few months - it looks like my problem was likely due to the combination of my ICS-like ROM and the Google Maps/Navigation that is incompatible with ICS on the Rezound (as many of you have now probably experienced).

As everyone else suggested, uninstall the updates and it should hopefully be working again. I haven't had a chance to test it on the road yet, but I've left my GPS on for a while now with no issues. I'm crossing my fingers....!
Unless your issues just began in the last week, when Google released 6.10.0, the core issue from before is NOT a Google Maps issue... All issues prior to that worked fine with the Rezound and ICS, most of us just removed updates when this came out a few days ago and side loaded in 6.9.2 from the week before and all was good.

BTW, for a nice alternative to Maps, try Waze, it is available in the Play Store.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Unless your issues just began in the last week, when Google released 6.10.0, the core issue from before is NOT a Google Maps issue... All issues prior to that worked fine with the Rezound and ICS, most of us just removed updates when this came out a few days ago and side loaded in 6.9.2 from the week before and all was good.

BTW, for a nice alternative to Maps, try Waze, it is available in the Play Store.

Ohh, good point! I didn't even realize that. I know Maps in particular started messing up after the update like everybody else (it was working prior to that), but Navigation/GPS-dependent apps were not working even prior to the update. I wonder why uninstalling updates to Maps (it went down to 6.7.0, I believe) has let my GPS-dependent apps start working again? I haven't yet tested it on the road, but so far, it seems promising.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Changed to Nils Business Sense 3.6 ICS, now the current Google Maps version causes reboot.

Solution: Uninstall updates, use old version. Worked perfectly for a ~1hour drive last weekend.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Changed to Nils Business Sense 3.6 ICS, now the current Google Maps version causes reboot.

Solution: Uninstall updates, use old version. Worked perfectly for a ~1hour drive last weekend.

Very interesting - I wonder why it worked for your previous ROM but not this one. Which version of Google Maps did you go down to?

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
New update today for Maps. Seems to have fixed the problem. I've got navigation running right now with the phone sitting on my desk. No reboots as of yet.

anon(862866)

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
New update today for Maps. Seems to have fixed the problem. I've got navigation running right now with the phone sitting on my desk. No reboots as of yet.

Boooo. Unfortunately, when I updated the new Maps, it didn't work for me (it rebooted within a minute). I know it seems to work for everybody else, but somehow it doesn't for me??? Any thoughts/ideas??? :(

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You're apparently not the only one it didn't work for. Someone else seems to have had more luck by uninstalling all maps updates and then updating directly to the new version. Give that a shot.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget the usual clearing cache/user data try before pulling in the update and after installing it if you're having issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699