Why can't we get top specs in a normal Size???

canesfan44

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand stand the debate. The OP was just voicing his frustration with the fact that there are no phones with top-level specs at 4" or less. I'm a little frustrated with this myself because my left arm is paralyzed. I would love to buy the Note 2, but I would have a tough time typing and wouldn't be able to use the stylus unless I put the phone down on something. I would love to have all the benefits of the Note 2, but on a smaller phone, I'm not sure how well a stylus would work. If my left arm still worked, I would already on the Note2, but ... Rican, I think you just have to think of it from the manufacturers stand point. If it costs them less to make a phone that has a 4.5" screen instead of a 4" screen, they booth have the exact same specs other than the screen-size, and have the exact same demand from consumers, they're going to make it 4.5" because they'll make more money. Yes, it sucks that a lot of consumers won't get exactly what they want, but the manufacturers are in this to make money, not to appease everyone. They try to cater to the masses, and with the current trend in high-end, top-spec smartphones, bigger is better. A trend might come along in another year that is the opposite. I'm with you in as far as I don't want my phone to barely fit in my pocket because it's too big, but, the masses don't feel the same way. Of course there are lots of people that agree with us, but that "lots of people" works out to be a pretty small percentage of consumers, and making something that 30% of consumers want is going to sell better than what 5% of consumers want. That being said, I completely understand why manufacturers are making bigger and bigger phones, but, like you, I'm very frustrated that I can't get a GS3 Mini that has 2gigs of Ram, but I'm just as frustrated that my left arm is paralyzed. It is what it is, but I'll do the best with what I have available.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand stand the debate. The OP was just voicing his frustration with the fact that there are no phones with top-level specs at 4" or less. I'm a little frustrated with this myself because my left arm is paralyzed. I would love to buy the Note 2, but I would have a tough time typing and wouldn't be able to use the stylus unless I put the phone down on something. I would love to have all the benefits of the Note 2, but on a smaller phone, I'm not sure how well a stylus would work. If my left arm still worked, I would already on the Note2, but ... Rican, I think you just have to think of it from the manufacturers stand point. If it costs them less to make a phone that has a 4.5" screen instead of a 4" screen, they booth have the exact same specs other than the screen-size, and have the exact same demand from consumers, they're going to make it 4.5" because they'll make more money. Yes, it sucks that a lot of consumers won't get exactly what they want, but the manufacturers are in this to make money, not to appease everyone. They try to cater to the masses, and with the current trend in high-end, top-spec smartphones, bigger is better. A trend might come along in another year that is the opposite. I'm with you in as far as I don't want my phone to barely fit in my pocket because it's too big, but, the masses don't feel the same way. Of course there are lots of people that agree with us, but that "lots of people" works out to be a pretty small percentage of consumers, and making something that 30% of consumers want is going to sell better than what 5% of consumers want. That being said, I completely understand why manufacturers are making bigger and bigger phones, but, like you, I'm very frustrated that I can't get a GS3 Mini that has 2gigs of Ram, but I'm just as frustrated that my left arm is paralyzed. It is what it is, but I'll do the best with what I have available.

Keep the spirit man! And trust me, agree that its something of a cost issue as well. But something tells me that a small high end would sell more than any big phone out there. A One x in 4" or a razr m with top specs would change the entire segment and if its a good design and maybe even a nexus device, i think it can potentially take on Apple on its own! Its a theory with no proof....but i think its one with a lot of common sense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

canesfan44

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I know, I was just saying that as a joke. I am looking at the Razr Maxx HD, but I do a lot of traveling and being able to swap batteries is pretty important to me as well. Despite how most people feel about the HTC Thunderbolt, and I've had it since the day it came out, I like it. I had a BlackBerry Storm before it, so I still think my Thunderbolt is incredible. My upgrade is ready and I'll save money with Verizons new shared data plans, so I'm just waiting till I find the right phone. I just want to see what new phones are announced in the next month or so. I would get the GS3 Mini right away if it had 2gigs of Ram, but I might just get the GS3 because I don't really have any problems typing on it with 1 hand (my left arm's paralyzed), but it's the just about biggest phone I can possibly use with only 1 hand. If I had 2 hands, I would already have the Note 2. I'm pretty jealous of all you privileged 2-handed people.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
One im sorry bro thats horrible and I know nothing I say will help this coming from a disabled veteran.

Two none of us are against the idea its making him understand why which he seems to fervently fight even now.

Three there are only like 3 phones with 2 gigs ram so its not mainstream yet give it time these phones are increasing in technology at astronomical rates this spec war is silly as its about functionality what he is looking for is a bigger e-pee pee saying my specs are better thats all he doesnt care about functionality as we have shown competing phones in similar sizes that he wants that perform well even in the current market he claims career minded individuals would never use phones of these sizes and that people only buy iphones because they are 4"

As for you sir I hope that soon you find a phone that will fit your needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

canesfan44

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I would like to think that a small top-spec phone would be a huge seller. Unfortunately, I think that if the average consumer had the choice between a 3.5-4" phone and the exact same phone but 4.5", the overwhelming majority would pick the 4.5" phone. A year or 2 from now, I might think differently, but right now I just think that people want bigger.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I know, I was just saying that as a joke. I am looking at the Razr Maxx HD, but I do a lot of traveling and being able to swap batteries is pretty important to me as well. Despite how most people feel about the HTC Thunderbolt, and I've had it since the day it came out, I like it. I had a BlackBerry Storm before it, so I still think my Thunderbolt is incredible. My upgrade is ready and I'll save money with Verizons new shared data plans, so I'm just waiting till I find the right phone. I just want to see what new phones are announced in the next month or so. I would get the GS3 Mini right away if it had 2gigs of Ram, but I might just get the GS3 because I don't really have any problems typing on it with 1 hand (my left arm's paralyzed), but it's the just about biggest phone I can possibly use with only 1 hand. If I had 2 hands, I would already have the Note 2. I'm pretty jealous of all you privileged 2-handed people.

Just remember that the guy with no hands is jealous of both of us ;). As i said, keep the spirit! The razr maxx hd looks amazing tho. I'd go for that over the GS3. Plus its 4.7in verses 4.8. Its only .1in but hey, we gotta trend down, not up lol

canesfan44

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
One im sorry bro thats horrible and I know nothing I say will help this coming from a disabled veteran.

Two none of us are against the idea its making him understand why which he seems to fervently fight even now.

Three there are only like 3 phones with 2 gigs ram so its not mainstream yet give it time these phones are increasing in technology at astronomical rates this spec war is silly as its about functionality what he is looking for is a bigger e-pee pee saying my specs are better thats all he doesnt care about functionality as we have shown competing phones in similar sizes that he wants that perform well even in the current market he claims career minded individuals would never use phones of these sizes and that people only buy iphones because they are 4"

As for you sir I hope that soon you find a phone that will fit your needs.

No need to worry about it Bro. Life is life, and I'm lucky it was just my arm and not my life. Seems like a more than fair trade to me, and you have no need to say that you're sorry... unless you were the drunk, coked-up driver that put me in the coma for 7 weeks and ripped all 5 brachial plexus nerves out of my spinal cord, lol. Anyway, I feel and agree with some the OP's frustration, but that's mostly just me being petty that I can't have exactly what I want, exactly when I want it. At least Android gives us so many options, whereas Apple leaves you no choice.

canesfan44

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just remember that the guy with no hands is jealous of both of us ;).

That's hilarious, I'm still laughing. I can't believe I never thought of that. I've always loved the original "In the land of the blind..." quote. I'll definitely be using that from now on when one of my buddies throws some cripple jokes at me.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
No need to worry about it Bro. Life is life, and I'm lucky it was just my arm and not my life. Seems like a more than fair trade to me, and you have no need to say that you're sorry... unless you were the drunk, coked-up driver that put me in the coma for 7 weeks and ripped all 5 brachial plexus nerves out of my spinal cord, lol. Anyway, I feel and agree with some the OP's frustration, but that's mostly just me being petty that I can't have exactly what I want, exactly when I want it. At least Android gives us so many options, whereas Apple leaves you no choice.

Its not petty to want and I agree that a higher end smaller phone would be a neat change but until there is proven money I fail to see it happening i've said before I have no quarrel with the idea but the way its been presented and the way its been fought I provided the counterpoints sales data surveys as well as battery data to disprove most if not all of his "arguments" his frustration is well understood but as I said earlier on if he wants said phone the best start is contacting oem's making his wishes known politely the way to change can start with one email

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Keep the spirit man! And trust me, agree that its something of a cost issue as well. But something tells me that a small high end would sell more than any big phone out there. A One x in 4" or a razr m with top specs would change the entire segment and if its a good design and maybe even a nexus device, i think it can potentially take on Apple on its own! Its a theory with no proof....but i think its one with a lot of common sense.

Okay. Then let's ask everyone who sees this post. Or maybe AC could do a survey on this topic. How many people who are reading this would rather buy a 4in sgs3 vs a 4.8in sgs3?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the posts. Great to hear frank, humorous and reasonable comments. You truly have a unique outlook on life and I Iove it. Made my night.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Then let's ask everyone who sees this post. Or maybe AC could do a survey on this topic. How many people who are reading this would rather buy a 4in sgs3 vs a 4.8in sgs3?

That would be a great idea. The same specs need to be emphasized

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Samsung stated from it's research "there's a lot of demand for a 4-inch device in Europe." They created the GS III Mini to meet that demand. It is indisputable that there exists a demand for mid-sized devices. What is disputable is whether the manufacturers can build such devices with high end specs at a price point that can make a profit.

There do exist some top quality mid-sized phones out there e.g. iPhone (non-Android however), Razr M, HTC One S, but not enough across all carriers to meet demand. And it seems that most newer mid-sized offerings are being released in European and Asian markets.

But those aren't high end top specs.

Think gs3 but shrunken down.

That is a high end phone

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) available - the galaxy S III!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Brad remember what I said about these communities and the percentage of actual smartphone users they represent roughly 2 to 3% AT most

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It would still make a good AC poll. Whos got phil's email? lol

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed as long as your not using those numbers to prove or disprove a large market have you emailed oems voicing your concerns rican

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Agreed as long as your not using those numbers to prove or disprove a large market have you emailed oems voicing your concerns rican

That post sounded like your scared of the possible results lmao... Just playin dude. But no, i haven't written OEMs. Too time consuming...

Last edited:

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
That post sounded like your scared of the possible results lmao... Just playin dude. But no, i haven't written OEMs. Too time consuming...

Na the results are fine but im saying ac is a very small percentage compared to overall smartphone users and most are not the average user leading to skewed results

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i'd like to point out again that its not so much screen size that makes makes the difference as it is the width of the phone. if OEMs could get a 4.5"+ screen on a phone no wider than 2.5" i think most people looking for a smaller form factor solution would be ecstatic. the size that i look for for best one-handed use and pocket-ability is a handset under 5" tall and at the most, 2.5" wide. if those specs are met, the screen could be 4.8" for all care...

Last edited: