The storage is showing incorrectly ?

Comrade71

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Samsung Galaxy A5 only a week ago and within a few days received a warning that I had insufficient space to install new apps from the Play store. I found that very strange considering the phone has 32 GB's of storage and there were only 30 or so apps installed (maximum size of them combined would be around 1.5GB's) I read up on this and found out if I move the apps to 'Phone storage' this would save space, indeed it did, when I moved an app that was 100MB's in size I then noticed 1GB had freed up in my 'Internal Storage', I moved 15-20 apps like this and noticed this freed up another 7-8GB's ? To me this is very strange but maybe that's the system newer phones use ?

It does not solve the problem though and recommendations to delete data for each app or empty the cache worked and somehow freed 3-4 GB's.

When I first open 'Storage' for about 1 second the grey bar shows it to be at about 25GB's (see image 1) and then it reads as about 3-4GB's which is correct. Something is amiss though I think.

Why do I have an 'Internal Storage' and a 'Phone Storage' is the drive in this phone partitioned ? The SD card is the only storage which reads correctly. Is this a glitch and do I need to update from Kitkat 4.4 to Lollipop 5.1 ? I have done a hard reset already and it did not help.

Basically I am asking if this is normal ?

Image 1. Storage shows like this for about 1 second.

1.jpg

and then reverts to this.

2.jpg

Phone storage with many apps installed on it.

3.jpg

SD card appears to be the only storage facility that reads correctly.

4.jpg

My Files app shows the correct amount of data.

5.jpg

6.jpg