Note 10.1 2014 is a bad decision

Albert Harnois

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I purchased two of these three days ago. One already has issues that Samsung cannot resolve. I have contacted their support group and have been told they have not yet been trained in this device, as it is too new. It will not go into sleep mode, but instead runs an endless loop of a Samsung video commercial each time sleep mode is attempted. So, we have to constantly shut it down. Really unbelievable. I purchased this at Best Buy, and will return there and demand a full refund. I will never buy another Samsung product.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I purchased two of these three days ago. One already has issues that Samsung cannot resolve. I have contacted their support group and have been told they have not yet been trained in this device, as it is too new. It will not go into sleep mode, but instead runs an endless loop of a Samsung video commercial each time sleep mode is attempted. So, we have to constantly shut it down. Really unbelievable. I purchased this at Best Buy, and will return there and demand a full refund. I will never buy another Samsung product.

That seems quite odd. I have a '14 Note 10.1 and it functions perfectly. Did the device always do this, since first used? Have you attempted a factory reset?

Note 8.0

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

You have it set to demo mode or with an active screensaver.

Look in your settings, I can't remember off hand where they are.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Yep, that is a screen saver clip of some helicopter and I can't recall what else. Easy to fix in your settings! Mine is a few weeks old and functioning perfectly. I even loaded Nova Launcher and have a great homescreen and different icons. Love it! New to Android but love it so far!

NEMESIS_RGZ

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd be wary of buying devices from BestBuy. The last few times I bought electronic devices from them (ie: tablets, Cellphones) none of them had the factory seal on them, despite the Sales Associates reassurance they are new & unused products. And all were not completely untouched. You can tell the inside protective packaging was tampered with and the device's had fingerprints. The most recent encounter was last month when I purchased a Sony Xperia Z Tablet from BestBuy. No Sony Factory Seal on the box. The protective wrapping was tampered with. And the device had fingerprints on it which indicates the device was used. Long story short, when I powered on the device, it booted directly to the home screen, there was no account created but there were settings that were altered. I returned to BB for full refund and ordered from Amazon with next-day prime shipping. Amazon's box had Sony's Factory Seal on it and when I removed the device it was spotless. And the device didn't boot to the home screen but ran the first time setup... Never buying from BestBuy again, that store is ridiculous. It seems there employees like to open boxes and play with the device's.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd be wary of buying devices from BestBuy. The last few times I bought electronic devices from them (ie: tablets, Cellphones) none of them had the factory seal on them, despite the Sales Associates reassurance they are new & unused products. And all were not completely untouched. You can tell the inside protective packaging was tampered with and the device's had fingerprints. The most recent encounter was last month when I purchased a Sony Xperia Z Tablet from BestBuy. No Sony Factory Seal on the box. The protective wrapping was tampered with. And the device had fingerprints on it which indicates the device was used. Long story short, when I powered on the device, it booted directly to the home screen, there was no account created but there were settings that were altered. I returned to BB for full refund and ordered from Amazon with next-day prime shipping. Amazon's box had Sony's Factory Seal on it and when I removed the device it was spotless. And the device didn't boot to the home screen but ran the first time setup... Never buying from BestBuy again, that store is ridiculous. It seems there employees like to open boxes and play with the device's.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

It could have just been that someone baught it and returned it because they decided on something else. However, Best Buy typically discounts open box items at least 10%. All I'm mentioning is that Best Buy may not have been deliberately out to deceive you.

Note 8.0

mugenakuma

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
That's very strange indeed. I've been playing with my tablet for 2 days nonstop and haven't had any issues. Also let me add that I love this tablet. It's by far the best tablet I've ever owned.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, some people like to demonize an entire product line for a single, bad unit (and in this case, a configuration issue, which is worse).

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
vu3ybege.jpg

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Char98

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I experienced this problem with my galaxy note 8, I was tearing my hair out. The Samsung ad you are seeing is a samsung screen saver when the device is in sleep mode! Go into your apps and search for an icon called screensaver. Click on it and you can disable it. What's really scary is that Samsung support did not know what this was. I hope this solves your problem.