Thanks for the "repair" -- Device Status Custom and can't update

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I recently got my tablet back from depot repair, and I am unable to check for updates because, "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available." If I go to Settings>General>About Device>Status, the Device Status reads "Custom".

I did not have an SD card installed when I first booted it up. Rebooting has not resolved this.

Anyone know if there's a way to clear this or do I have to send it back in for repair?

No one at Samsung support had any ideas other than a hard reset. The repair center claimed that I could still install updates, but they are clueless.

sirtaugs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
That usually means the tablet was rooted and Knox security locked it out of samsung servers (I think) Definitely take it back since that is considered a defected device.

Sent from my SM-P600

sirtaugs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Wait I read the post wrong. The repair techs obviously messed it up somewhere. Unless you have indeed rooted it yourself.

Sent from my SM-P600

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I didn't root it, so I suspect they used a refurb motherboard that had been rooted. They swear the part is brand new, but how else would this happen?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't root it, so I suspect they used a refurb motherboard that had been rooted. They swear the part is brand new, but how else would this happen?

As far as I know, the short answer to that question is it shouldn't act like its rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
This is what I got when I booted into recovery with Power, Home, and Vol Up:

20140117_090247_resized.jpg

And this when I pressed Power, Home, and Vol Down (which is what tech support told me to do, which I knew was wrong):

20140117_085525_resized.jpg

Clearly, it's been rooted?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The tech support guys probably left the device in 'service mode' or something like that. With their dongles (no pun intended) they're able to gain root access since they need that to overwrite files and do updates and firmware stuff, so maybe the tablet acts like it's rooted.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
This is what I got when I booted into recovery with Power, Home, and Vol Up:

And this when I pressed Power, Home, and Vol Down (which is what tech support told me to do, which I knew was wrong):

Clearly, it's been rooted?
Looks like it was a bad flash from tech guy and recovery/bootloader is corrupted. In download mode KNOX isnt listed either. Real bad job, by whoever did it and didnt bother to check before shipped it back to you.
It's not necessary means device is rooted, some OTA does change to custom too or SDcard inserted that contains rooted files.
Mail Samsung support these pictures and ship it back to them is the best thing to do.

Normal, you can "restore" it back to normal status, by download stock ROM and flash it with Odin. That probably Samsung techs guys gonna do, when ship it back to them and since recovery is "corrupted". Best is to ask them first and hear if you can do it u self.

This should show in download mode (ignore Qualcomm secureboot, since I have LTE version):
Note2014.jpg

Recovery Mode:
Note2014 recovery mode.jpg

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
After a few run ins with support, I finally got someone who knew what they were talking about. He suggested I do a firmware recovery via Kies in Odin mode, which is happening right now. There's no counter, so it looks like it was a sloppy job installing the firmware by the repair guys. Whatever they did didn't trip Knox.

BTW, the guy (who sounded like Matthew McConaughey) said any OTA update should install normally after this, but he didn't have an OTA version of kitkat to confirm. When I said, "no *OTA* version", he chuckled and said, "yeah, no *OTA* version" . So it looks like 4.4 is definitely being tested right now.

Last edited:

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm back in business. The Kies update worked. It's now the Official version, so OTA updates shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the responses.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So glad you were able to get it back. I'd really go nuts on that repair place tho, very sloppy work to cause you such aggravation.What were they fixing there?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I dropped it from about 5 or 6 inches above my coffee table. No visible damage, but the screen stopped working. They replaced the motherboard free of charge.

cb23shark

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Help!!! I too had to send my GN 10.1 2014 in for repair. I had a power loop issue. When I got it back it too has a custom rom on it now... Now longer able to receive updates... I sent it in Stock, all I want is it to be Stock again. Samsung says that they can fix it for $50. It was their repair technician that messed it up.

Posted via Android Central App

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Download Kies 3 from SAMSUNG KIES and install.

Make sure your tablet is fully charged, then power off. Press and hold down Home+Vol Down+Power (it's easier to hold down Vol Down and Home together then press power last).

You will get to the custom firmware screen. Press Vol Up to continue to Odin Mode.

Open Kies 3.

Connect the tablet to the PC. It should connect it Kies after it fully installs the driver.

Go to Tools|Firmware Upgrade and Initialization. The Model name is SM-P600 for wifi version. The model number is listed in Odin Mode if you have a different model. The serial is tricky -- if you still have the box, it's on a little sticker (the same one used to redeem rewards). If you don't have it, call service to get it. I don't think there's a way to get the serial via the tablet software.

Just follow the prompts to kick off the firmware replacement. As you can see from my screenshot above, this did not trip the Knox counter.

cb23shark

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Awesome, I Thank you a ton... I do still have the box. I have downloaded Kies, I will keep you posted on the recovery.

Posted via Android Central App

CHIRK2014

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
My device SM-P600 is not being seen by Samsung KIES3, I am trying to do the same recovery. I am guessing that it is a windows 8.1 issue, but I really do not know. I guess I will live with sucky custom build until I can try this on another machine. KIES3 loads up, I plug the note in, in Odin mode to the laptop, and blah, nothing happens. I get the blue ring of windows saying that KIES3 is unresponsive.
By the way, I am also cb23shark, I lost my login information, but low and behold here it is.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Its not win 8.1, its KIES and its a crap unreilable software to use. But if u still want to use it, turn off all firewall/antivirus first, before open KIES and it might works. If still not and there are others software that interfering with KIES. Reason that I never use KIES for anyhting, execpt install drivers for Samsung devices and Odin is more reliable then KIES for flashing stock firmware.
Same software that Samsung techs use to flash firmwares.

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I followed the posted Samsung Kies link, and downloaded the tutorial, but won't open, says "You must have Adobe Flash Player 10.1 or above to view the Tutorial Video".
Well I have already installed 10.1, and it shows in my settings application list? Maybe I need to enable the flash plugin, but can't find where?
Any ideas?