Play Store: Where O' Where did My Music go??

ErrTex77

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I've bought several songs and even a couple albums at the Play Store, but when I go to look for them on my device they are NOWHERE to be found. I received email receipts, so I know they are somewhere.... I have a Note 3 and this never happens with it.
Am i missing something?

Posted via Android Central App

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've bought several songs and even a couple albums at the Play Store, but when I go to look for them on my device they are NOWHERE to be found. I received email receipts, so I know they are somewhere.... I have a Note 3 and this never happens with it.
Am i missing something?

Your purchased music from Google Play, goes directly to your Google Play Music cloud. You can play it with Play Music app , looks like an orange headphones. But sadly, I do not think there is any way to dl the physical file to have easily, locally on your device. You can "pin" music to have it available so to speak on the device, but it's hidden and encrypted so you only have access to it thru that Google Play Music app This is why I don't buy music from Google. It's a sad fact that practices like this helps drive people forward torrent dl'ing

Last edited:

ErrTex77

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Dale, If it were that easy I'd not have posted for help. Diane, that was exactly what I was afraid of.... wish I'd known that before spending the $25... Damn.
Thank you.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Well from my side of the screen I have no idea what your expertise is.... For all I know and information you supplied, it may seem to me you may not even know what a folder may be or how to access one........ Sorry to have wasted so much bandwidth on my response....

Dale

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Dale, If it were that easy I'd not have posted for help. Diane, that was exactly what I was afraid of.... wish I'd known that before spending the $25... Damn.
Thank you.

I learned this the hard way too. When I got my Note I also wanted to use the credit for music. I tried it first with just 1 album and near drove myself insane looking for it. After messing with the play music app I found that pin thing. But could never find the dl'd files, even with advanced searches. I eventually called google play support and they confirmed what I suspected. They hide and code the files so you can play them on your devices by pinning them, but you can't see/copy/move them. oh well back to torrents for my music.

I wonder if you call and say you downloaded in error and can you get a refund? cant hurt to try huh?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I just download music from Amazon. I too, tried the Play Store download to verify my suspicions, and as everyone noted, you're locked to Google Play. No thanks.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I just download music from Amazon. I too, tried the Play Store download to verify my suspicions, and as everyone noted, you're locked to Google Play. No thanks.

Yep, Amazon does let you have full access to the music you PAY FOR. Really a shame Google does not

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, Amazon does let you have full access to the music you PAY FOR. Really a shame Google does not

I agree. I've downloaded from them for years. Never an issue. I use Power Amp and all my songs are there immediately, plus I can download it as many times as I want, to any of my devices and computers, not that 2 download limit on Google Play. Pffft!

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
So glad I ran across this post. I've been saving music to my wish list for when l get my perks. Thanks for the great info.

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
When you buy music from Google it is available in the cloud to play on any device or pc etc. However it is available too to be downloaded and to play locally. The files are not encrypted nor anything but are merely MP3 files... They allow two regular downloads of any music purchased but unlimited downloads from within their Music Manager pc program. I only buy from Google but not often, preferring to have the cd. I haven't ever bought music from Amazon but they are reputable enough that I bet they are nearly the same as Google. I watched reports years ago and not everyone sold MP3s at the best quality (highest bit rate). I rip my own at 320 kbps which is the best quality setting and is also what Google music files are at too... The file size is largest but insignificant as compared to video, etc. I have roughly 350+ cd's on a 32 gig micro SD card.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

Tia Wilkinson

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Go into Play Music (App looks like orange headphones)
Go to the top left corner the 3 horizontal lines are the menu .. hit that, go down to settings, hit Google account and log in :) then all your music from your Google play account that you just logged in with will be in your library :)

Happy listening ;)

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
U can store it locally on the phone for offline listening: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1250232?hl=en
Google play music foldler is at /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music
For cached music - cloud stored!

data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music
For locally stored in the device.
Then the device need to be ROOTED to copy it to others places (SD CARD ex), before can play it with others normal music players than google play music app.

jpconard

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Most of the early responses to this thread are wrong which is unfortunate as it gives people the wrong impression of Google Play music (esp. for a 2014 thread)...
1) I have found Google Play music to be one of the least restricted music sites both in number of devices and number of downloads.
2) Pinning the music on your mobile device is not really the same as downloading it. "Pinning it" does download true, vague named, mp3 files of your "owned" music which are not encrypted but are kind of hard to find. They can be copied and played without root..but the intent is not for that purpose...you should...see 3
3) download your purchased music through a PC music manager app or now even more conveniently through a chrome app, so Chromebooks can now manage your music at google play...
4) Also you can upload previously owned music to google up to 20,000 files and google will scan and match with a better quality 320kbps copy, so I'm told. Any music purchased at google play does not count towards 20,000.
5) Google play all access is kind of pricey at $9.99, but recent promo 90 day demo for Chromecast owners. It plays radio type mixes but even better allows searching for entire albums and even allows "pinning" them for offline listening. Newer albums I've found don't always have all songs available, probably to encourage purchase.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it can be downloaded. I couldn't tell you how right now. It took me a while to search for the instructions several months ago and I haven't done it since. I wanted to use my free Google Play Store credits for "Frozen" music for my granddaughter but this bull of just streaming bought and paid for music wasn't going to fly! I have copies of the songs on my desktop, tablet and phone (and usb drive in my car).

Anthony Bird

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Just sign in the Google Play store. Select the orange headphones to see My Library. You should see your music that you purchased. Hover the mouse over the track and click on the three little dots link. Select download album. Save file to your pc. Then you will have the actual file on your hard drive. Your welcome.

Anthony Bird

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Just sign in the Google Play store ( on your pc browser ). Select the orange headphones to see My Library. You should see your music that you purchased. Hover the mouse over the track and click on the three little dots link. Select download album. Save file to your pc. Then you will have the actual file on your hard drive. Your welcome.

glenngold

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Use iTunes i.e. download onto your computer and then load onto your Samsung. By the way Dale_M, you sound like a real know it all who probably doesn't know much. People like you should rather stay off public forums as your irrelevant sarcasm only tends to add to the "noise". Sorry to have wasted so much bandwidth on my response....

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Use iTunes i.e. download onto your computer and then load onto your Samsung. By the way Dale_M, you sound like a real know it all who probably doesn't know much. People like you should rather stay off public forums as your irrelevant sarcasm only tends to add to the "noise". Sorry to have wasted so much bandwidth on my response....

Wishing you a Happy New Year and all the best in 2015....

Dale

breco

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Most useful answer, thank you Anthony. As a new owner of a Note 3, I made mistake of making a Google Play album purchase just after Xmas. With the Kitkat 4.4.2 (& anti-rooting patch) before mentioned locations no longer work. There are no mp3 files stored in phone. Downloads do not save for off-line listening (Dale). Google (Android) have also prevented all read/write capabilitiy to external SD cards rendering any phone limited to its original internal storage capacity, which sucks as this is why I bought an android. I managed to get my album on PC as mp3 using your method.
i got this msg though, but I'll never make another purchase on Play for music anyway:
Are you sure you want to download the selected song to your computer?
Each song can be downloaded 2 times on the web. This limit does not apply when you use Google Play Music for Chrome to download.

Anyway. thanks for post Anthony.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez