Working with Odin

DeanoD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've read and re-read several "how to's" about using Odin. I am itching to just root and flash a custom ROM rather than wait for the mythical Lollipop update to appear. I've rooted others tabs before, so the process is not entirely new to me. I just need a bit more info. Of course I recently bought a "NEW" 2014 unit and was promised by the salesman that it would definitely "get" Lollipop. And that was the FIRST lie among many more to come. It would be nice if both Samsung and the store had been honest enough to SAY say that this was a discontinued model. But it had the great features and the pen. With my arthritic hands it is a godsend. Sorry for the rant here.
I understand that Odin allows file to be flashed to a device via a PC. But, after the initial flashing of the CF tool and recovery, would I still need to run ODIN for subsequent ROM flashing? I ask this as my
WIN 7 Laptop is a slow and dying beast. It took me forever to fix the Samsung USB driver problem. But I finally got the laptop to "see" my tablet. Now I am searching the ROMS for the best candidate.
And big thanks to everyone here with the tips and support. So much better than from Samsung... ;-Deano

DeanoD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've read that one as well as many others. I'm still unclear about a few nagging issues:
Since my p600 unit has the last official KK upgrade, do I need to worry about the read/write restrictions on my ext Sd card? And I right in thinking that will only happen with a new Lollipop ROM?
At which point in the backup/rooting/recovery/ROM flashing process can I be done with needing a PC?
My Win7 laptop is a total pig, but I might upgrade to Win10, hoping I can still use it for emergecies.
I'm just now reading up on rashr which is an app to use for flashing ROMS outside of recovery.
Still learning and asking questions 'til I'm confident enough.... ;-Deano

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I would be very leary of rooting any android device without access to a windows pc or laptop. I sent my p605 into several boot loops before I successfully rooted it. Recovery was only possible by flashing the (then) current samsung rom through ODIN.

At present I am running 4.4.2 cleaned out and a couple of add-ons to improve user interactions. Multiwindow, helium and titanium comes to mind. You can easily add write to sd card permissions once you have rooted(if that is what you require)

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
And I right in thinking that will only happen with a new Lollipop ROM?
Still learning and asking questions 'til I'm confident enough.... ;-Deano

If you read the threat of Bluetooth keyboard stop working after updated to Lollipop in Galaxy Note Pro 12.2, more than 100,000 views as of today,
I think you'll reconsider this option, a new system still have many bugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movefla19