Current owners thoughts on Note 10.1

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
What do those who own the Note 10.1 think? It seems I have gotten mixed reviews on this device. I went to best buy and checked it out and I absolutely loved the 5 minutes I spent with it. The screen resolution (which everyone has been branding HARSHLY) was not that bad. They keep saying 'Low res' screens but 720 is HD and it looked pretty good to me.

So what do you current owners really think about the device? Is it that bad? I want to get something to take notes in Med school, would it be worth it?

Reactions: Kikoshi

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I've written notes and sketched drawings/ideas. Just finished a few. It's great when an idea pops in my head and I don't need to scramble for a pen and paper. Screen is just fine for me. Watched some movies on it already. I even use it as the remote for the tv in my little home office. What's great is that I haven't even scratched the surface of this bad boy.

It's been very handy for me and can only get better at this point as I've yet to use it for the reason I bought it (business). Well, I guess the doodles are business related (designs and such), but yeah... This is the tablet I was waiting for and it did NOT disappoint in the slightest.

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
For MedSchool it would be worth it, sicne you can take pictures and add it with your notes, not only that, you can draw whatever, or have a Chart of the body, and just write notes over it, there's alot of things you can use the camera, and the pen for.

Though overall im quite happy with the tablet, it was something that i've been waiting for, and samsung did it right, when choosing Wacom as their Pen to Screen Digital Pen ;)

It's also my first ever android tablet. The Ipad, and the other android tablets, never grasped my interest as much as the Note 10.1 has :)

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I own the Note 5.3, and now the 10.1, and I can truly say they are both worthy devices.

What makes the 10.1 stand out is its note taking capabilities. I would say that if note taking is not a priority for you then there are other Android tablets, or even an iPad that would suffice. However, if you need or desire to have a device that allows you to take notes electronically so you can file, store, and categorize those notes then the 10.1 is the device to have.

Writing on it is so fluid, and provides the closest experience to regular pen and paper note taking I've ever seen. I work in a corporate setting and I use my 10.1 everyday in meetings. I take my handwritten notes and then create folders and sub-folders to file and store them. I upload my notes to either Dropbox or Evernote for cloud storage so I can access them anywhere or anytime.

I never have to worry about losing my notepad and spiral books, or notes and thoughts all scattered around on multiple sticky notes, notepads, or books, and thus scrambling around trying to find where I wrote down a thought or idea. All notes are taken, stored, filed, and referenced on one device.

Used in conjunction with my Note 5.3, I can even transfer my Notes between the two devices when I need to be more portable, and the 10.1 is not practical to carry into certain settings.

Only you can determine if this device suits your specific needs, but my experience has been incredible. For those needing a way to take notes electronically the Note 10.1 is the device to have. In the moments when note taking is not taking place, it's also a very good Android tablet for watching movies, reading and responding to email, viewing photos, and like another responder said, it's TV and cable remote control capabilities are pretty nice as well. :)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the international version? When the GS3 came to AT&T in the US, Dropbox storage was not an option.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have zero regrets about my 10.1 note purchase. Instead of carrying around dozens of hard copy applications I now carrying around 1 device. I can fill out the application and have the client sign it. Makes my briefcase a lot lighter. I can't imagine how much easier this would have made my life in college and graduate school.

I also have the 5.3 note that was my secondary phone. It's primary use was mini tablet. My 10.1 note is much nicer and easier to write on because it is closer to actual 8.5x11 paper size. My 5.3 note is currently up for sale on ebay as the 10.1 note has become my note taking device of choice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the international version? When the GS3 came to AT&T in the US, Dropbox storage was not an option.

I'm not sure I follow you here. You can always install the Dropbox app on your device and use your dropbox account to store/retreive files. If you mean the US SGS3 did not give you any extra free storage space, well... I don't own an SGS3, so I don't know. I've gotten extra free storage with two Samsung tablet purchases this year (the Tab 2 7.0 and the Note 10.1). As well, I have the US Note 10.1 and have uploaded files to my dropbox account -- in fact, the app is pre-installed.

My thought's on the OPs question:

I absolutely love my Note 10.1 -- if you've ever desired more accurate use of a stylus on a tablet, it is the only game in town. I've been itching for exactly this ability, so I picked up the Note on the first day I could. I use it more for artwork and design ideas than note-taking, though I see myself using S-Note more often (handwriting to text, anyone?) just because it's so well done. The stylus truly makes the Note a great tool, and it doubles as an entertainment device, too. I love being able to make more use of a single device -- being able to flip between jotting ideas down (when something brilliant strikes) and a game of Angry Birds or a good Kindle book is pure awesomeness.

A lot of people have been slamming the Note's stylus, but if it fits your needs, the Wacom technology in the s-pen is unmatched on any other android device. And bonus, I've been told any Wacom stylus (including those for other slates) will work with it.

Kudos to Samsung for making a truly useful 10 inch tablet -- it's just a crying shame the reviews (as stupidly biased against the pen and display resolution as they were) may turn people off (quite possibly wrongfully so) to it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought that I heard about 50 GB of free Dropbox storage with the Note 10.1. When the GS3 made it to the US, no free Dropbox storage.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I love my Notes, I have the tablet and the smaller 5.3 that I hate to call a mere phone. I'm glad you asked to clarify the reviews. Some reviewers have written that the display is less than perfect, that's true. It's not state of the art, but it's the next best thing. I think it's very sharp and clear, watching video is great. Some reviewers complained of a lag, or slowness about it but I have yet to really have any delay that's unexpected. If any tablet had all of these features and state of the art everything, it would have priced itself right out of the market. As for the best of the features, this baby can multi-task! REALLY! I can have the web on one side, and notes on the other. I can do a screen shot, write notes on it, and slide it to a note page. Take a look at my attachment. You can write all over pdf files either with S notes or the text book reader. You can really have research from the web on one side, note pad on the other and even a moveable media player on top of all that! Yeah, some reviewers have said there's a delay when moving from one app to the other, but it's only a half a second and really if everything stayed actively running can you imagine how fast the battery would drain!

The S-pen for writing is superb, it's like writing with a gel pen. The S Note application let's you write multiple pages. You can share them through email, wifi direct or bluetooth. I have several set as short cuts on my home screen so they're quick to access. The handwriting to text feature works well too. It takes a bit of getting used to but once I played with it for a bit, I couldn't believe how few typos there were to correct.

Plus, if you get one you can always come on here to ask for help!

How are all those selling points? :)

For me, the multitasking and S-pen writing capabilities are worth the price of this tablet in themselves. Being able to look up things on the net and make notes while having lunch or sitting on the patio is just wonderful.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

The Af&t version of the Gs3 had Dropbox, but it didn't offer two year, 50gb free storage promotion. Dropbox offers 2gb free storage for any new registration.

I have the US version Note 10.1. 16gb gray from Best Buy.

Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The Af&t version of the Gs3 had Dropbox, but it didn't offer two year, 50gb free storage promotion. Dropbox offers 2gb free storage for any new registration.

I have the US version Note 10.1. 16gb gray from Best Buy.

Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

How long is the 2 GB storage free? That doesn't seem like a lot.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a white Samsung galaxy note 10.1 got it from best buy on Wednesday and was delivered on Friday by ups, I am still playing with it and I am really loving it. I agree with you the multitasking and the s-pen features are the best features of this tablet. It also goes great with my white sexy Samsung galaxy S3 phone and I am on Sprint and if they get the note 2, I will also get that as well.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a white Samsung galaxy note 10.1 got it from best buy on Wednesday and was delivered on Friday by ups, I am still playing with it and I am really loving it. I agree with you the multitasking and the s-pen features are the best features of this tablet. It also goes great with my white sexy Samsung galaxy S3 phone and I am on Sprint and if they get the note 2, I will also get that as well.

@smooches680: Do have the hotspot feature turned on? I am hoping the Note2 lands on Sprint, because although I already own the Note 5.3 on At&t, I can't access the web on my 10.1 while at work because we don't have wifi in our building. I have not activated the hotspot feature on my At&t account because my bill is already too high.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
@smooches680: Do have the hotspot feature turned on? I am hoping the Note2 lands on Sprint, because although I already own the Note 5.3 on At&t, I can't access the web on my 10.1 while at work because we don't have wifi in our building. I have not activated the hotspot feature on my At&t account because my bill is already too high.

No I don't use the hotspot feature on Sprint because my cell phone bill is also expensive, but I hope we do get the galaxy note 2.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That's good to hear, some positive feedback about the tablet. I'm meaning towards getting one. Thanks guys for your input!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Check out the Mobile Tech Review posted in this sub-forum as well as their website. They also review the Asus T700 and the new iPad. They also do smackdowns among the three. The Note 10.1 definitely holds it own. I hope to find out in person when mine arrives early this week.

buca1ca

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Im putting this on my Christmas wish list! Saving my phone upgrade until i see what the note 2 has to offer...have a great week everyone!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I bet they introduce some crazy integration features to maximize the effectiveness of the Note 2 and the Note 10.1. It will be SO hard to not sell my Razr Maxx and Bionic to lower the cost of the Note 2 at full retail. I REALLY want to see the way these two devices work together.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I bet they introduce some crazy integration features to maximize the effectiveness of the Note 2 and the Note 10.1. It will be SO hard to not sell my Razr Maxx and Bionic to lower the cost of the Note 2 at full retail. I REALLY want to see the way these two devices work together.

I would like to see that too. I switch between a Maxx and a GNex, but if VZW gets the Note I'd love to try it out. I'm really getting familiar with this 10.1, and after a few rounds with other Android tablets, this one is going to be a keeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa