new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

JAROSLAW J

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
just heard on radio this morning new law thats preventing unlocking of your phones unless get permision from your carrier, now you know they gonna brick all unlocecked phones with or without your permition

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually I read it and I dont think it says anything specifically about rooting. Also I believe it has more to do with unlocking a phone that is subsidized by your carrier. If you outright own the phone then it is yours to do what you want. I may be wrong though. If rooting is now illegal then consider me a law breaker.

Sent via Tapatalk

JAROSLAW J

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
subsidized or not they dont want you to unlock your phones and get all that free stuff that normaly you would have to pay for it ,its all about the $$$$$$$$ after the new update lots of phone got bricked already and there will be more to come, good luck to us all

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As the one poster mentioned this is concerning the carriers stopping customers from taking a phone and unlocking it so it can be flashed onto another carrier for use. People that have purchased an "unlocked/GSM" phone outright should be immune to this also.

As far as rooting your phone is concerned this doesn't cover that area.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You got to think of your phone in terms of ownership. You think thst when you go to a carrier and sign a contract for 2 years that you own that new phone. But you dont own it. Its basically rent to own. Every month a small amount of your bill goes to pay that phone off. If you unlock a phone and then change carriers you are stealing from the carrier because you didnt pay your phone off first. You dont need to be rooted to unlock. Att will even unlock it for you after you pay it off.

Sent via Tapatalk

JAROSLAW J

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
You got to think of your phone in terms of ownership. You think thst when you go to a carrier and sign a contract for 2 years that you own that new phone. But you dont own it. Its basically rent to own. Every month a small amount of your bill goes to pay that phone off. If you unlock a phone and then change carriers you are stealing from the carrier because you didnt pay your phone off first. You dont need to be rooted to unlock. Att will even unlock it for you after you pay it off.

Sent via Tapatalk
you really belive wthat you saying than u got to be kidding me , u had to pay of the phone one way or another if u want to leave carrier the penalty for leaving what u mention is to pay of that phone, thats only small money compering to what they loosing when people root and unlock their phones to use free hot spots and other stuff u know how much uncharged data is floating away, big bucks, thats way there is no more unlimited data plans so they can make some extra money, its like red light camera or speed cameras on road u think they are for your safety ? NNNNNNNOOOOOO they are there to generate revenue

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
FYI this has nothing to do with rooting or unlocking the boot loader. It is unlocking it the radio to use on other carriers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
you really belive wthat you saying than u got to be kidding me , u had to pay of the phone one way or another if u want to leave carrier the penalty for leaving what u mention is to pay of that phone, thats only small money compering to what they loosing when people root and unlock their phones to use free hot spots and other stuff u know how much uncharged data is floating away, big bucks, thats way there is no more unlimited data plans so they can make some extra money, its like red light camera or speed cameras on road u think they are for your safety ? NNNNNNNOOOOOO they are there to generate revenue

Im not going to argue with you. You seem to be in an argumentative mood based on the way you write. You have your beliefs and I have mine. I will continue to root regardless of the penalty. In this case I believe there are none.

Sent via Tapatalk

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
unlocking bootloader = legal

rooting = legal

unlocking radio = illegal

this has to do with changing the code for the radio

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
unlocking bootloader = legal

rooting = legal

unlocking radio = illegal

this has to do with changing the code for the radio

Thank you. So many people have been giving false and incorrect information. The law is only for the radio, the rooting is still completely legal. Only thing rooting will do is void your warranty but warranties like best buy and square trade will still work with a rooted phone.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It says on gizmodo that jail breaking and rooting will continue to be legal for atleast another 3 years

Sent via Tapatalk

Randy Chapman

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Originally Posted by JAROSLAW J
"you really belive wthat you saying than u got to be kidding me , u had to pay of the phone one way or another if u want to leave carrier the penalty for leaving what u mention is to pay of that phone, thats only small money compering to what they loosing when people root and unlock their phones to use free hot spots and other stuff u know how much uncharged data is floating away, big bucks, thats way there is no more unlimited data plans so they can make some extra money, its like red light camera or speed cameras on road u think they are for your safety ? NNNNNNNOOOOOO they are there to generate revenue"

Run-on much?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez