Likes and Dislikes of Android Pie & One UI so far...

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Niether does altering the Contacts app so that there is no provision for Individual Text messages tones like there is for Individual Ring tones. Something that has existed since Lollipop and for some reason has gone missing in Oreo and now Pie.

There is definitely custom message tones in Oreo/Pie. Go to Messages, select the person who's message you want a tone for, click the 3 dots menu on the upper right corner and toggle "custom notifications" on, pick a message tone and done.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely custom message tones in Oreo/Pie. Go to Messages, select the person who's message you want a tone for, click the 3 dots menu on the upper right corner and toggle "custom notifications" on, pick a message tone and done.

Sigh.... here we go again...

It doesn't work with GROUP messages. Before, you assigned a text tone to the individual though the contacts app, just like you can with the phone ringer tones. So I could assign Tone A for Person A and Tone B for Person B and Tone C for Person C. During a group/team message, when Person A would send a message, I would get Tone A. Person B would add something, and I would get Person B’s Tone.
NOW however, you assign the tone to the THREAD and not the PERSON. There is no individual tones for the PERSON.
The disadvantage is you must SAVE the ENTIRE message thread. If you delete the thread, there goes your customization for that thread/person. The present system/function does NO good for Group conversations which is about 70% of my conversations. I use group messages to communicate with my family. I use to to communicate with my friends. I use it to communicate with my co-workers.
For example. I get messages from my pharmacy from a computer about my prescriptions. I save them as a contact and assigned a quiet, simple beep. I don’t have to save my conversations with a computer. I can tell who it is and know that I can take my time and respond to them later. I've saved my alarm company as a contact and assigned a NASTY tone to them so that I know it's an emergency. My wife and two daughters all have separate tones. During a one-on-one conversation, I know who it is before I check my phone. But say my oldest daughter sends a group message. Before, I knew who it was right then. Now I get my default tone, unless I assign ANOTHER tone to that group and never every delete it.
Yes, I know about the three dots and assigning tones to the THREAD and not to the Person. I would like to have the personalized tones assigned back to the PERSON and Not the Thread. Just like it's been since Lollipop. Assigning the tone to the thread is not like what we had before and I have no idea why they eliminated that function.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Biggest like is battery life. Not a a heavy user, but went from 30-40% at the end of a typical day to 50-60%

chrism8922@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
As I've posted in a couple places, got the update yesterday. I hate the nav bar functionality, the visual look of the whole UI, and the philosophy of moving everything down for one handed use.

I got a big phone because I liked using it the way it was, and I specifically liked the clean look of the settings and notification shades. I hate the bubbly, childish look of the UI.

I dislike it enough that I dug out my receipt to return the Note 9 (didn't work, I'm 5 days past the return window for Best Buy).

chrism8922@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Also, the worst design feature of these Samsung phones is the rounded corners on the screen; I really dislike that they have incorporated that shape throughout the UI. It adds to the claustrophobic feeling of the whole thing.

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
It took me a few days for the new gestures but now that I have been using them I dont think I could go back to buttons.

Gestures are just faster, easier, and more intuitive to use.
LOL. I remember saying that on the blackberry forum when BB10 came out and blackberry was ridiculed for going without buttons

Mikell Czermendy

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Them removing the "list" view from the recent app menu is the ultimate deal breaker for me.

But from what I've read here I'm not missing out on much by not updating. It will be nice not to have to worry about factory resetting my phone because of a software update playing havoc with my battery life.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Them removing the "list" view from the recent app menu is the ultimate deal breaker for me.

But from what I've read here I'm not missing out on much by not updating. It will be nice not to have to worry about factory resetting my phone because of a software update playing havoc with my battery life.

My battery life improved quite a bit after update.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Things I like about pie
Its simplified almost comparable to apple
Bixby re-maping GREAT!
Dark mode is a plus but I dont see a battery increase
Things dont like
Battery drainage c'mon samsaug
App icons too cartoony
It's not as fluid I have to press a button for landscape mode before i didnt have too

1UI is a step in the right direction just need improvements

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Things I like about pie
Its simplified almost comparable to apple
Bixby re-maping GREAT!
Dark mode is a plus but I dont see a battery increase
Things dont like
Battery drainage c'mon samsaug
App icons too cartoony
It's not as fluid I have to press a button for landscape mode before i didnt have too

1UI is a step in the right direction just need improvements
If you're having battery issues you may need to dig deeper to see what's going on. Here is a screen shot of my lazy Sunday.

I love the option to tap the orientation button when turning my phone to landscape mode but you still have the option to unlock orientation in the quick settings menu.

Have you tried the icon packs in the Galaxy store? Screenshot_20190324-215307_Settings.jpeg

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
As I've posted in a couple places, got the update yesterday. I hate the nav bar functionality, the visual look of the whole UI, and the philosophy of moving everything down for one handed use.

I got a big phone because I liked using it the way it was, and I specifically liked the clean look of the settings and notification shades. I hate the bubbly, childish look of the UI.

I dislike it enough that I dug out my receipt to return the Note 9 (didn't work, I'm 5 days past the return window for Best Buy).

With so much customization and functionality people still hate over small things. You guys deserve a locked system. Glad that you returned.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000