Carrier Variants... Not so hot anymore

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am no longer 100% sure I want the Note 2 with the carrier variants confirmed. Support will now be a bigger issue, as will accessories. Lack of support, rather. I am hugely disappointed this isn't going to be like the S3.

This may be a deal breaker for me, nudging me toward the HTC Nexus.

It bites... a royal big one.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
There were also dimensions given, not just the graphic; they were not all the same. If that is not accurate, that's a good thing, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet. Test phones are not always the final product, ya know?

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree.

This is why they are able to get the phone out much quicker to all the US carriers like they did with the SIII.

The SIII was huge win for Samsung how they kept the phone the same and I would be shocked if they didnt do the same for the Note II.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
All phones are going to be the same. The AT&T version is identical to the international, with some bloatware added. They even kept the quad core processor, which is unique. In the past, LTE phones in the States have ditched the quad and gone with a different processor.

So, this time, the carrier varients will be even CLOSER to each other than any other phone launch.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
As stated above they will/should all be the same. It would not make sense for Sammy to make and have all the carriers accept the same GS3 styling and then change back to the way it was last year and make different size Note2s . Not even the First Note changed from Att and Tmoble. The only difference was the home button and i think 1 MM from the Ero model and ATTs.

And if they are different I don't care I'm still getting it on Sprint. BOOOOMMMM! lol

jstone5243

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
i do just want to add that manufacturers including samsung have often changed a phones physical dimensions and shape to suit carrier needs. Just take a look at sprint in particular, both the GS and GS2 were altered for sprint the epic gained a physical keyboard and the e4gt gained a larger screen than the international version. Also sammy is releasing multiple versions of the note 2 across the world many of the markets with/and some without 4g. its just my opinion but from all the info i can gather (and ive been hounding this phone since i first got wind daily) the initial dimensions that were are comparing the sprint published fcc filings is the none 4g one, i can see the addition of the modem make it a mite bit thicker, although i will admit it does seem a bit odd that sammy wouldn't make one chassis and just add/subtract parts is they wernt doing any other radical changes. i have no problem if carriers want to offer slightly different variants of the same phone it might impact what carrier you go to,As long as they arnt neutering functionality as some currently do.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i do just want to add that manufacturers including samsung have often changed a phones physical dimensions and shape to suit carrier needs.....

That was then, this is now. SGS III was a gamechanger... Samsung now has Apple-like powers and i doubt the carriers can dictate as easily as they once could. I believe the tables have turned, what with 100,000 name petitions for the Original Note from Verizon customers, the SGS line taken off like it has, Samsung no longer has to, "cowtow to carrier whimsey", if u will, and thats better for all of us, who always found ourselves lusting after the Int'l variants... :-*

BTC

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
+1 Bossy TX Chick... Samsung I don't think on Flag Ship phones will go back to changing each one for the carriers and the carriers see that people love that the phones are the same and buy them like crazy. I understand the need for different low end to middle end phones for the market. But flag ship phones should all be the same.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yah, nothing was as nutz as when the orig galaxy S line with 4 diff variants & then the SGS II had 3 different variants, from cases to reviewers it was totally out of hand, but hopefully those days are long gone... i can tell you this, to me the Note 2 is perfect in design, the only thing that might improve it would be almost completely bezel-less, edge to edge 6 inch screen, it would stay the same size or maybe a little smaller even, but for now, in every way, this is an Android Dream Come True.

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Only difference I saw on a leaked Verizon image was they had a Verizon logo on the bottom center Home button. All other carrier versions didn't. Hopefully that logo won't still be there in the final version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movefla18