Using the Galaxy Note 2 without a data plan...like a ipod touch or nexus 7 tablet?

blackberrymamba

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about using this as a dummy phone, and just use it as a regular tablet with wifi only :) This way I won't need to spend 240 a year on a data plan. What do you guys think about using this as a tablet/media device like the Google Nexus 7? That way I don't have to get a data plan with it. It will be like a ipod touch I guess except wayyyyyyyyyy better with the google play store and a 64gb micro sd card. It'll also make a great portable gaming device. I suppose I can use it also as a nifty internet phone with the various chat/phone/text options online :

What I like about it is that it can fit in my pocket. Only thing is if I use it this way I'll still have to carry my other phone around with me, lol.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The beauty of the Note is that it truly is an all-in-one device. It appeals to many because instead of paying for a smartphone, tablet, eReader, mp3, and notepad, and worrying about multiple data plans or sharing data between multiple devices, you can have and carry one device that can fill all those uses, and do it very well.

I have been a Note user since the original and I dumped my smartphone, Kindle, and 7 inch tablet for the Note. I now own the Note 2, and the device is even better.

I would recommend you consider getting rid of all the other devices, and make the Note 2 your daily driver for everything. :)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
That's a really expensive extra tablet. You could get a Nexus 7 for half the price (assuming you would be buying the phone off contract). I would just use the Note 2 as your primary phone.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
You can try using a prepaid card for phone only and may not need to get a data plan.
I know many people have done that in the past with iPhones and you may be able to do the same with the note.
Best thing to do is get it unlocked now so that you can have more options with MVNOs.