Durability of the note 2

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I know its a little too early to tell how well the phone will hold up, but what do you guys think? I never broke any of the motorola droids I had..ever..not even scratched the screen. Since launch day I've broke 4 Galaxy nexus's. 3 In the last 5 months. Seems like every time they hit the ground the screens pop. I know the nexus has a curved display, no high end fortified glass etc. Looking at drop tests, it seems a few show the note 2 popping screens from a "normal" drop height. You all think this phone will be a good deal tougher than the nexus, is that a Samsung issue, or are phones in general just not as strong as they used to be?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Apparently you just need a good case. I don't see the note 2 holding up any better than average in drop tests, it's why I got a case pretty much immediately. Make sure it is a case that will absorb impacts.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I know its a little too early to tell how well the phone will hold up, but what do you guys think? I never broke any of the motorola droids I had..ever..not even scratched the screen. Since launch day I've broke 4 Galaxy nexus's. 3 In the last 5 months. Seems like every time they hit the ground the screens pop. I know the nexus has a curved display, no high end fortified glass etc. Looking at drop tests, it seems a few show the note 2 popping screens from a "normal" drop height. You all think this phone will be a good deal tougher than the nexus, is that a Samsung issue, or are phones in general just not as strong as they used to be?

May I ask why you're dropping your phone so much?

Phones are expensive pieces of electronics, and they weren't designed to be dropped. An occasional drop may occur, but it appears you are dropping with some regularity?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
1st one was in an accident. I was hit by a car on my motorcycle. Guy came across a median into my exit ramp and t-boned me. Sounds bad, I know, and I wasn't upset it was broke. Second one I was texting while my father was trying out his first wheelchair using the ramp. The wheelie bars on the back were set to high and it flipped over. I panicked to try and grab him, tossed the phone 3-4 feet onto a lazy boy while I moved towards him. Must have hit the harder part of the chair, like where your hip would be. Cracked the screen. Third one cracked in my pocket, don't know how. Nothing was in it, don't wear stupid tight pants. Just "normal" straight leg jeans. Somehow I stressed it and it popped. Last one was stupidity. Thought I slid it in my pocket, but I really slid the phone AND my button up in my pocket together if that makes sense? Adjusted my shirt cause it felt funny and it pulled the phone out, dropped it from pocket height, and killed the screen.

I hear what you are saying about expensive electronics, I'm usually pretty paranoid about my phones. Just been a few odd situations. I just remember doing much worse to my Droids and never killing the damn things. Hell, one time one of the droids.. maybe d1 or d2, fell out of my old jeep at 45mph, pretty sure it got run over by the rubber on the screen, and the damn thing was fine minus a lot of scratches to the case and a bent battery cover that cost $10. Sounds impossible, I know, but it happened. I'm not looking for something unbreakable, just something that isn't well known of being on the weaker side of the spectrum.

With that said, are there any cases that offer a decent level of drop protection without adding a whole bunch of bulk to the phone?

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I also slightly disagree too. Phones used to be designed to drop. Drop a lot. They are mobile devices, stuff happens. Now a days we are cramming so much into them, and trying to make them so small/profitable, they aren't anymore.

ianmac23

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

My wife dropped hers 3 ft onto concert and the screen shattered

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Ianmac, did she drop a note 2 or were you agreeing on the nexus? Did she have a case on hers? Thanks dude. Thats the kind of info I am looking for. Not that I plan on dropping it, but its a bigger phone, my work is physical and outside, and the last 6 months have been hell on my phones. I was really hoping it was just the nexus being a dev phone, not samsungs in general :(

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
The note 2 is strong, but has 4 weak corners and yes the glass will shatter if you are unlucky. If you broke that many phones, you will undoubtably break the note 2 many times. It may be worse because the phone is very heavy. You need a good case.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Modern smart phones seem to be designed as small as possible so if you want that you are all set. If you want something with some protection you can get any manner of case depending on how much protection you want. When you think about it this really is the best of both worlds.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

These high end phones have gotten more fragile as they have gotten larger. The GN2 and it's huge screen will be as fragile if not more than the GNex.
Most of us should get a case or be very careful.
You should get an Otterbox Defender!:)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Timour Savine

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Dropped my Note 2 yeasterday. It fell from about 2.5 feet high on the natural stone bathroom tiles. Before I dropped it I managed to juggle it in the air to an additional foot while trying to regain grip on it. The phone was inside the cheap flip case.
It hit the tiles with the corner which took the protective case off, then the phone bounced off the tiles lost its battery case and fell face down.
When I dropped the phone it was playing a video, after it landed it was still playing the video.
A day has passed since the accident. Everything seems fine for now. No scratches, cracks in the glass or anything like it.
I can be incredibly clumsy and I have dropped my SGS2 many many times. The SGS2 is still intact and working. Note 2 is much bigger and heavier, but the good part is that when dropped it shutters into three parts. It saves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87