Note II sd card read speeds

punchfacejay

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Dear lucky Note II owners,

How fast does the phone access files on the SD card compared to... say my old Droid X? I have a 32 gig filled almost to capacity and I find the phone gets sluggish browsing through my files. Just wondering what kind of noticeable speed benefit I stand to get once I get my Verizon SNII. Can't wait... :D

Thanks !

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Malkozaine

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends on the class of card. I have a class 10 32gb and it reads it super fast. Checked it and the phone gets about 20mbs read speed. Though I have it formated in exFat so I dont know if that matters.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

punchfacejay

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
AH... OK guys, that explains a lot. I checked my card and its a class 4. I suppose transferring that to the NII won't give me a dramatic increase in speed. Time to start looking at new cards!

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
A class 10 will definately read faster than a class 4.

Think of them like cd-roms, the class numbers are multiples of a base 1x data read speed. With sd cards though, all read speeds are in increments of 2. So you have class 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 (not sure about 8 though, I don't recall ever seeing one myself).

Prices on the class 10 cards can be from 10 to 100 depending on size. I bought a Samsung branded 32gb class 10 for 25 on sale a few months back when I bought my Galaxy s3. I switched it to my note 2 when I traded my s3 in for it, and didn't miss a beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

punchfacejay

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Sweet, just found a Sandisk class 10 64gb for under $40 on Amazon. Looks like others on the NII forums are snatching it up. :thumbup:

What's the best way to format the card before installing it on the Note? Or even after installing it?

TheDroidLurker

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Sweet, just found a Sandisk class 10 64gb for under $40 on Amazon. Looks like others on the NII forums are snatching it up. :thumbup:

What's the best way to format the card before installing it on the Note? Or even after installing it?

Thanks for the heads up! I just went and snagged one for myself. With the free "super saver" shipping, it ought to arrive right about the same time as my GN2. $38.99 total for a class 10, 64 Gb ultra.

Podgorica

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, i just ordered one myself. As i dont have my note 2 yet can you please confirm that i bought the correct card. I ordered sandisk ultra 64gb microsdxc class 10 uhs-1.

wyndslash

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I remember ordering one before from Amazon when they had that gold box deal on micro sd cards, but I don't remember getting super saver shipping:(

Oooh never mind. I paid sales tax lol

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

scaramouch1

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Got a Samsung 8gb class 10 micro SD card a while ago put it in my s2 pressed reformat all worked ok a few months later after lots of saving songs + pics + lots of deleting my phone said write speed not working on micro SD card
so the card didn't work at all

So I pressed reformat card a few times write speed working ok again problem solved

I've got s3 now with sandisk ultra 32gb class 10 UHS-1

I put this card in my phone and pressed reformat card not had any problems with this card yet and my Samsung 8gb card still works ok

GT-I9300 quad :cool:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a sandisk class 10 uhs 64gb from amazon as well. Ive had it since november. No problems thus far. For best result you should just put it in the phone and let the device format it. Im not sure what it formats it to but ive never had a file not read from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2