Sudden, mysterious cracks?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I am currently about to upgrade my phone. I've been looking at the galaxy S3 for a while now, and im constantly going through forums for updates and new information. I was going to purchase the S3 tonight, as samsung is having a fifty dollar off sale on its website. However, while perusing the forums just now, I found some complaints about people's Galaxy S3s developing cracks out of the blue. One minute it will be fine, the next, a spiderweb crack. The people who have had this happen to them have done no damage to the phone themselves. Literally one money it will be perfect, and they will set it down, come back, and it will be cracked.

I've seen people say that it could be due to a number of reasons, including heat. These people have tried talking with Verizon, but Verizon expects them to pay anywhere from 200-600. My main point is, although the verizon note 2 hasn't been released yet, for those with any note 2, (because these cracks have appeared in galaxy S3s on all carriers) has this happened to you? Only a small percentage of people with S3s are having this happen to them, but nevertheless, samsung and verizon are refusing to replace them. I really dont want to become one of these unlucky people, and now I am thinking of the note 2. It has been my "backup" phone, I'm just hesitant about the size and price.

Anyways, just wondering if people have had mysterious cracks develop.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to Hijack but where are you seeing 50 off the note when it is in your checkout??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
It's $50 off the S3, sorry if it was unclear in my original post. I'll edit it now.

Thx and I had an s3 I wouldn't worry about the cracks I had a slight scratch but nothing other than that throw a protector on it and your good to go

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The thing is that for every person who actually had a mysterious crack on the screen, 10 other people who dropped their phone would say that ..yeah their screens were cracked "mysteriously" and hoping to get free replacements!

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Not a Verizon user, but I did own the GS III and now own a Note II. Never got any cracks, but the GS III got hot, real hot, real often. I have installed virtually all the same apps on the Note II. use the same auto charger, etc and this phone remains cool to the touch. with a larger battery I would expect it to get hotter when charging or discharging, but maybe the larger phone offers some thermal wicking. I have a lot of friends and coworkers with the GS III, and none have cracks from the heat (some do from dropping them), but they all seem to get hot like mine did.

Dark SSide

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I probably use more data in a month than most use in a year. So needless to say my phone gets hot often, yet no adverse effects for well over 500GBs ran through this phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy S3 is still beautiful! Using Seidio Surface.
Operates well, except minor problems due to water. Who knew you couldn't take a phone swimming in the ocean!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa