Bad Sd card headaches

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I am having bad 64Gb SD card problems with a stock GN2. All have been purchased from Amazon.com. First, a Sandisk went bad after 9 months, I then had a fake ADATA. I now have a less than week old Kingston that just started doing the dismount thing. After a reboot it's ok. I am getting a replacement Sandisk but I am at a loss as to what SD card I can really trust. Anybody else having SD card issues? I am guessing that this may be a Samsung GN2 issue so I am posting here. What SD cards have worked the best? Is there something special that needs to be done to prep an SD card for Samsung? Thnks.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I am having bad 64Gb SD card problems with a stock GN2. All have been purchased from Amazon.com. First, a Sandisk went bad after 9 months, I then had a fake ADATA. I now have a less than week old Kingston that just started doing the dismount thing. After a reboot it's ok. I am getting a replacement Sandisk but I am at a loss as to what SD card I can really trust. Anybody else having SD card issues? I am guessing that this may be a Samsung GN2 issue so I am posting here. What SD cards have worked the best? Is there something special that needs to be done to prep an SD card for Samsung? Thnks.

You guys are so funny. Ive had my phone since launch with an sandisk from amazon. The sd card issue you speak of is just how this phone does it. If your sd card works, and able to both read and write data the the card is fine. Stop trying to fix what aint broke.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I had issues with a no name 32gb card. I now have a SanDisk 64gb no problems at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mobile Nations mobile app

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I just had my second "unmounted sd card" issue with my new Kingston. Had to reboot. Very annoying. My replacement Sandisk is on the way. Amazon and ADATA verified that my bad ADATA card was a fake. I got my refund. Buyer beware. I don't undertand jdub's post. SanDisk verified the bad card and they had to modify their cards for Android 4.1+. My bad Sandisk was purchased 1/2013 before the fix.

edap617

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Samsung 32 gb micto sd card on my note 2. Got my Note 2 and Samsung sd card at the same time last dec 5, 2012. No problem encountered as at present.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
all card manufacturer's have bad cards.
I use sandisk for all my professional photography and they have gone bad at times.
How are you formatting the card?
Have you reset your device?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I just had my second "unmounted sd card" issue with my new Kingston. Had to reboot. Very annoying. My replacement Sandisk is on the way. Amazon and ADATA verified that my bad ADATA card was a fake. I got my refund. Buyer beware. I don't undertand jdub's post. SanDisk verified the bad card and they had to modify their cards for Android 4.1+. My bad Sandisk was purchased 1/2013 before the fix.

What fix do you speak of? Ive had my phone and 64gb sandisk extreme uhs10 sd card since Nov 2012 when this phone came out. The phone is fine and the card is fine. No fix is needed cuz there is no problem.

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Jdub. Google it. Both Sandisk and Kingston have posted notices about Android 4.n.n issues. I found more than a few in the amazon.com comments section. By the way, my Sandisk was failing months before I lost photos. I just thought it was an app error. Some app videos were not properly recorded and then some of my music playlists were messed up. Maybe ur just lucky or are not yet rocking android 4.1.n or higher.

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I too have the SanDisk 64gb SDXC card with no problems either. I have done some research and I cannot find where Samsung says what SD cards the Note 2 or others support. I say this because not every device can support SDXC. These cards have a special secure area that cannot be touched or formatted. If a device does not support this format, then it can potentially write over this area. Doing so corrupts the card. Much like writing to sector 0 of a hard drive. Everyone is saying that the card must be formatted in exFat. That is true, but if our phones cannot format a card in this format, then it stands to reason that it doesn't support the SDXC format. See where I am going with this. I used the old SD card philosophy that when you get a card you format it in the device in which you are going to use it. That is what I did with my wife's SIII and my Note II. Neither of us have had any issues with our cards and we have had them since January 2013.

Sent from my Samsung Note II using Android Central Forums

aamaaeg

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I too have the SanDisk 64gb SDXC card with no problems either. I have done some research and I cannot find where Samsung says what SD cards the Note 2 or others support. I say this because not every device can support SDXC. These cards have a special secure area that cannot be touched or formatted. If a device does not support this format, then it can potentially write over this area. Doing so corrupts the card. Much like writing to sector 0 of a hard drive. Everyone is saying that the card must be formatted in exFat. That is true, but if our phones cannot format a card in this format, then it stands to reason that it doesn't support the SDXC format. See where I am going with this. I used the old SD card philosophy that when you get a card you format it in the device in which you are going to use it. That is what I did with my wife's SIII and my Note II. Neither of us have had any issues with our cards and we have had them since January 2013.

I've got the 64gb SanDisk which is nice but have two issues due to the exfat formatting
1stc it doesn't manage right-to-left language properly neither read not write
2nd it transformed my phone status into Modified
But issues disappeared when I reformatted the car in Fat32

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
That is what I mean. I don't think our phones can handle the exfat format. So you need a SDXC card to get 64gb, but format it in the phone first and you may be OK. At least I have never had any SD card issues, ever for any device by following the old recommendation to format them in the device in which you will use it.

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Jeff1000: thanks for heads up on the formatting. I formatted the kingston card in my samsung gs2 and it seems to be working again. I will update this board on how it works. Looks promisong thus far. I actually spoke to kingston tech support and he told me about the sequential read/write issues with android. SD cards apparently have a limited number of "writes" in them (not unlike SSD's). SD cards require random writes to last longer. Regardless, I am going to just store music and work critical docs on the SD card going forward to minimize my writes/rewrites. No more dash cam writing to the SD card. I guess I am glad now that the GN2 Android 4.1.n does not allow me to install apps to the sd card... Time for Samsung to put 64 to 128Gb internal memory on their GN2/3...

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
So you guys have been attempting to format your sd cards outside of the phone instead of using the stupid simple format option in settings? Also, when you say mounting issue are your referring to how it says "Preparing SD card" at the top sometimes when turning the screen on or after a reboot?

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Jdub: Sandisk and Kingston instruct that their SD cards are ready out of the box. Sandisk was fine until the 4.1.2 update in September. When you have over 40Gb of data on the card, you do not reformat at the drop of the hat. You hope the dismount errors stop. Sandisk and Kingston need to openly address the sequential write issue in Android 4.1.2+ and it's detrimental impact on SD card life. Kingston tech support advises against app installs on the sd card with write/rewrite intensive apps. Very disappointing but I can still use 64Gb for static storage. I am guessing that real 64Gb cards will start pricing out at $30 shortly so I will start caring less when they die on me. I will just improve my cloud/card/HD backup protocol. BTW, I believe the purpose of this forum is to provide helpful tips like Jeffrey10000 and the other contributors and not just post to say that you don't have problems and that we do not know what we are doing.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Im cornfusaled. Have you actually experience and specific problem such as the ability to read and write from said sd card? I do not believe you have mentioned this. On the topic of kingston and sandisk well damn this is just not true about being ready out of the box. Maybe if they were to be used in a camera but afaik samsung has always used exfat. Btw we have been on 4.1.2 since december 2012 not Sept. That update was for radios and other carrier specific stuff. Nothing that effects sd card.

Here is my sd card incl. Date of purchase. No "fix" needed. Clearly multiple people have pointed out that you need to format the sdcard in the phone before use. Even the note 2 manual states this. If you havent done this then you clearly dont know what you are doing. If this phone had problems with sd cards the forums would be inundated with questions and since that is not the case it must be you.

Im not saying that a card cant go bad but to have multiple different cards experiencing this issue maybe the problem is you arent doing something correctly.

semanene.jpg

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Btw kingston doesnt know squat since the ability to do app installs has been removed natively from jellybean.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
SanDisk 64gb u1
Never a problem

Fat32 on stock kernel
Fat32 on saber kernel
Fat32 or exfat on bullet kernel

Known working, never an error
365 days and running.

Cwm will read exfat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk HD

Jayphil

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I didnt realise such issues could occur as i have never had a SD or micro SD go corrupt on me... until now. And unfortunately it happened during a european trip; so i was limited to using the internal memory of my Note 2.

My Sandisk 64gig ultra micro sdxc is the culprit here :S

I can't save on it or format it via phone, pc, mac or even via dslr camera. Am i better of getting a high quality brand new micro sd that supports a SG Note 2?

srry total nub here.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have same card
No issues

Try reformating using partition magiv or equivalent.

Try reformatting using an Ubuntu bootable cd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer