Unlocking the Note 3

Geeoff

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I am with Fido and I'm quite happy with my plan. However, I'd really like the Note 3. So I'm planning on buying one from Rogers or Wind and getting it unlocked.

Has anyone unlocked a Canadian Note 3 to use on a different carrier? Any tips or tricks for this? I assume it should be easy to do, but I'm having a hard time finding good information on it.

My impression is that I won't get any more updates once I unlock the device and switch carriers, but I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Apocalypso

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought my Note 3 from Telus' online store and I'm with Koodo. Ring that Koodo operates on the same network as it's bigger brother Telus, unlocking it was unnecessary. If decide to buy your phone from Rogers, you won't have to unlock your phone either, since Fino runs on Rogers' network. You will if you chose to buy from any other carrier.

As for unlocking providers, there are a plethora of them on the Internet. Don't bother with trying to get the carrier you buy your phone from to do it as their prices will be much higher.

Posted via Android Central App

Geeoff

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Note 3 from Rogers, walked straight to a Fido store, put their SIM into it, and it works perfect! So this confirms that no un-locking needed if you buy at Rogers to use on Fido.

tester2013

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Note 3 from a store which was initially locked to Bell out of the box. But they unlocked it on the spot and when I came home I got the updates right away. I am on Fido. Tested my phone to work with Wind.

t9rfbb

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
When I was talking with Samsung customer service this evening I was informed that it is possible to buy a factory unlocked note 3 in Canada. Apparently a dealer in Burnaby is selling them. Unfortunately, I did not bother to ask for contact info at the time, nor do I know what the price is. I suppose if one wanted to contact Samsung they would supply the info.

Wish I knew about this before I bought my note 3 from Mobilicity.

Jim D3

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
do you have any issues at all with the note 3 on the koodoo network? phone call quality, data, anything? Im thinking of picking up an unlocked note 3 for my koodoo service...im wondering why koodoo doesn't already sell them?

Can you email me back at jimduffenais@gmail.com to let me know how your note 3 is doing on our network please..Thanks

Jim

Count Chokula

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I used my unlocked Note 3 on the Koodo network about a year and a half ago without any issues. Koodo worked very well for me. The only reason I switched was because I found a better deal with a different provider (I'm with Fido now).

As for Koodo not selling them, that phone is almost 3 years old now since it came out. That's fairly old by tech standards imo, and might serve to explain why Koodo is not selling them at this point.