50 GB Free Dropbox Storage

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The challenge in the past with Verizon has been participation in promo's like DropBox 50GB storage. I hope we get it, it would be nice to actually see Verizon do something pro-consumer for once.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon and ATT have never offered this. The app must be preinstalled for this to work and they simply do not install the app on their device out of the box. Or at least have not in the past. I have had every Galaxy phone offered on att and have never got the dropbox promotion. My wife did on her t mobile S3.

lee_michael_f92

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It's most likely the same way as with the free Google Drive storage on Chromebooks. You have access to read the information stored after the free amount, but to download or alter that information, you'll have to renew the storage for another month to remove that stuff. Not a big deal.

Yes. Exactly.

Sent from where the wild things are.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Verizon wants you to use their crappy backup app that has 500MB free then they charge for bigger online storage. Does Verizon actually think I would trust them with my data are they nuts!

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon wants you to use their crappy backup app that has 500MB free then they charge for bigger online storage. Does Verizon actually think I would trust them with my data are they nuts!

And who in the world only has 500MB of data to store online??!!? Come on now VZ. Throw us a bone here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
No one that I know of, and I never use the free stuff they offer and I would never pay for their online storage either.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just install jellybeans rom on yer note 2. comes with 50g db storage. problem solved:D:beer:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I got at&t locker 50gb for free.

I signed up for a free basic account, then I clicked the upgrade button just for curiosity and got free upgrade to 50gb, surprised!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380230895533.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380230895533.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 21

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well Verizon got fined $1.25 million for blocking 3rd party tethering apps from the play store but it took a year to do it. As for DropBox Verizon isn't blocking it from being installed, they are removing it from being pre-loaded (or at least we think they are since we don't have a Verizon one yet) and if they did remove it then we don't qualify for the 50GB for free.

Now I am not too concerned since I am getting the GN10.1 2014 Edition with does include 50GB FREE on DropBox so I will be set anyways.

middlenamefrank

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Dropbox is pathetically slow, small and they're always pinging you trying to get you to buy more space. I abandoned their "service" long ago in favor of Synology's "CloudStation" server. Granted, you have to have a Synology network drive, but just the CloudStation service alone is pretty much worth the price of admission to me. It's free, speeds are limited only by your connection speed, and size is limited only by your drive size.

I have my CloudStation directory sync'ed with my work computer, my work laptop and my home computer. It's also accessible via Android app. I can work on schematic or code generation all day, go down into the lab and the laptop is already up to speed, go home and write some code there, and never have to think about what's up to date on which machine. I can grab my phone and view any of the above anywhere I have cell phone coverage. It's extremely fast, unlimited in size and it's better than VPN because I don't actually need a connection -- I can go in field with the work laptop and everything's already on the local drive, and will re-sync as soon as it has a connection. It's also safer in that it makes copies of everything on every machine -- a hard drive crash is pretty trivial to recover from.

Hasn't somebody made a shareware equivalent yet that operates from a computer rather than a network drive? If not, why not?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am looking into maybe getting a Synology NAS next year for home storage and Media content and having my own built into cloud access would be very appealing.