Do you use the stock text app.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I use textra. I feel the stock app like every other phone is horrible. Granted you lose the rejection message function but you gain better handling of mms and more function from the pop up notification bar by being able to respond from it with out leaving the app you are in. What do you guys use?

Posted via My Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use ChompSMS. It was made by the people who made textra.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i use handcent, but thought id give the stock app another roll since the drag and drop of pics seems like a nice feature....

hypokondriak

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I hate the icon of the stock app so much. Didn't anyone at Samsung stop and think "wow this looks awfully close to an email icon.". Dumbest icon ever.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
At the moment, yes. On my previous phone, I used Handcent or something (I forget) for a while, until I started running out of memory and had to start uninstalling apps. Things that had built-in apps, like for text messaging, were some of the first to go. For now, at least, I'm going with "if it's pre-installed and does what I want, why add something else?" Memory isn't a problem now, so I might try something else later, but I'll probably stick with stock. I don't text message so much that I need advanced features beyond what I'm seeing the stock app can do.

ryanjma

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the stock for now. I've used Textra on my S4, and it is my favorite just because it is the fastest. I might switch to Chomp when I get bored of the stock one just to try it out. GO offers the most customization IMO, but it is the slowest.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Still using stock. It does what I need it to. Only thing I don't like is the white background in conversation view. I may try something else eventually but for now it does the job.

Posted via Android Central App

mooread

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Still using stock. It does what I need it to. Only thing I don't like is the white background in conversation view. I may try something else eventually but for now it does the job.

You can change that is settings.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
In regards to chomp I was under the impression it wasn't as good as textra being textra is considered the improved text app from the same company. From what I've seen with chomp it's more customizable but not as good. That's just my opinion from using both. Also the only thing I don't like is with a lock screen with no security textra won't open to the app unless you unlock the phone. But full emoji support is nice. When it comes to the stock features besides call rejection. Every other features to me is a gimmick.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Also wondering if you guys disable the stock app fully or leave it running the background so you can keep certain features like call rejection messages on the incoming call screen.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I use the stock app. I don't want to answer my messages, see my messages or do anything with my messages unless I open the app. Seeing the led light to tell me there is a message there,, nothing more, is how I have it set and is all I need. No pop ups no nothing.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, the default messaging appears to contain "Emergency alert" settings under Settings, More. I don't know how or if disabling the messaging app will affect these alerts, but if you want to get those alerts, you might be better off not disabling the app. Perhaps someone more familiar with the system than me can provide more info though.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I use the stock app, don't mind it too much, and it is the ONLY app that works with the Gear.

If I get the Gear then I'll use the stock app. But until then the stock app just is too ugly and I don't know if you guys realize text your self as a test it's much slower sending and receiving than at least textra.