.mkv audio support

emiinn

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The stock video app doesn't support audio codec for .mkv files..
Any way to "install" or make the audio work on the stock video app?

Otherwise I'm thinking of installing VLC, because it supports many extensions and audio codecs. But I kinda liked the stock video app

Last edited:

shaw1234

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
.mkv is just a container file and doesn't necessarily mean a specific codec. You probably are trying to play audio encoded as AC3. If that is the case, it isn't supported for legal reasons. Blame the lawyers. You might be able to find an old .apk for something like MX player which supports it. I think the new versions have it stripped as well, but if you Google it, there was a way to "side load" the codec into MX player. I don't think you can add codecs to the stock video player. Hope that helps.

Posted via Android Central App

emiinn

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
.mkv is just a container file and doesn't necessarily mean a specific codec. You probably are trying to play audio encoded as AC3. If that is the case, it isn't supported for legal reasons. Blame the lawyers. You might be able to find an old .apk for something like MX player which supports it. I think the new versions have it stripped as well, but if you Google it, there was a way to "side load" the codec into MX player. I don't think you can add codecs to the stock video player. Hope that helps.

Has VLC player the ability to play .mkv with this audio codec?

emiinn

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
As MKV is not a default format for Galaxy Note 3, what you can do is to find a third-party video player to installed and try to get a files played. Some DTS encoded MKV files are not supported well yet with a 3rd party video player app. An alternative method is to convert MKV to Galaxy Note 3 playable format .i.e H.264 MP4. So that you can play MKV files on Galaxy Note 3 with the stock video app without the audio issues.

Cherry I'm using mxplayer it plays MKV on the s/with but I noticed when I switch to s/w from h/w the quality goes down a bit but doesn't matter

Anyway thanks