Voice commands for contacts with unusual names

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My partner's name is not "anglo" and I have not worked out a way to pronounce it and have it understood. Are there work-arounds for this?

1. Can I get the phone to pronounce the name so that I can try to use the same tortured pronunciation?
  2. Is there a way to set a simpler "nick name" for a contact that can be better understood?
  3. On my device, can Google Now do the same thing instead of S-Voice I.e. "Call partner_name/nickname" and would it be any better?

Rob
:)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1) Yes, you can. On the Voice settings there's a "Test Mode" where you can input text and have the phone read it out to you. Also, you could try typing in (instead of speaking) "Search for PARTNERNAME" and it will reply with voice with something like "Searching the web for PARTNERNAME".
2)Changing the contact name is the only thing that springs to mind right now. I know that there used to be a "Nickname" field before, but don't know if it's still there or if it will affect where the system looks for the name.
3)Yup, it can. As if it will be better or not, that's debatable. You'd have to try it out and decide yourself.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My partner's name is not "anglo" and I have not worked out a way to pronounce it and have it understood. Are there work-arounds for this?

1. Can I get the phone to pronounce the name so that I can try to use the same tortured pronunciation?
  2. Is there a way to set a simpler "nick name" for a contact that can be better understood?
  3. On my device, can Google Now do the same thing instead of S-Voice I.e. "Call partner_name/nickname" and would it be any better?

Rob

there are 2 ways i've found. there is a field in contacts for phoenetic spellings. you can also type "wifey" or something under the nickname field and call by that. so for example i say "call my wife" "call my mother" etc. the only inconvience is that it will confirm it before it calls.

i would try the phoentic field first, and have it read it back to make sure you got it right, it takes a little playing if its a weird name.

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Spook!

1) Yes, you can. On the Voice settings there's a "Test Mode" where you can input text and have the phone read it out to you. Also, you could try typing in (instead of speaking) "Search for PARTNERNAME" and it will reply with voice with something like "Searching the web for PARTNERNAME".

Where do I find this Test Mode? It might be too late at night for me, but I just can't find it..

On android.stackexchange.com I got a very similar answer - I installed a TTS app to get this done and found how to pronounce her name. It worked, even though I felt ashamed saying it.

2)Changing the contact name is the only thing that springs to mind right now. I know that there used to be a "Nickname" field before, but don't know if it's still there or if it will affect where the system looks for the name.

Thinking about this as Gator352 suggested too.. but I just don't want to change the name! That would be a desperate last resort. Although, thinking about how terrible the accepted pronunciation was, I will think harder about this in the weeks and months to come.

3)Yup, it can. As if it will be better or not, that's debatable. You'd have to try it out and decide yourself.

Initial test: it was even worse..

Rob

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, can't find that anymore either haha I guess it was removed, it used to be under Text-To-Speech settings; now there's only a "Listen to an Example" but the phrase there is set, you can't change it.

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
icnmayhem, this is a good suggestion too. It helps. Set a phonetic name: Tip: Add A Phonetic Name To Contacts Voice Recognition Just Can't Get Right

I have spent the last two hours trying to create a phonetic name that reproduces the correct pronunciation and am about to throw my brand new phone through the window. But at least I have options..

Set a simple phonetic nick name or contort my vooooowells unteeel aye canne pro-nunse-ee-yate her name.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
the other idea is add a nickname of "call my partner/wife/girlfriend" etc. the nickname has to literally be "my wife."

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, next annoying thing: I have given a unique name as the phonetic name - no one else has that name anywhere in their records, and S Voice recognises the name.. but brings up the four contacts in my address book with her surname, so I still have to choose.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non