Samsung Galaxy - Cracked Screen Defect, not dropped, Note 3 & Note 2, S4 & S3

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
As someone who is looking to get a GN3 this thread is kind of worrying. Did a count and out of the 196 posts, about 11 different people actually posted pictures of the issue.

Tbh it is probably a minority.... I just wouldn't be paranoid about it and buy the phone. More people are happy with their phones then on here or anywhere else complaining about this issue. Also if you pay with a credit card that should cover it ( discover, Amex, and some Mastercard and visa) even if Samsung won't in the first 90 days which seems like where this problem will occur.

Sent from my SM-N900T

Nfluencedaworld

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Counted again 12 people. Although 2 of those people's phones just don't look like they have any damage as far as the pictures show. Not calling anyone a liar, it just seems like a lot of the people complaining didn't show any pictures to back up the issue, and literally everybody with an issue was a new member when they posted, some of them haven't even posted since their first time.

Yes please everyone please take pictures of your phone for documentation. And keep records of you calling Samsung and your cellphone providers. I really do dislike the face they still are not covering it. Telling people you must have dropped it like there products is perfect. I don't have a problem with Samsung just a problem with there customer service. They make billions and can't help people who are asking them to back there products. That is not good business.

Posted via Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes please everyone please take pictures of your phone for documentation. And keep records of you calling Samsung and your cellphone providers. I really do dislike the face they still are not covering it. Telling people you must have dropped it like there products is perfect. I don't have a problem with Samsung just a problem with there customer service. They make billions and can't help people who are asking them to back there products. That is not good business.

Posted via Android Central App

Why can't they just offer something like HTC does and fix the screen within the first 6 months of owning the device ... It probably wouldn't hurt their bottom line to do something similar

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Recently, mine is doing the same. Went from a small dash to a 2 inch line that has certain parts spreading out. The bad part is that I thought I had insurance and come to find out I didn't. I guess that's the joy of being under someone else's bill for a long time and just handing money over when the bill is due and not looking at the details.

Guess I will have to go through the troubles of contacting Samsung and hoping it gets resolved. I didn't plan on buying another phone so soon.

SamsungUnhappy

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Samsung S3 Note from Priceangels.com. I've had it a couple of months and now the screen is cracked.

This is depressing. I wouldn't have bought such an expensive phone at all, except that HSBC insists on sending me tokens related to my bank account via a SmartPhone. So, I bought this Samsung.

Apparently there are quite a lot of people who have bought this phone and had the screen crack for no apparent reason or no good reason.

I've sent a photograph and a video of the phone to Priceangels.com and I'm waiting to see what they'll say.

Shayne Messina

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes I too have the same issue with the Galaxy Note 3- a hairline crack on not one but 2 of the new phones that we just purchased from Sprint and just like you- NO HELP WHAT SO EVER FROM SPRINT! They will not take back the phones ( even though they are brand new ) and referred me to Assurion ( the insurance company ) after learning from Assuiron that each phone has a deductible of $ 200- with the cost of the phones at $ 349 each- I'm now out $ 549- for each phone- finally after 2 weeks of arguring with Sprint- and talking to many different people - some nice lady gave me the Samsung number- I called them- they will take back the phones and sent me prepaid labels- to return them - they will check them out and see what has caused the breakage- ( NOT FROM DROPPAGE ) and handle what needs to be done! Either its replace or repair the phones-- and I told Sprint- I refuse to pay for defective equipment-- they have deffered the payment of the devices until we get determination from Samsung! Call Samsung- they are aware there is an issue- maybe this will help-- SPRINT IS USELESS!!! Can't wait to change company's - have been with them since 1998!!!:-\

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes I too have the same issue with the Galaxy Note 3- a hairline crack on not one but 2 of the new phones that we just purchased from Sprint and just like you- NO HELP WHAT SO EVER FROM SPRINT! They will not take back the phones ( even though they are brand new ) and referred me to Assurion ( the insurance company ) after learning from Assuiron that each phone has a deductible of $ 200- with the cost of the phones at $ 349 each- I'm now out $ 549- for each phone- finally after 2 weeks of arguring with Sprint- and talking to many different people - some nice lady gave me the Samsung number- I called them- they will take back the phones and sent me prepaid labels- to return them - they will check them out and see what has caused the breakage- ( NOT FROM DROPPAGE ) and handle what needs to be done! Either its replace or repair the phones-- and I told Sprint- I refuse to pay for defective equipment-- they have deffered the payment of the devices until we get determination from Samsung! Call Samsung- they are aware there is an issue- maybe this will help-- SPRINT IS USELESS!!! Can't wait to change company's - have been with them since 1998!!!:-\

put picture of your phone in here b4 you send it...

GalaxyCracks

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I just had this same problem that so many people have described. I put the phone in my pocket, took it out a few minutes later, and it would not turn on. Shortly thereafter, a crack appeared underneath the glass, and over the next couple of hours, spread and spidered.

The screen cracked under normal use. This should be covered under warranty, yet their reps falsely assert that "physical damage" is not covered, even though the warranty states no such thing. Samsung refuses to stand behind their product. I spoke with a corporate rep who in one sentence said they repair 1700 devices a day at their facility and in the next sentence preposterously claimed that screen cracking is not a known issue with the Galaxy S4.

Since they refuse to acknowledge the issue, I have started a Twitter account called @GalaxyCracks to raise awareness. If you use Twitter, please share your stories with a mention, and retweet. Also, mention @SamsungSupport and @SamsungMobileUS. Maybe use #TheNextBigThing hashtag that they're spending billions of dollars to market (too bad they won't spend the money to honor their warranty!)

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Once again. Three new members all created in the last 3 days, one of them with a pretty troll name, and none of them posted pictures. :-!

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
As much as this thread has put me off of buying a Note 3 I think I'm still going to get one now. I always buy Squaretrade anyway so worst case they'll fix it, but the big ticker for me was somebody mentioned that I Google search this exact issue to another phone and sure enough there are TONS of different forums with different threads talking about "Cracked" Iphones/HTC Ones, etc supposedly without having been dropped.
Coincidentally a lot of the posters in those threads were level 1, had never posted before, and didn't show pictures.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I didn't read every single post but there is an issue here, and I like Alain A and the OP. Most cases here seem genuine.
The overall percentage of faulty units must be low, but the real issue as you will have seen was the lack of warranty cover and accountability by Samsung.
You have done more research and its interesting. Recent posters have been new.

Go ahead and enjoy the Note 3, most here do. If Squaretrade have great cs all the better.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the Note 3 for about 4 months I think and I never had a problem with it rather than the email not coming too fast..there was a certain delay. For some the delay is fine for me not so much when I have to rely on it.
So anyway got BB Z 30 and a Lumia phone.
After all it depends what you use the phone for.
I don't know if I said something about it but there is one thread on BB site that a guy seen his Z 30 cracked before his eyes... it seems that there are more of that problem on the Samsung side.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy - Cracked Screen Defect, not dropped, Note 3 & Note 2, S4 & S3

As much as this thread has put me off of buying a Note 3 I think I'm still going to get one now. I always buy Squaretrade anyway so worst case they'll fix it, but the big ticker for me was somebody mentioned that I Google search this exact issue to another phone and sure enough there are TONS of different forums with different threads talking about "Cracked" Iphones/HTC Ones, etc supposedly without having been dropped.
Coincidentally a lot of the posters in those threads were level 1, had never posted before, and didn't show pictures.

I would just go ahead and buy it TBH ... Just make sure the phone purchase is on a credit card that has purchase protection which will mean your Credit card provider will pay for the repair instead of out of your pocket. Honestly if this is going to happen it would likely happen within the first 90 days no?

- - - Updated - - -

Not calling you a liar or anything but that bottom right corner looks like it has a big dent into it. Sure you didn't drop it?

To be fair I dropped my S3 and it had a similar dent like that but on the bottom and could easily been a separate incident

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy - Cracked Screen Defect, not dropped, Note 3 & Note 2, S4 & S3

I would just go ahead and buy it TBH ... Just make sure the phone purchase is on a credit card that has purchase protection which will mean your Credit card provider will pay for the repair instead of out of your pocket. Honestly if this is going to happen it would likely happen within the first 90 days no?

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair I dropped my S3 and it had a similar dent like that but on the bottom and could easily been a separate incident
But if he dropped it that could have caused the screen damage. I've also heard of several cases where somebody drops the phone and doesn't see screen damage, and then the next day they wake up and find the screen is cracked. I can't remember what was said in the thread discussing it but I believe it had something to do with the temperature changing the glass as a reaction to the drop.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

But if he dropped it that could have caused the screen damage. I've also heard of several cases where somebody drops the phone and doesn't see screen damage, and then the next day they wake up and find the screen is cracked. I can't remember what was said in the thread discussing it but I believe it had something to do with the temperature changing the glass as a reaction to the drop.

I have dropped phones where it could of easily cracked the screen but didn't. I am not going to assume it is or isn't the cause but just saying it is a possibility that dent was there before the screen cracked

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I would think it would be pretty hard to prove a phone wasn't dropped or accidentally damaged in another way by a user.

Deb from my Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress