Samsung Galaxy - Cracked Screen Defect, not dropped, Note 3 & Note 2, S4 & S3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
There was a similar campaign in the UK apparently about the Sony Z or Z1. I only know because there was a 10 minute report on a 1 hour consumer program, BBC Watchdog in the last 2 weeks. Sony had been refusing to accept responsibility. Unusually instead of issuing a statement, or offering a representative, at the last minute they relented and the program was able to announce all affected customers would be looked after.

Edie Rees

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I put my new Otterbox defender on my new GS3 phone before I left the store, it was never dropped (as evidenced by inspection of the outside of the phone by the store) and the glass cracked within 2 days!

The store and my carrier won't do anything about it so now I'm in the process of reporting it to Samsung. The problem with this method is the issue can be contained 'in-house'. These companies can just ignore you!

I plan to HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS - THEIR BOTTOM LINE!
I'll be CONTACTING THE MEDIA, especially internet sites that rate and report on the GS3. The stores, providers and even Samsung can't completely control what's reported and sales decline. I've seen endless issues get resolved almost immediately after someone's story hits the news. The more stories reported, the faster the resolution.

I'll let you know what happens.

lolafilana

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a Galaxy S4 through Costco 9 days ago. I immediately put in in a case and have not dropped, stepped on, sat on, thrown, or anything that would slightly damage the phone. A crack appeared 2 days ago out of nowhere that goes from the home button up to the left side of the screen. I have gotten nowhere with Costco or TMobile. I will be sending to Samsung for an evaluation and I am sure they will claim that I am to blame. If there is a class action suit, I will be happy to join. I have attached a picture and if needed can provide any documentation.
DSCI0447.JPG

Last edited:

lolafilana

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy - Cracked Screen Defect, not dropped, Note 3 & Note 2, S4 & S3

Thank you. I used my debit card and financed the rest through TMobile. I'm pretty screwed. Just mailed it off today to Samsung. I will now be without a phone for almost 2 weeks. Sucks that I have to run around for something that is completely not my fault.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy - Cracked Screen Defect, not dropped, Note 3 & Note 2, S4 & S3

Thank you. I used my debit card and financed the rest through TMobile. I'm pretty screwed. Just mailed it off today to Samsung. I will now be without a phone for almost 2 weeks. Sucks that I have to run around for something that is completely not my fault.
Personally since most credit cards from major banks like Amex, discover, chase, citi and etc have stuff like extended warranties and damage lost protection for 99 days you should always use a credit card if you have one

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Personally since most credit cards from major banks like Amex, discover, chase, citi and etc have stuff like extended warranties and damage lost protection for 99 days you should always use a credit card if you have one

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I always use amex or similar especially for electronic purchases. You never know when it can be damaged or stolen. The extra year extension on warranty is nice too

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Hermde

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I've been looking through this thread a bit, and it seems like a good amount of people are having the same issue as I am. My Samsung Note 3 screen stopped working completely today. It happened in the morning when I took it off of the charger, brought it in my car and left. It was in my car for about 15 minutes total, until I got where I was going. I then took it out and tried clicking it on by the power button, and nothing was happening. I thought maybe it froze, so i tried holding down the power button to restart it. The sound worked as usual, but absolutely no screen action. I then noticed a crack in the top right corner of the screen. It is under the glass part, on the screen. I did not drop my phone, handle it roughly, get it wet, or anything else like that. I have babied this phone, and have never once dropped it or scratched it. I have had it for a couple of months, and got it from a T-Mobile store. When I took the phone into the store, the employee told me that it was physical damage, and that I would have to contact the insurance company. I tried arguing that if it were in fact physical damage, and it was my fault, then the glass covering the screen would be cracked as well. Nothing worked, and they just kept telling me it was damaged and not defective. I called Samsung and filed a claim, and told them what happened. I also told them of other people's issues on [this] forum. They told me they haven't had any cases like this, and that they would have to look at it to see if I have to pay for the damage. Very frustrating and I have a feeling that either way I'll be footing the bill.
4l1yxme.jpgWhxzbDk.jpgf9qHbor.jpg3kogj8K.jpg3H3Wce1.jpgHgeg9a2.jpg

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
What nobody has ever said here was the internal temperature of the device itself .... If it gets hot enough it can damage the glass which in then is your fault ...

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these issues are cause by the phone being very hot which then causes the Glass to crack on the inside

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What nobody has ever said here was the internal temperature of the device itself .... If it gets hot enough it can damage the glass which in then is your fault ...

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these issues are cause by the phone being very hot which then causes the Glass to crack on the inside

Well the phone will start to display a cooling down message when it gets too hot, then it will close down apps. I have seen it before. It should also have a thermal shut down once it gets too hot, though I haven't seen it on my note 3.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Hermde

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
It's very hot here in Texas, so maybe? I don't know, but I didn't get any overheating errors or anything like that. My car was hot when I got in with the phone, and was in the car with me while I was driving for like 15 mins. Yes, I aired out the car and my a/c works. I don't understand why Samsung would make a display that can't withstand different temperatures in different states. If its going to break in the high temperatures here, then they shouldn't sell it to people here. My car's head unit doesn't shatter from being in the heat. The windows in my house don't blow out. If there is an overheating problem, then they should address that, or notify people of it at least. I see it as a design flaw, or manufacturing defect. There's no way I can shield my phone from the heat over here all of the time. It's just not possible or feasible. That's my 2 cents.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It's very hot here in Texas, so maybe? I don't know, but I didn't get any overheating errors or anything like that. My car was hot when I got in with the phone, and was in the car with me while I was driving for like 15 mins. Yes, I aired out the car and my a/c works. I don't understand why Samsung would make a display that can't withstand different temperatures in different states. If its going to break in the high temperatures here, then they shouldn't sell it to people here. My car's head unit doesn't shatter from being in the heat. The windows in my house don't blow out. If there is an overheating problem, then they should address that, or notify people of it at least. I see it as a design flaw, or manufacturing defect. There's no way I can shield my phone from the heat over here all of the time. It's just not possible or feasible. That's my 2 cents.
Nothing to do with wherever you live.... I am talking about the temperature of the phone itself... Inside. The battery can get very hot and could potentially be the cause of the phones screen cracking inside out

Hermde

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Ah, sorry for the rant then. It wasn't directed toward anyone here anyhow. My frustrations lie with Samsung. :-/
What you are saying makes sense. Do you think the Li-ion batts are overheating the phone from charging? My phone was charging right before I left my house.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Ah, sorry for the rant then. It wasn't directed toward anyone here anyhow. My frustrations lie with Samsung. :-/
What you are saying makes sense. Do you think the Li-ion batts are overheating the phone from charging? My phone was charging right before I left my house.
It can be possible and wouldn't look past it. Not saying it is reason why it is happening but I have seen nobody actually see how hot the phone actually is when they seen this happen which would require it to happen while you have the phone in your hands. It is one of the logical reasons why I think it is happening.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
What you said made sense until @Dpham00's reminder that the phone has a temperature cut out. Unless this is not active while charging?

Hermde

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Dpham00 said "though I haven't seen it on my note 3."... Does the Note 3 have that feature? Or is it set to the correct temp? I know that Li-ion batts get significantly hotter than the other type of batts. The phone most likely uses much more energy than the Galaxy S', and the battery is a lot larger. Seems like maybe they are pushing the envelope a bit on the batteries. I would have to look around to see about the overheating feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez