How do I add words to my Samsung keyboard?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can add them other than by the keyboard learning them as you type. BlackBerry's have that ability, but I have not seen it on Android.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It should add them as you type or you may have to click on the " new " word as its displayed above in the predictive word area to confirm its entry into your keyboard dictionary.

Sent from my awesome HTC One using Tapatalk.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, but I thought that if you pressed that right-pointing arrow in the section above the keyboard (where it shows possible words), that would add it to the dictionary. If that's not what the arrow button does, can someone clarify what it is used for?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It's used as a "next" button, sometimes for moving to the next field on a page/form etc...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. That makes sense, but when I've used it, it hasn't moved to another field. That could be because I haven't used it when there were more than one available field though. I never paid that much attention.

The way I've usually used it has been to force words I type to stay that way and prevent the keyboard from auto-correcting them to something else. Once I finish typing the word the keyboard wants to auto-correct if I type a space, I hit that arrow key and it moves ahead leaving the word as I typed it. It's always seemed to work for preventing auto-correct, so I thought that was its purpose. If not though, how are you supposed to prevent words from getting changed by auto-correct?

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I wasn't clear, but I wasn't asking asking about how to turn off auto-correct completely. I was asking about preventing auto-correct on a per-word basis. From my experience, it seems like using the arrow key above the keyboard does that, and I think it also adds the word to the dictionary.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the arrow is supposed to add the word but it doesn't work right all the time. Sometimes the keyboard still tries to auto correct words that I've added using the arrow key.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
How do I add words to my Samsung note 3 keyboard

I stumbled on this by chance but if you go into settings/controls/language and input, click personal dictionaries, choose one of the dictionaries there and click the "plus" sign at the top right you can add words like "i'mma" or "ur" hope this helps... Make sure to add the words to both dictionaries if u see more then one.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
There is but a bit different from how it was described above - go to Settings/Controls/Language and Input and it is the second option

1387944668608.jpg

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
So I played around with this a lot more and figured some things out. The curved right arrow does indeed make it learn the word. Type something strange, tap the curved arrow and then type the same thing again and you will see your new word in the list. Also, long press the new word and it will give you the option to forget it.

I also figured that all this would be specific to whatever keyboard you are using so explore the options under Samsung Keyboard and you will find many interesting things including these predictive text settings:

1387945633357.jpg

Jeff Bowman

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm probably way late to the party here, but you need to use the Swype keyboard on your Note. Not the Samsung keyboard. Go to settings= language and input= keyboards and input methods. Under default, choose Swype instead of Samsung keyboard. I noticed with the change to 4.3, the Samsung keyboard wasn't as good. The Swype keyboard works better for me. I can save words to dictionary and the predictive text is much better. Hope this helps.
I have a Samsung galaxy note 2,btw.

baschubert

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Guys Thank you all very much but i'm still looking for answers to my question in this regard , if anyone can help I'd appreciate it !

I tried Samsung and Swype keyboard and I was more comfortable with Samsung one, did you guys finally find out why we can't add new words to this keyboard on Note3?
Swype does learn and add to it's dictionary but has its own issues: a) it hangs and slows down the system. b) I'm not crazy about it's key setup and multiple pages to use numbers or symbols c) I see online that there's a monthly charge for using MMS...

If my Samsung would just learn my words I'm one happy guy !!!

thanks

msoren8

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You actually can add new words. all you have to do is go to SETTING/CONTROLS/LANGUAGE AND INPUT/ hit the gear next to SAMSUNG KEYBOARD/ tap on the words PREDICTIVE TEXT and then tap LEARN FROM MESSAGES. Once this is done, start a text message and then hit the white arrow that comes up. Your phone has now learned the word that you wanted it too.