Problem with Samsung's Music App on Galaxy Note 3

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm having problems using Samsung's pre-installed Music app to play songs stored on my SD card. A week or so ago, my SD card stopped working for reasons unknown to me, so I got a new one. I copied stuff from my computer to it, and things seemed to be fine. But when I start the Music app, it takes a few seconds before "Unfortunately, Music has stopped." appears over the list of folders. I click OK, then click a folder, and the same thing happens again -- there's a pause (shorter than the first, it seems), then the stopped message. When I click OK and then pick a song, nothing seems to happen. I can hit the home button and exit out, so it's not like it completely locked up, but it certainly isn't playing music. Other apps like Play Music work fine though, and this problem with Music only started after I put in the new SD card. I'm not sure if there's a direct cause-effect relation here with the SD card, but something is definitely off now that wasn't before. Does anyone know how I might try to fix this problem? I'm guessing that resetting the phone will do it, but I'd prefer not to do that if I don't have to. And in this case, since I can use other apps, I'm not inclined to basically wipe my phone to try to fix one app that's acting up when I have suitable alternatives to use without wiping the device. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problem with Samsung's Music App

I'm having problems using Samsung's pre-installed Music app to play songs stored on my SD card. A week or so ago, my SD card stopped working for reasons unknown to me, so I got a new one. I copied stuff from my computer to it, and things seemed to be fine. But when I start the Music app, it takes a few seconds before "Unfortunately, Music has stopped." appears over the list of folders. I click OK, then click a folder, and the same thing happens again -- there's a pause (shorter than the first, it seems), then the stopped message. When I click OK and then pick a song, nothing seems to happen. I can hit the home button and exit out, so it's not like it completely locked up, but it certainly isn't playing music. Other apps like Play Music work fine though, and this problem with Music only started after I put in the new SD card. I'm not sure if there's a direct cause-effect relation here with the SD card, but something is definitely off now that wasn't before. Does anyone know how I might try to fix this problem? I'm guessing that resetting the phone will do it, but I'd prefer not to do that if I don't have to. And in this case, since I can use other apps, I'm not inclined to basically wipe my phone to try to fix one app that's acting up when I have suitable alternatives to use without wiping the device. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I would suggest a different player app like PowerAmp. Now that app is very good, but it is a paid app, $4 or $5. However, they do allow a trial period (2 weeks as I recall) to see if you like it. Install the lite version, and test it. If it works, great, you have a workaround. If not, you aren't out anything and you will at least know within minutes if it works.
I found PowerAmp to be better than most of the other players in Play. More options, built in equalizer, etc.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Newer Samsung devices seem to have a VERY buggy SD-Card support experience, often 'frying' card after card (the issue aggravates if yours happens to be SanDisk and even more if it's the "Ultra Line" with the cherry on top being if it also happens to be a 32GB one).

As for the Music Player issue, have you tried clearing cache and/or data for the app? That usually fixes things when apps go bonkers. (Settings, Application Manager, "All" tab, look for the Music app).

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I am using a different music player app at the moment, because other ones seem to work fine. It's just the pre-installed Samsung Music app that doesn't seem to work properly anymore. And it only happened after I switched the SD card. I don't know why the SD card should matter -- it's just a storage device and I put the same music files on it as the previous card. The old one probably had more, and leftovers from being in my Epic 4G and having apps installed to it. If anything, the new card should be cleaner since it wasn't used in another phone, and have less potentially incompatible stuff. *shrug*

I did try to clear the cache and data, as well as force stop the Music app, but that didn't fix things, unfortunately. My old card was a 32GB by PNY, but the new one is a 64GB SanDisk Ultra. I hope it's not going to have issues with the Note 3. I did some web searching for info about SD cards compatible with the Note 3 and the SanDisk Ultra seemed to get good recommendations, from what I saw. I think I've had SanDisk products in the past and IIRC they worked well. Things seem OK right now and hopefully they'll stay that way. But it probably would be a good idea for me to back up new content on the SD card to my computer more regularly than I used to, just in case.

Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone else has a possible fix, short of resetting the phone which I don't want to do, please let me know.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Newer Samsung devices seem to have a VERY buggy SD-Card support experience, often 'frying' card after card (the issue aggravates if yours happens to be SanDisk and even more if it's the "Ultra Line" with the cherry on top being if it also happens to be a 32GB one).

As for the Music Player issue, have you tried clearing cache and/or data for the app? That usually fixes things when apps go bonkers. (Settings, Application Manager, "All" tab, look for the Music app).

I have a 64 gb sd card and I've had no trouble.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Most of the time you don't notice it, until mysteriously your battery life begins to drop. Suddenly, the "Media" process seems to be taking quite a chunk out of your battery. The reason? Your card is unmounting/remounting itself. Every time it remounts, the phone scans the card, and this is what causes the drain. Most of the time, this happens when you're not using the phone, so you don't actually see the unmounted/remounted messages. But that's just the beginning... if it goes on, sooner than later you'll get these unmounts right in the middle of something, like taking pictures or recording video, and you can guess what happens then.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I know this thread is kind of old, but (a) it's mine, and (b) I managed to fix my problem, so I'm going to bump this. The reason this topic came up again is because I just got the Samsung S View flip cover, and found out the music controls on its closed-cover screen only work with the default music app. So I started web searching for solutions again. Over on XDA, I found my answer (Unfortunately Music has stopped working - xda-developers) -- clear cache and data for Music, clear cache and data for Media Storage, reboot, give the phone ~15 minutes, then try Music again. It was clearing Media Storage that did the trick. I guess something with it got corrupted somehow when I changed my SD card, and by clearing its data and cache, I forced it to rebuild its info for the new SD card, and Music is working again. :) I hope this helps others.

Milind Vashist

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

dronak thanks a lot, my note 3 had same problem. Now it is fixed!!! I was trying to fix it from an hour. Wish I had found your post earlier, thanks again man!

dahaiou

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem on a brand new S5 and the above instructions worked great.
Problem solved as far as I can see.

I am just wondering about the waiting for 15 mins bit? Why is that necessary?
I didn't actually bother with that and it still worked.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I had some trouble finding the solution, so I'm glad the information has helped others.

dllrogers55, the same way you do it for Music: use the Application Manager, go to the All tab, find and tap on Media Storage, then tap on the Clear Data and/or Clear Cache buttons.

dahaiou, I think the idea behind waiting is to allow the phone to finish rebuilding the music data and/or cache from scratch so that you don't access it while the rebuilding is going on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non