Definitely sticking to metal phones.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
So the inevitable happened. Phone fell out of pajama pants this weekend. Would not have been a problem had I not removed the carpet in the study for the hardwood like the wife wanted. Just smooth concrete now which some of you may know is not as soft as carpet. So phone fell out of pocket and was laying in the chair. I felt it slide out and instinctively reached to grab it. I missed and pushed it out the back of the chair. So the phone fell about 12"-18". My old phone was an HTC Titan WP. It survived 3 falls from kitchen counter height to ceramic tile with less damage than this phone received. My Titan had 2 dents, after 2 years of use, of smaller diameter than this one. I am not sure how this phone is going to survive for 2 years without a case at some point.

Bad samsung. I love the faux leather back, but the plastic edge needs to be real metal, not faux. Day I got this phone I thought the plastic felt "soft" around the edge. Not the high quality plastic I would have assumed an all plastic phone manufacturer would choose.

Attachments

• dent.jpg
    dent.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 273

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Metal gets damaged to. All do. Phones aren't meant to be dropped hence why the case business is booming :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Well metal is still stronger and much more durable.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388445313437.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388445313437.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 238
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388445325121.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388445325121.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 238

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well metal is still stronger and much more durable.

While that is a fact so is my statement. They know they'll be dropped but they can't make them lighter and skinner without sacrificing something.

Either way it sucks. I have one tiny knick on mine but that's my fault for dropping it.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
How does one go about replacing the frame of a note 3? I see screws when I pull the back off if I remove those is the surround bumper edge a separate piece?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No offense but the titan isn't really comparable. about as much weight as the note 3 but has a 4.7" screen and half the battery size.

But let's be realistic for a second. Even a metal phone can get a cracked screen from a lower drop, depending on how it falls.

If having a metal phone is the most important criterion, then you should certainly pick up a metal phone

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Took a chance with plastic despite the overwhelming Internet criticism of plastic phones. Iphone is tiny but light as a feather and metal. Yes metal may be heavier but at the same thickness as plastic will be stronger. Titan was a well built device except the back was not that well attached. I have never had a cracked screen from a drop. Yes any phone that falls flat on screen will likely cracked the screen. I was comparing back drops of my Titan and n3. Titan was Far the winner.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Took a chance with plastic despite the overwhelming Internet criticism of plastic phones. Iphone is tiny but light as a feather and metal. Yes metal may be heavier but at the same thickness as plastic will be stronger. Titan was a well built device except the back was not that well attached. I have never had a cracked screen from a drop. Yes any phone that falls flat on screen will likely cracked the screen. I was comparing back drops of my Titan and n3. Titan was Far the winner.

The titan was built like a tank. If the note were built like that, it would be much heavier. But if the back cover is a concern, get a third party back cover. And at a bumper would prevent the side damage.

Of course, the cases that were on sale for $1 would do a better job of protection, but they are also more bulky.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
With a $750.00 price tag on those phone . It need a case. I have the outer commuter box.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If you want to compare old crappy phones let's just say the old Nextel phones are the winner. You could run them over with a truck and keep right on chugging.

hcane466

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
For $11 you can get a very good Spiegen case on Amazon. ..not only will it or any case protect your phone..but you also get a phone with a much better feel in your hand....much better grip.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for your loss power5. A replacement bezel will be available, if it isn't already. And while I fly naked too (at least no case), so I can't really complain if/when it happens to me, a couple buck case is well worth the insurance on a couple hundred dollar phone. Good luck

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I just looked at the same spot on my phone that OP shows and I had a little bubble there. I took the spen out and it is very flimsy plastic. I barely put any pressure and you can see the plastic bend a little.
Don't get me wrong, the Note 3 is the best phone I have ever owned, just wish the build quality would be a bit more sturdy.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I got a much worse ding on my metal HTC One than the one on your Note 3 from a fall onto concrete from a similar height as the one you have described. It is honestly more about the physics of the particular fall than it is about what material your phone is made from.

Also, I also had a Titan! It is sitting on my bathroom counter right now because I had to pull it into service for a couple weeks as a back up not to long ago!

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmm, I think this is exactly why cases are a such a large cottage industry. Because you should use one on your phone....wow.

What the **** do you expect when dropping ANY phone on concrete, metal or plastic?????

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm, I think this is exactly why cases are a such a large cottage industry. Because you should use one on your phone....wow.

What the **** do you expect when dropping ANY phone on concrete, metal or plastic?????

Don't get me wrong, I use cases on all my phones, with a few to choose from for every phone.
But phones are also designed to be enjoyed the way they are from the manufacturer.. For example the Note 3 has a very comfortable to hold faux leather back. How can they be enjoyed with a case on?
Phones "should" be also designed to withstand a little abuse before crumbling.
Having a plastic frame might be a shortfall on the design of the Note 3. It doesn't make it a bad device by any means though.

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I use cases on all my phones, with a few to choose from for every phone.
But phones are also designed to be enjoyed the way they are from the manufacturer.. For example the Note 3 has a very comfortable to hold faux leather back. How can they be enjoyed with a case on?
Phones "should" be also designed to withstand a little abuse before crumbling.
Having a plastic frame might be a shortfall on the design of the Note 3. It doesn't make it a bad device by any means though.

Concerning what you said about enjoying the leather back, and considering the damage done to the edges, you might consider just getting a bumper case. It'll only protect the sides, leaving the back free but protecting your phone's edges nonetheless.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's true. I have also been thinking of picking up the S View case. Still provides the comfortable feel while adding some protection.