Samsung Note 3 unresponsive touch screen fingers (solved)

hshaltout

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the note3 and had the auto update software checked. only yesterday did she notice that the screen was unresponsive and she can only use the phone by using the s pen. what was weird was that when she closed the scover, the finger touches still didn't work from the scover...but the spen was able to function with the scover. my wife informed me that there was an update to the play store and the Samsung apps.... with luck I went to the Application manager and clicked on Google play store services and chose the uninstall updates which restored this service to the factory default. I restated the phone and bam the touch screen was working again.
I was going to go through anything related to play store or Samsung apps and have the updates removed from them but the Google play services did the trick from the first time.
now I turned off the auto update checkbox and I keep getting an error message saying that I need to update the Google play services....which I will not do for the time being.... hoping that Samsung will fix it somehow....

just wanted to post my success story for the future problem seekers.

---------------------------------
Updated on 22/10/2014
---------------------------------
Eventually this has occurred for the second time and Samsung installed a firmware update which I thought was odd. Then this week The third time happened and they say a software fix is not possible and they blame some scratches on the cover of the phone that is the reason of the hardware failure.
Samsung is not trying to understand that I have been complaining from the same issue for three times and suddenly they have realized that I have a hardware problem and blaming it on me.
My advice, if you face this issue, don't let anyone tell you better, and request that the hardware be changed. Do not accept a software fix as a compromise because as soon as you have one single scratch on that phone, they will not compromise and will not fix you phone, they will simply make you pay for a complete screen replacement.

Samsung service sucks and I will never buy another Samsung phone again.

Last edited:

efu671

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Is your S-Cover an authentic Samsung product? I've read on other forums that third-party covers are not yet compatible with the update but will be in a future update. Good luck.

Thewatwatman

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have the same problem as hshaltout. My Note 3 only works with the s pen. i tried the solution he posted there but to no avail. Please assist if you have encountered the same. Its very frustrating using the s pen for everything.:'(

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I know its a pain in the rear to set up your phone again, but if your phone doesn't work and it's under warranty...which it should be. Why not just get a new phone? Your phone should just work...updates and all.

adianez

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. What I just did was turning off the equipment, take the battery off, took the nano sim of the cover out, took the Gsm sim out too. Put everything again, turn on the phone and it was fixed.

hshaltout

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Just want to say it happened again. I retried this method and it didn't work. I even tried removing all updates on all other services and still I have an unresponsive screen. Im going to format it. IF that doesn't work im going to go and have checked under warranty.

ErynLeigh

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same problem on my S3, I solved it quickly with the following.
Here's how:
1. Drag down the notifications panel
2. Click on the settings icon at the top
3. Under the "Controls" tab scroll to the last option "Auto-adjust touch sensitivity" and check the box

evolutionofj

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you!! It has been driving me NUTS! It used to happen every once in a while, I would turn off phone for a while, upon restart would be fine. Was thinking, its a computer, it needs a break apparently. However, lately it has been more and more to where now I'm restarting nearly twice a day! I thought my phone had been damaged and whatever electromagnetic field that caused the touch screen to work needed to be replaced. Was starting to wish I went to ITT instead of Ecotech! At any rate, I just did your suggestion, so I wont know if it worked on mine for a couple days. But THANK YOU and it makes sense. Hopefully they fix it! Cheers :)

patval

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Can you explain how you did that ? what services you uninstalled and how you did it, then how you reinstalled them ?

I just factory reset my note 4, and I still have the same problem.

Thank you very much