Note 3: What are people actually using the S Pen for?

hawkeye680

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: What are people actually using the S Pen for?

The most practical, basic, but effective use of the large screen, pen, and split screen functionality - split screen between text messages and S Note.

When I send out texts about my softball team's games, when guys reply telling me they will or will not be there, I make my list on my phone and not a sticky note that will get lost between here and there. Sounds small but really cemented my appreciation for the device's capabilities.

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

Upon getting my Note 3 I went on YouTube to look at tutorials of the features. I have been using most of the s-pen features but I learned a few on this thread such as photo note. I make a lot more use of the s-pen than I thought I would but I use it most to write on screenshots.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Upon getting my Note 3 I went on YouTube to look at tutorials of the features. I have been using most of the s-pen features but I learned a few on this thread such as photo note. I make a lot more use of the s-pen than I thought I would but I use it most to write on screenshots.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

I don't know if you seen this but if you hold the pen button down and draw around something on the screen (be sure to connect both end of your circle or square), you can actually do a cut and paste of just a small part of the screen instead of the whole thing. Works good for sending someone something on a web site (such as a pic) without sending the whole page.

waz ahmer

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

I use it to make up my orders of stock and its helping me to take in ?12000 per month of customer orders so yes S Pen is a Money magnet lol

Ulimate Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if you seen this but if you hold the pen button down and draw around something on the screen (be sure to connect both end of your circle or square), you can actually do a cut and paste of just a small part of the screen instead of the whole thing. Works good for sending someone something on a web site (such as a pic) without sending the whole page.

No it doesn't!
That's just a myth!
I have never gotten that to work for me at all! So there!
Actually I thought that was only for photos, or you needed scrapbooker for web pages, and I never saw that starting dot you have to come back to. Thanks.

Not bad for someone who can't divide by 5 and multiply by 3.
OK that was probably your example. :)

davu8yga.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Take notes, texting, browsing the web, drawing, photo editing, and even some games. I use it for a lot one day and not at all the next. it's about precision and accuracy.

Posted via Android Central App

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Wow, another great feature I didn't know existed. Thanks

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Wow, another great feature I didn't know existed. Thanks

I think a Samsung Rep showed me that and it's probably the single biggest thing I use my pen for. I'm always seeing something I want to send to someone. Even if you just want to show someone an icon on your screen or whatever. There's just so many uses for it.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

I need to remember to use it lol. I am new to the Note line (3 weeks).

That's true of a lot of functions on the Note. So many phones CAN'T do these things that you have to train yourself to remember that they ARE there for you to use now.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

x
How do you do this?
Hi and welcome to the forums. @clitrenta can answer this better but - try on a photo or screenshot, but I know now it works on any screen.
Tap the screen if you need to clear the air command options disc thingy. Holding the pen button in, start a rough circle. It will only work if you come back to the spot you started so as to complete a rough circle. Try it a few times and you will see where you start has a loop button to help you come back. When this cropped area is highlighted, you will see send and save options at the bottom; but also you have the "Easy Clip" options bar upper left. This will help you change the area in to a proper shape and other stuff. Touch the 'i' info button for a guide. There is more there with the horseshoe I haven't tried yet. Good luck.

Also as a new member try and say hi if you want to in 'Introductions' which is in 'Android Central Community'. Read a few. The Ambassadors that respond can guide you with any issues, or just continue posting here. Enjoy.

a9e7a4an.jpg

uqujy9ug.jpg

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I use it for just about all input. It just feels good to be able to write things out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3... yeah, it's spectacular!

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

I don't use my enough, but the most useful thing I do with it is get the Hover state for websites that are badly written and wouldn't normally be useable on a mobile device.

One recent site was MAXON | 3D FOR THE REAL WORLD: Home There are alternatives to the drop down menus but it makes it a much nicer experience when you use the S-Pen to hover over them.

nasirhussain

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

I use spen often easy to write anything but main thing is love to draw... Spen is amazing..

Posted via Android Central App

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Am I blind or is there no way to use the S Pen to create a calendar appointment (besides as a substitute for the finger that is)??

You can open an "Action Memo" to write down an appointment, then use the lasso (3rd icon over) to circle it, then on the pop up window select the icon on far right (looks like a check list) and what you wrote will be entered in as a calendar appointment.